Mail Bag: Infringed Copyright... of a dog

Author Topic: Mail Bag: Infringed Copyright... of a dog  (Read 31356 times)

Badspot

• Administrator
I just got this and it literally blew my mind.  I was physically stunned.  Like the guy hit some kind of stupidity pressure point inside my brain.  

Subject: Infringed Copyright
Quote from: smsdt@hotmail.com
I would like to bring your attention to this forum thread http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=141279.0. The thread is actively encouraging the theft of images, and specifically the user ‘Placid’ has stolen mine. My image is copyrighted, a factor which ‘Placid’ admits to in the thread yet continued to find a way around the image protection. I would ask you to remove this thread with immediate effect and warn your users such behaviour is illegal, as far  as i am concerned copyright infringement will not be accepted.

Regards

Simon Turner

Yes, this guy is for real.  He edited the description on the flickr page (emphasis added by me):

Quote from: http://www.flickr.com/photos/si-turner/5339495461/
13/1/2010 - I would just like to say thankyou to everyone for all their lovely comments, and for getting this explored, its a very nice feeling to know others appreciate my work and my gorgeous little puppy. Sadly however someone has already stolen the image and is using it on a forum where they knowingly steal images. It is illegal to use this image without my permission, please look, appreciate (if you like it) and leave in place!

I feel kind of sad for the guy because he must never get any traffic, yet checks the brown townytics frequently enough to notice a referral from the Blockland forums inside 6 hours.  

Quote from: support@blockland.us
You are bringing legal threats into a group of minors playing a game of cut and paste.  If you really want to persue this you could file a DMCA request with tinypic.com, who is currently hosting the image.  Note that people don't like being told what to do, especially when it is this ridiculous.  They'll just repost it somewhere else because they know that you're powerless to stop them.  

You seem like an utterly unpleasant individual.  Please don't punch me.  

Legal Note:  That is an actual picture of the dude from his flickr account which is (of course) copyrighted.  Luckily, I am a certified e-lawyer.  Watch this: I am reproducing the image here under the terms of fair use set out in 17 U.S.C. § 107 for the purposes of criticism, comment, news reporting and research (into noobs).  

Quote from: support@blockland.us
You are bringing legal threats into a group of minors playing a game of cut and paste.
oh god that just made me crack up

You seem like an utterly unpleasant individual.  Please don't punch me.

just made my entire day.

I actually can't tell what the guy is doing in that picture.

Badspot

• Administrator

He is striking a fearsome pose with his fists.  Although we can't see his mouth so he could be eating something, flossing or playing a small musical instrument such as a kazoo or Jew's harp.

yo niga dont fuk with him he gona beat u up

Don't punch Badspot! D:

How much you want to bet someones going to send him an e-mail like,"Like my dog?"

Hater gonna hate.
And sue like friends.

I thought he was eating a sandwich or something. :/

yo niga dont fuk with him he gona beat u up
if he jump  bad den we jump him homie

Sadly I've seen this kind of thing first hand, it's hilarious and also mind numbing. Allow me to explain...

Some goons and I were threatened legal action by a man pretending to be a police officer on a free internet game last November (Secondlife: don't play it). Someone put up a giant wreath up of his fat dead wife's picture we found in his internet police station  (he mentioned something about it being his wife) and goons started putting offerings of condolences underneath (ham).

Two weeks pass by and this guy comes to our land asking to speak to whoever's in charge because they're in a world of trouble! He then goes onto rant about how every single one of us would be under the gun for DCMA violations of using his fat mother's picture (he changed his story). So we all laughed at him about his fat mother-wife and how little he knew about fair and equal use. The best part was him typing "YOU KIDS BETTER SAVE YOUR PENNIES BECAUSE IM TAKIN EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU TO COURT", "MY BROTHER HAS 3000 DOLLARS AND WE BOTH AGREED TO GET EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU RESPONSIBLE".

"IT MAY TAKE A COUPLE YEARS BUT I'LL BE THE ONE WITH THE LAST LAUGH", and basically we tore his entire statements apart and told him how stupid he was. That didn't stop him from throwing a tantrum, and we finally just banned him from the land because he wouldn't go away.

tl;dr: Mr. Internet Cop learns about how the legal system works, by goons