Author Topic: Earthquake in New Hampshire?  (Read 7170 times)

Wah wah, the ground rumbled. I just went through a 7.1 mag earthquake at 10km deep occuring at 4:30AM in the morning. I woke up to what felt like the house was going to fall down. The power went out, furniture flew around everywhere, and as you ran through the hall you were thrown about. In fact, the ground looked as if it was rippling. Each day, we get 3.9 to 4.5 magnitude aftershocks more than once... there was one just now, in fact.

Maybe you should get some supplies in case a big quake does hit. And I hope you don't go through anything big. But seriously, harden up.

Uh, wow. I'd be scared stuffless if my house was jiggling like gelatin! Also I think NH is about the safest place in the US. The worst you'll get is a fierce ice-storm (power lines down, having to drive to a relatives, etc) so I don't think I'll have to worry about 'quakes around here for a while.

What are the aftershocks like? Do they jolt plugs out of their sockets/shake glasses off of tables?

If your in an area that has 7 mag earthquakes, you should probably already have a good plan and know which doors can be braced on.

If you knew anything about what happened, you'd know everyone was surprised that Canterbury was where the Earthquake hit, and not somewhere else.

You've severely discredited yourself anyway. If you are genuinely trying to convince me that leaving two startled young children in their beds as the house is shaking and the power goes out is the right thing to do, you are very misguided. While it may be moving around the house isn't recommended, those guidelines are written in a way that very much speaks for people to deal with it independently, as if they were on their own. In our circumstance, with a biggish family, a big sturdy table that was near exits, close to supplies, and shielded from windows (and located only next door to two of the main bedrooms) is a far more levelheaded approach. You won't quite understand until you are in a disaster like that. Its easy to post out snippets of what you should do from government websites and pretend to be righteous, but when something like that hits you'll understand what the best measure is right then and there. And for our general wellbeing, our course of action was pefectly suitable and look-- nobody got harmed, especially not mentally, as they would had we all been separated and hiding under our blankets for the next few minutes. If you want to get up and stand in a door frame where the door is opening and closing itself for several hours while violent and persistent aftershocks hit, or just sit in your bed and let items in your bedroom assault you, go ahead. In fact, one woman on the news was almost killed in her bedroom because a chimney collapsed in, going through her roof, and landing on her pillow. Had she not got up, she would have been killed.

What are the aftershocks like? Do they jolt plugs out of their sockets/shake glasses off of tables?

Well, they are really loud (as in, you can often here them rumble before they come) and then its a rolling motion. Once or twice, its been a violent push. But nothing more than what can make you feel a little giddy and maybe cause household objects to vibrate or shift a millimeter. They are getting less frequent now! Yay.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 02:12:11 PM by Sheath »

You people are really trying to fish for these jokes, aren't you?
Hugums jokes or cause-of-earthquake jokes?

Earthquakes aren't that bad lol

It's sort of like standing up on a bus on a bumpy road. Sometimes it sucks cause it knocks stuff over and they fall on you (happened to me with a plaque :( ), but most of the time it just rumbles a lot.

And I live in Southern California.

My state hasn't had an earthquake in like 100,000,000 years. Or it might've never had one.
Its WI

My state hasn't had an earthquake in like 100,000,000 years. Or it might've never had one.
Its WI

Wisconsin? Thats a joke, right..

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/states/wisconsin/history.php

One time, here in California on Easter Day, we had one of those "rolling" Earthquakes. It felt like standing on a Goddamn boat at sea. It lasted from 30 seconds to 45 seconds, maybe 60 seconds at most.

What y'all make of this? Check this stuff out!

One time, here in California on Easter Day, we had one of those "rolling" Earthquakes. It felt like standing on a Goddamn boat at sea. It lasted from 30 seconds to 45 seconds, maybe 60 seconds at most.

What y'all make of this? Check this stuff out!

Mmmhmm, mock my terrifying experience but cry over yours. How very insensitive of you.

Mmmhmm, mock my terrifying experience but cry over yours. How very insensitive of you.

What'd I say?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgT7Q6GZ1zk

You quoted my post and put that, as if its a laughing matter.
Anyway, I don't care so much. Also, I found some videos too of the Earthquake I experienced :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qicEGJjqyFM&feature=related

Oh, right, the Mass Effect video. I forgot I put that up.