Author Topic: How Blockland has changed FOR you over time.  (Read 6238 times)

Does anyone else agree that Blockland's feel or 'atmosphere' has drastically, drastically changed over the years? I'm not making the implication that 'I don't like it anymore', but more pointing out the reason I play it at all. Blockland is a constantly changing game, and every day, more or less, there is something new to see. I've always liked Lego, but to be honest it was often more interesting to see the finished product of a Lego set built by someone else; it was the prospect of something new and unfamiliar that awed me. Of course, I loved to build as well.

Blockland was very different in v8. That's when I came in. My ID was 3898, and for a time I did not wish to change my name from Blockhead3898. I find myself being a bit of a hypocrite when finding other, new Blockheads, telling them to find a name for themselves.

I think the first thing I tried when I bought Blockland was I joined a server. I found some very large city-esque build in Slate. I think I saved it, and began to screw around with it. It then turned into a big mess of cities glued through eachother.
One other particular nostalgic thought was those rather simplistic, makeshift, and unprofessional 'laboratory' builds I can remember from the Slopes, with multiple rooms often relevant to conspiracy-bred radical ideas and funny science-fiction top-secret nonsense. As I grew from being an idiot, I began to host more cohesive servers. I can remember 'The Planets' and the colonies I made on Earth and other planets, particularly using Space Guy's event mod. I can remember the time I delved into the creating of massive tombs and pyramids, which I admittedly stole partially to create. I can remember my first replication of Portal; pathetic compared to my attempts of now, but do hold a place in my mind.
So many thoughts I can't hold them all together.

In v9, events changed everything. I at first had no idea how to use them. I eventually created the preface for Cyblock, the concept then was actually to be a cyberspace; the concept []----[] and I now have is far different, Cyblock being an alternate dimension highly similar to human cyberspace due to its suggestible properties and accidental tampering. Events may have changed Blockland into a more numerical and ordered world, but this is not a bad thing, but it is not strictly a good thing. Of course, there were events before the official thing, but this allowed for a much wider array of complexity. I'd much rather have this, but it did somewhat cloud my memories of Blockland's original form.

My first real attempt at add-ons; the Iron Man suit. This had a terrible model, but I learned to create something rather unique to my knowledge, I felt this was a step forward for me. I also think this made be begin to see Blockland in less of an astonishing sight. These 'add-ons' used to be a mystery. But as I unscrambled them, Blockland became more and more solid and abstract.

Blockland is now a very, very refined and well-polished game, and I hope it will continue to do so for a while. I've respected every year and era Blockland has gone through, and they all hold memories quite dear.

Sorry for making this so long, but if you have the time, I don't know, I'd like it if some actually read it. I didn't particularly edit this much at all.
meh
There's probably a lot in what I said that I'd reword or rethink.

Anyway, who else feels that Blockland's feel has changed dramatically over time in many different ways? Do you feel your experience had been different from others, or that your actions had wrote a story to what you've done on Blockland?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 05:10:50 PM by The Titanium »

I too feel that blockland has changed much over time. I began out at the end of V8, so I had little feel of Blockland before events.

I also think that blockland has to be the most open-ended and abstract game I ever played. And the torque script fortunately is very easy =P.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 09:13:05 PM by pecon7 »

Post here.

Ill edit when I finish reading.

Really, did you just want a first post?
Wow.

[]----[]
I'm still mad at that guy for blocking my build in Badspot's :cookieMonster:

I remember my 2005 days. :>

:O?
Thou cometh from the primordial ooze?

The first server i remember joining was a medieval RP, i was some Weapons seller, and kept on asking so many questions that the host banned me. :P

I remember building my first house in demo, and a poorly made pirate ship, and a NASA space ship pod thingy.

However, due to reinstalling, i lost the saves to them, but i still remember them in my head.

Yeah, the memories are what count to be honest

Yeah, the memories are what count to be honest
i got tons of em :\
I remember my first attempt at a demohouse but i ran out of bricks, was in the kitchen map and my first server was sampapa's

I'm a 19K, so I really haven't witnessed anything "huge" like events coming out, or retail being released. But I do think that it changed for me, over time. All I used to do when I was Blockhead19500 was go to freebuild servers and just watch people build. Now, I have helped with a few big projects, and now I think that building is one of the funnest parts of the game. I still remember the awe that I felt when I saw the Blockland physics trailer for v11, then again at joining my first Blockland server, and then again when I learned to event.

My most fond memories are from when I joined. The first server I joined was a free roam on beta city, and there was lots of spam, vehicles, weapons, and just people flying around. I jumped into a X-wing and just flew around the map. My next fondest memory was when I joined a server that was a freebuild, and the host built a tunnel inside of the bed. You never knew you were in the bed since there was no crack to see the outside of the build, and the inside of the bed. I saved it, and messed around with it. It was a very special build to me, but due to reinstalling I lost it. All these events happened in V8, before actual events existed. My ID was 4121, and my name for default, was Blockhead4122(two 2s because in those days your default name was blockhead, then your ID plus one.). Then, a few versions later my brother got a ID, 7708. A few versions later he quit and I got 7708, and my name was Shortcut, then Mahoney, and finally, my present name Kopaka.

This game changed me from the small child who didn't know a thing about tech, to the person I am today. I know more about tech, I am the top of my classes, and I am more mature.

This game changed me from the small child who didn't know a thing about tech, to the person I am today.
and im still a perfectionist
but yeah
now im
at least
not a 'noob'
compared to what i consider what i was...

I joined in V11, and even though this isn't long compared to a lot of people I know, I've witnessed V9 by playing with a friend. Blockland has changed my motor skills and got me interested in technology. If it wasn't for this game I would be just an average Joe and most likely would've failed keyboarding. I think this game has changed over time as it's community has. I always seem to miss people I meet and never see again in-game.

I wish I could meet everyone that plays this game, just to see who has made me different.