Author Topic: 99 Players!  (Read 11268 times)

yay wasting money
If that is considered wasting money, buying any game could conceivably be considered wasting money.

yay wasting money
aaaa $6 a month

Wait... That's about as much as Xbox Live!

aaaa $6 a month

Wait... That's about as much as Xbox Live!
What.
Its Like 20-25 Canadian.

Badspot

• Administrator
As far as bandwidth goes, you need 32kbps of upload per player to make sure you don't bottom out.  So for a hundred players you need at least 3.2Mbps of upload.  Also this needs to be real, sustainable bandwidth.  I know that some cable providers give you a little boost for the first few minutes of heavy usage but will eventually throttle it back down.  Also [tinfoil hat] I suspect they may artificially prioritize popular speed test sites. 

For cpu usage, it's number of bricks * number of players.  100 players with ~5000 bricks is probably no problem, but 100 players with 100k bricks is basically impossible.

This seems better than I see it.

As far as bandwidth goes, you need 32kbps of upload per player to make sure you don't bottom out.  So for a hundred players you need at least 3.2Mbps of upload.  Also this needs to be real, sustainable bandwidth.   

Also, being on the same continent as the other players does help.. (looks at american players)

Also, being on the same continent as the other players does help.. (looks at american players)
Bandwidth is not to be confused with ping.

Bandwidth is not to be confused with ping.
Yeah. I think I meant general playability, which depends on ping as well.

Yeah. I think I meant general playability, which depends on ping as well.
The only way you can fix ping on a server side is if:

-Your processor actually sucks and cannot handle the amount of connection being used. Get a better one.
-You decided to host from the loving moon and you should come back to Earth.

The only way you can fix ping on a server side is if:

-Your processor actually sucks and cannot handle the amount of connection being used. Get a better one.
-You decided to host from the loving moon and you should come back to Earth.
Does Europe count as a moon?
But it might actually be my processor (Intel Core 2 Duo T5500 @ 1.66GHz). I'm pretty sure it's outdated...

Does Europe count as a moon?
No, because people live in Europe.

Also [tinfoil hat] I suspect they may artificially prioritize popular speed test sites.
This.

It makes speed testing bullstuff

For cpu usage, it's number of bricks * number of players.  100 players with ~5000 bricks is probably no problem, but 100 players with 100k bricks is basically impossible.
In what? KHz?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 03:34:02 PM by Kalphiter »

As far as bandwidth goes, you need 32kbps of upload per player to make sure you don't bottom out.
So with ~0.49 mbps of upload, I can host about 16 players?