Author Topic: Air Demonstration Squadrons [MEGATHREAD]  (Read 1159 times)

Hey guys I haven't seen you in a while... HOLY FU-
AIR DEMONSTRATION TEAMS
THE MEGATHREAD

The what?

You may have been in the position I was in yesterday. I woke up yesterday morning the the sound of distant thunder. The first thing I thought was maybe a thunderstorm, but it was sunny and gorgeous out. The thunder was continuous. Then I thought, ehh, it's a passenger jet miles into the air.

Suddenly the thunder got louder. And louder, to the point where it sounded like there was a fighter jet flying near my house.

Amazingly enough, there was. In fact, there were 9 of them, in a diamond formation, sporting the beautiful red and while colours of my country (lolcanada). I jumped out of bed, sprinted to the window and looked up to see the main reason why I love summer so much: The Canadian Forces Snowbirds, my real heroes. All nine of them, proudly soaring into the abyss of blue above me.

Now before I get any deeper, you people may know what I'm talking about. It's exciting being able to see this kind of skill, bravery and courage high in the air, and when you do see it you definitely want to see more. So, I've made a thread discussing all of the different Air Demonstration teams. Let's throw a list together, shall we? :3

THE COUNTRIES AND TEAMS

United States

UNITED STATES NAVY FLIGHT DEMONSTRATION SQUADRON: BLUE ANGELS

Aircraft(s) used: F6F Hellcat (1946-1947), Grumman F9F-2 Panther, F-4J Phantom, A-4 Skyhawk, and (currently) F/A-18 Hornet
Amount of jets: 6 (4 lead, 2 solo)
Colours: Blue and Yellow
Popularity: Very, worldwide

Performing more than 70 shows in 34 locations each year, the Blue Angels have been proving their skills since 1946.

UNITED STATES AIR FORCE THUNDERBIRDS

Aircraft(s) used: F-84F Thunderstreak, and (currently) F-16 Fighting Falcon
Amount of jets: 6 (4 lead, 2 solo)
Colours: Red, white and blue
Popularity: Quite, worldwide

The USAF Thunderbirds have been around since 1974, and provide one of the most thrilling shows with their extremely powerful F-16 Fighting Falcons.

Canada

CANADIAN FORCES 431 AIR DEMONSTRATION SQUADRON: SNOWBIRDS

Aircraft(s) used: (Currently) CT-114 Tutor, (soon to be) C/F-18 Hornet (Maybe?)
Number of jets: 9 (7 Lead, 2 solo)
Colours: White and red, small blue stripe
Popularity: Very popular in Canada. Idunno about anywhere else

The Canadian Forces Snowbirds are my heroes, basically. I love watching them and hearing about them, just to see them fly overhead is INCREDIBLE, they're like my idols :3 They've been around since the 1970s, starting out as the "Golden Cennetaires", and eventually were repainted and renamed as the Snowbirds.\

United Kingdom

ROYAL AIR FORCE AEROBATIC TEAM: RED ARROWS

Aircraft(s) used: British Aerospace BAE Hawk T1A
Number of jets: 9 (7 lead, 2 solo)
Colours: Very red. Single white stripe, union jack on tail.
Popularity: Very popular :D

The Red Arrows badge shows the aircraft in their trademark diamond nine formation, with the motto Éclat, a French word meaning "brilliance" or "excellence". They are widely regarded as one of the best aerial acrobatics teams in the world.

SOON TO COME: Info on Frecce Tricolori - Paroule De France - And more

Discuss airshows and air demonstration squadrons. Durr.

Oooooh, that's neat.

I've only heard of Blue Angels and Red Arrows.

I didn't realize that Canadians could do more than eat ham, syrup, moose, and say Eh..
Impressive.

I know the Blue Angels and the Thunderbirds, but this thread is way too obscure imo.

Yay Mack and his handicapped obsessions. I, missed you baby.

I saw the Blue Angels and the Snowbirds in a show in Alaska this last summer. :D
I think I might have also seen the Red Arrows in that show. Still unclear about that.