Author Topic: Sketchup and Torque 3D--Compatibility???  (Read 5102 times)

Hey, i saw on the Torque 3D online documentation that Torque supports DAE (Collada) models.... and i also saw that it said you could import .KMZ models (Google Earth) directly into the engine/game....... any clarification on this? You can export from sketchup to a KMZ file and thats convertable into the DAE file, but thats all I really know myself... Does the torque engine Blockland uses support .DAE (or .KMZ) files??? Im an artist, not a coder; I really cant use any 3D modeling programs except for Sketchup, zBrush (which my trial expired on, and it doesnt export either .dts or .dae T_T), and 3DS Max (which REALLY messed up my computer). Ive tried getting the dts exporter to work for Blender but it will not install no matter what i do. I have Python but it doesnt even install the script it says (Couldnt locate blender folder!) and doesnt install. Milkshape SUX and its not open-source. I WOULD have a way to make this work for me but i cant get the exporter plugin to work for blender, so ive given up on that. \

What am i asking?

Does Blockland support .DAE or .KMZ files?

Thank you.

Blockland uses .dts files.  You'll have to export any model you want to use in blockland into that format.

You can convert them, Use search

Blockland uses .dts files.  You'll have to export any model you want to use in blockland into that format.
Ugh.... ok, thx. Of course..... the stupid dts exporter plugin for blender wont install for me..... sigh, guess ill just use something else.... any suggestions?

Ugh.... ok, thx. Of course..... the stupid dts exporter plugin for blender wont install for me..... sigh, guess ill just use something else.... any suggestions?

You need Python

You need Python
I couldnt get the thing to install. I already had python, the script itself wouldnt install into blenders directories.

But thats not an issue anymore. I got it to install. BUT--

The KMZ importer will not function properly (all files have no edges) and the Collada importers will not even run. All other import scripts work fine, but the collada importer says that python isnt installed (which it is). Help?

Update both
OK i got the model into blender and the Exporter is functioning. HOWEVER every single model i create has empty geometry in the export. Only things present are the nodes. Log says warning: No detail levels or somethin..... the geometry DOES show up in blender but not Blockland, can you help me?

Unzip a KMZ.
I want to add that Sketchup has a dae exporter in it by default now, even the free version. You can also download ruby plugins that export in a few other formats (obj is common). Perhaps most importantly, valve published a vmf/stl exporter that will let you make maps and models that you can import into hammer (and then you can export the maps as a dif if you want).

If you plan on doing any 3d modeling for an interior (not a dts) make sure you are very familiar with the concept of a convex hull and that you exclusively draw convex hulls and group them correctly (groups and components in sketchup will be converted into brushes if they are a legal shape).
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 09:36:06 AM by Wedge »

Perhaps Badspot can make .DAE/.KMZ model compatibility. Until then, use a .DAE to .DTS converter.

Log says warning: No detail levels or somethin.....

Maybe you should learn to use blender *couch*, I have no clue on how to use it. But i do know details are important.

I quote:
Next, press spacebar and add a new empty. Call it Shape. After that Make another empty and call it detail32. Parent your mesh(ctrl+P), and all your bones to Detail32 and parent Detail32 to Shape.
This is the level of detail, i'm not going to go into detail about this since you don't really need to know more about it, just do this every time you make an add on or else it won't show up in 3rd person.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 02:29:33 PM by goz3rr »

Perhaps Badspot can make .DAE/.KMZ model compatibility. Until then, use a .DAE to .DTS converter.
That's incredibly stupid idea. Torque 3D content is not backwards compatible, get over it.

Maybe you should learn to use blender *couch*, I have no clue on how to use it. But i do know details are important.

I quote:
I did that.............

I want to add that Sketchup has a dae exporter in it by default now, even the free version. You can also download ruby plugins that export in a few other formats (obj is common). Perhaps most importantly, valve published a vmf/stl exporter that will let you make maps and models that you can import into hammer (and then you can export the maps as a dif if you want).

If you plan on doing any 3d modeling for an interior (not a dts) make sure you are very familiar with the concept of a convex hull and that you exclusively draw convex hulls and group them correctly (groups and components in sketchup will be converted into brushes if they are a legal shape).
Wow.... thanks; i knew Sketchup had a Dae exporter, but the importer for blender doesnt work (lord knows why). Thanks for all the info.... That can be useful. I Dled sketchup pro.... ive only noticed one difference, and thats beign able to export 3ds...... $495 for exporters >_>