Garry's Mod doesn't work?

Author Topic: Garry's Mod doesn't work?  (Read 1982 times)

Yesterday I had a great time playing trouble in terrorist town on Garry's Mod and when I went to play it today the game suddenly updated and would crash on loading. I looked it up and appearantly a bug was introduced to crash the game of people who pirated it? What the forget? I distinctly remember begging my dad for money to buy this a few years ago and now they are accusing me of piracy? This is bullstuff.
Anyone else have this happen to them?

From what I understand, pirated versions of steam games are not tied to steam, therefore do not update.

What are they trying to pull?
Why would they update.... this makes no sense, but I need sleep so that's probably it.

Same problem.
Garry broke it by trying to stop piracy, and ended up breaking it for everybody else too.

Had this problem too. A re-install fixed it for me.

Had this problem too. A re-install fixed it for me.

I don't want to have to reinstall GMod, that'll mean losing all my custom settings and obscure addons.

That makes sense.
Comparable to this would be the ... 'fight' against rooted Android cell phones.
The distributor is capable of launching an update that removes all root from all phones, but this includes developer phones.

Gmod appears to have been hit by the kill all on accident.
I don't want to have to reinstall GMod, that'll mean losing all my custom settings and obscure addons.
Is there an export settings option?
How does the add on system work?

Comparable to this would be the ... 'fight' against rooted Android cell phones.
The distributor is capable of launching an update that removes all root from all phones, but this includes developer phones.

Ugh, I hate going off-topic but:

Google basically doesn't care for rooting at all, however they might have to patch certain security holes which would stop rooting in the next version, causing you to have to do it in a different way.

The developer phones aren't stuck to any network with a version of Android that checks for updates for that certain phone (see the Nexus One and Nexus S), and they can easily be rooted and get the bootloader unlocked by running the command "fastboot oem unlock" in ADB.

Phones on carriers run versions of Android that are locked down (locked and signed bootloaders, hard-to-get root access [though it is entirely possible to get root no matter what]), and therefore can update by themselves without any user interaction, causing bootloader updates and security updates, making you lose root. Though, after you get the bootloader unlocked and root access, you can install any custom ROM you want, turning your standard phone into a developer phone, and with that custom version of Android, there are no more forced updates, due to not running the stock Android ROM that the carrier wants you to use.

Back on-topic:

No, GMod doesn't really have an "export" option, but I guess if I need to, I can just backup my entire GMod folder to somewhere else or something, and install whatever isn't in "addon" format manually.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 03:20:21 AM by Miga »

I didnt start this game for over a month.

So it is broken for EVERYONE?

It broke for me, and I swear I payed for it.
I even tried relogging in, reinstalling, and restarting my pc.

Edit:
Garry said this:
Quote from: garry newman
An Engine update has broken GMod – so if you try to play right now it will crash on startup.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 11:04:55 AM by DrenDran »

It broke for me, and I swear I payed for it.
I even tried relogging in, reinstalling, and restarting my pc.

Edit:
Garry said this:

1: Slowpoke, although direct quote might disqualify the statement.
2: paid. I corrected this on someone less than 24 hours ago... Don't be common, please. :panda:
3: My account was originally made with Pacsteam maybe 2003-2004 (I don't remember). Back then, I didn't even know what Steam was. I just knew I was getting tons of free games. When I first got real Steam, it automatically logged me into that old account without all those games. My question is: Since my account was originally made in such a way, would it always block my GMod10?

1: Slowpoke, although direct quote might disqualify the statement.I understood slowpoke, but not the rest of this sentance.
2: paid. I corrected this on someone less than 24 hours ago... Don't be common, please. :panda:k
3: My account was originally made with Pacsteam maybe 2003-2004 (I don't remember). Back then, I didn't even know what Steam was. I just knew I was getting tons of free games. When I first got real Steam, it automatically logged me into that old account without all those games. My question is: Since my account was originally made in such a way, would it always block my GMod10?It checks to see if the steam id you used paid for gmod, so if you legally bought at least that, you should be fine.

It was the source patch that broke it.  A patch with l4d and stuff support comes today.

1: Slowpoke, although direct quote might disqualify the statement.
2: paid. I corrected this on someone less than 24 hours ago... Don't be common, please. :panda:
3: My account was originally made with Pacsteam maybe 2003-2004 (I don't remember). Back then, I didn't even know what Steam was. I just knew I was getting tons of free games. When I first got real Steam, it automatically logged me into that old account without all those games. My question is: Since my account was originally made in such a way, would it always block my GMod10?
Yeah, I used Pacsteam, but I later just made a new account because I was worried something like this might happen.
Does Pacsteam still loving exist? o_o

Yeah, I used Pacsteam, but I later just made a new account because I was worried something like this might happen.
Does Pacsteam still loving exist? o_o

I think you can still run it, but it'll probably be full of errors and obviously not work for pirating use. None of those games are in my real steam.

We did buy GMod10 legitimately, but on that account I originally made using Pacsteam. That's what bothered me, but thanks for clarification.

bacon570