Author Topic: Ace Of Spades: Minecraft with voxels and war.  (Read 27421 times)

MERCISLESSLY COPIED FROM FACEPUNCH:

What the forget is Ace of Spades and why should I care?
Ace of Spades is a Voxel powered Team-based CTF shooter with fully destructable/constructable procedurally generated terrain.That should sound loving awesome enough to get you to play already. However, the voxel-ness of it does make the graphics a bit trippy (especially when looking at anything up close) so you might wanna take that into account if you get motion sick easily.

Sounds cool, boss, where do I get it?
Well, the website was up yesterday when I found this gem but the servers seem to be overloaded right now.
The master server list (and the download for the game client) is currently on http://www.ace-spades.com. Again, there is supposed to be a real website there (and there was one yesterday) but I guess this game really exploded in popularity and brought the servers down)

Alright, I've downloaded all this stuff, what do I do?
The first thing you're going to want to do is open the config.ini file and change your name and your resolution. I don't think the game supports widescreen at this point so depending on your drivers your screen will either get streched out into a soupy looking thing or just have black bars on the sides.
*NOTE*
If you're operating on Windows Vista / 7 it won't let you save the config.ini file to the folder that it's in if you installed the game into program files. You're either going to have to save it to the desktop and paste it back to the Ace of Spades folder or open notepad as an administrator.

What next?
From the website posted above, join a server. You can't join a server by running client.exe, you have to join it from the website. After that, you're in the game!

How do I make my dude run around and stuff?
Movement: W,S,A,D | Jump: Space | Crouch: Ctrl | Fire: Left Mouse | Ironsights: Right Mouse
Allchat: T | Teamchat: Y | Send Message: Enter | Change Weapon: 1-5, Mouse Wheel
Change Block Color: Arrow Keys | Sample world Color (Changes your block's colour to the colour of the block you're looking at): Right Mouse | Map: M | Scores: Tab
Join Blue Team: B | Join Green Team: G | Volume: +/- Keypad | Quit: Esc
Note that the only difference between blocks is colour, the colour doesn't represent the durability of the block or anything.

What weapons do I get?

Shovel: It's a shovel. It breaks three blocks at once, but you don't get to keep any of them
Pickaxe: It's a pickaxe. It only breaks one block at once, but that gets added to your block count.
Blocks: They're blocks. You can place them to build bunkers, towers, bridges, anything you want, really. You won't have that much time to build as there'll probably be angry people shooting at you while you're doing it.
Rifle: It's a rifle. Speculated to be either an M1 Garand or a Gewehr, but who really gives a stuff. You shoot dudes with it.
Grenade: It's usefullness is pretty limited, but if you can get one into an enemy's bunker you'll get a stuffload of points. It sorta deforms the terrain too, but not really.

The Map

Pretty simple stuff.

Misc Notes:
-To get out of water, jump and crouch. You can also get over two block high walls this way.
-Going to your command point will refill your health, ammo, and give you fifty blocks.
-Shots do 25 damage and headshots are instant kills ( I THINK, NOT CONFIRMED)
-You can't move your own intel, nor does it ever return to your command point until the enemy captures it. Defend it well!
-The game is currently in Beta 0.21 ! Be merciful!
-There's a tumblr page with useful info, mods, funny stuff, etc over here : http://aceofspadesgeneral.tumblr.com/
- IF YOU MAKE A SERVER MAKE SURE TO FORWARD PORT 32887, OTHERWISE, NO ONE CAN JOIN YOUR GAME
-The Master Server list can be a bit iffy, if you're getting a cannot connect to server error, it's probably because a) The server owner didn't forward port 32887 or b) The server's actually full and the master server hasn't properly updated yet
Media:

Basically, it's minecraft except it's made of voxels and it's about war.

Someone start a Blockland server.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 12:42:38 PM by yuki »

looks like minecraft I want to play it

Also, from the Ace of Spades blog:

I'm trying to set a server up right now.

i couldnt join any of the servers, there is no way to test this out on singleplayer?

i couldnt join any of the servers, there is no way to test this out on singleplayer?
The hell would you do on singleplayer.

Anyway just keep trying servers. It's pretty overloaded right now but eventually you'll get in.

The hell would you do on singleplayer.

try the game out to see what's like first hand

try the game out to see what's like first hand
It's a multiplayer game.

Blockland server is working, I'm in it right now.

It's a multiplayer game.

I can't join my own server  :panda:

It's a multiplayer game.

i cant join it

Pretty fun little trinket :O

If this got more weps and maybe vehicles, i'd pay for it.

Blockland server went from 1/6 to 6/6 in the time it took me to install the game and refresh.

EDIT: Okay, starting it up and instantly goes 100% usage on one core, I get a screen that says the controls but none work except "quit"
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 02:39:35 PM by Space Guy »

Blockland server went from 1/6 to 6/6 in the time it took me to install the game and refresh.

EDIT: Okay, starting it up and instantly goes 100% usage on one core, I get a screen that says the controls but none work except "quit"

I got a few of these too. Fix?

Space guy is this happening to you?

That comes up then you can only press esc to quit, nothing else works.
Its happening to me too, I connected to the server and was running around but the
screen was dragging, its hard to explain.