Author Topic: AfterBlock - Blockland Desktop Program [UPDATE 1.2 RELEASED]  (Read 34057 times)

Update 1.2 is out, please read here.

Please note, AfterBlock version 2.0 is in development, a re-write of the main system. Feel free to ask questions here.

If you're STILL getting a startup error, the cause might be that the name you input is different than the one you wear on the BL ID. Change the BL ID nickname to the AB one, and you might get it to work. Otherwise, ask Sheath.

- Navarone

What Is AfterBlock
AfterBlock is a multipurpose program designed for fans of the game Blockland by Eric Hartman. It is the only 3rd party Blockland tool that includes both productive tools and games, themed entirely like Blockland to bring a piece of the building game we all love onto our desktops.

AfterBlock is composed of "apps" which all have a purpose, offering fun and productive features. Whenever there is an update, all you have to do is click the update option in AfterBlock and get the latest apps, fixes, and features.

AfterBlock is a wonderful, novelty, fun piece of free software that brings a bit of Blockland onto your desktop.

Join the Steam group :D

Download & Availability
AfterBlock will be available to both PC and Mac. It is free to download and use. Updates are also free, and can be obtained from the website or downloaded using the updater.

To comply with forum rules, we can not provide a direct download link here. Please do not post a link in this topic. This is for discussion only. If you wish to obtain AfterBlock, you must do so by your own means. A simple Google will help. c:

This Thread
This topic is for discussion, questions, help, and bitching about the AfterBlock application I have been designing.
It is now available for download.

Features & Eyegasms

A list of current apps. And more to come.

Block Factory
Visually prepare basic bricks from a top-down view. Enter size, set a category and name, add optional icon, and export! Able to make brick packs! Perfect for efficient development of bricks on demand.

3Step
In 3 simple steps, you can package add-ons into genuine zip archives with generated description. Repackage old add-ons, or package your own creations. Add information, select the files, and export! Includes optional install to Blockland folder. Great for packaging bricks made with Block Factory!

IRC
Popup window linking you to an online IRC chat room, with default options of the RTB or AfterBlock channel. Great for instant access to chat when you aren't in-game!

Name Generator
For users looking for a better name, this app can mix existing words or create new ones. Generate a fun new name when you are lost for ideas. Hundreds of variations!

Knaz Cookie
A game in which you collect cookies and avoid dangerous burnt cookies and spam! Includes 18 unique costumes to purchase for your character to wear at Badspots party (using fictional cookie currency).

Clan Plan
Manage your clan better with a roll system allowing you to track player attendance. Also features a visual clan creation guide for newbies to the clan scene.

EventCookbook
A navigator for the online database of eventing tutorials. Need an example on how to event a single button lamp? Want to learn how to build a generator? Wanting examples of the basics such as looping relays? This app is the start of a growing range of tutorials. The database is small, but its growing.

Rate Blocklanders
A direct feed to the Rate Blocklanders website, for instant rating when you are bored.

MDU Updater
Instant online updates to AfterBlock, providing you with new apps, new features, bug fixes, and more, without having to re-install AfterBlock.

Also includes minimizing to tray, a Blockland launcher, a clock, a "mascot" that sits on the home screen (ability for custom image too), a widget version that floats over other applications, and more. This is just version 1.0, there is a lot planned and a lot to come.

Update Log

Version 1.2
- Repaired startup error plaguing random users
- Repaired design flaw in core scripts resulting in file directory confusion (relevant to above)
- Update 'about' button
- Repaired a few syntax errors

Version 1.1
- Added "debugger"
- Added unpacking feature for first run and auto-repair
- Fixed illegitimate ID acceptance during introduction
- Fixed Clan Plan guide graphical error

FAQ

Q: I want more apps, will there be more?
A: New apps are a focus, there will be regular new goodies to download. Visit the AfterBlock site to keep up to date with whats going on, or use the MDU updater in AfterBlock.

Q: Can I use this on Mac?
A: There will be a Mac version in the not so distant future, in development as we speak.

Q: Where is the download?
A: I can not provide the link, it goes against forum rules as it is an EXE file.

Q: How do I install this?
A: Unzip it and keep it in its own folder somewhere (for example, Program Files). It is not an add-on.

Q: Can I make apps?
A: At this stage no.

Q: What is it coded in?
A: GML.

Q: I opened AfterBlock, how do I close it?
A: The close button is hidden in the top right of AB, it will light up when you hover over it.

Q: Why do I get an external define error on launch?
A: You need to extract all contents to the same folder, AfterBlock can not find a key component.

Videos And Visual Guides
View Howto guides and see updates at the new AfterBlock YouTube channel.

www.youtube.com/user/AfterBlockBL

I have been working on this officially since July 2010.
Questions, constructive criticism, and nondrama please. :3
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 06:02:09 AM by Sheath »

Q: When can I download it?
A: It is not released because of delays from Cyanian, Comatose, keonesan, Grumpy, and JAW959. Beta testing was suppose to take a day, SO HASSLE THEM LOL.

forgetIN HURRY UP!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 10:08:41 PM by Kilser »

Yup you told me about this.
I still think you should let me help you make the brick maker able to make print bricks.
Also, name generator means less original names. :c

Also, name generator means less original names. :c

It does the opposite.

It does the opposite.
Did you put "Kilser is wet" in it?

Seems pretty essential. I like how it's branched into many different sections, like gaming, clans, add-on packaging, etc.
And I thought you said you didn't script, or are you just being humble? :o

Seems pretty essential. I like how it's branched into many different sections, like gaming, clans, add-on packaging, etc.
And I thought you said you didn't script, or are you just being humble? :o

Not in Torque. It took me a month to make an emote keybind, and Slick had to help. :c
... I think I've told that story too much.

Looks cool overall but the block maker thing makes me think that a wave of terrible brick packs will happen.

Looks cool overall but the block maker thing makes me think that a wave of terrible brick packs will happen.

This is definitely a concern that has passed my mind, but I concluded that hopefully this and the other brick makers will stop people from uploading and downloading simple-assed bricks and just make their own. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

Ohwow. Very impressive. :o

Good luck with this. I can't wait to see the finished product. :D

Ohwow. Very impressive. :o

Good luck with this. I can't wait to see the finished product. :D
Mage stole the words right out of my mouth...again.

Oh hey, you got unbanned welcome back.

On-Topic: Cant wait for it to come out. What about some sort of Irc, or message system?Durp