Will you come to my birthday party?

nope
79 (83.2%)
maybe
16 (16.8%)
sure
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 95

Author Topic: Escape Overlay Released [NARG]  (Read 466691 times)

Alright, I updated the file manager to version 1.3 Beta.
It turns out that there is some super jenky stuff that goes on in order to save events from a dedicated server.  I had to use this awful workaround where I open the default gui for saving bricks and just put the information into that and press the save button via script.  However, since that gui can't save anywhere except the saves/ folder, I need to generate a unique random name for the temporary save and then move the file to where the user actually saved originally.  There seems to be no easier way without completely rewriting the default save system, since it appears everything is hard coded into the default gui.  If you don't leave the gui open throughout the event downloading process, it will fail.

If anyone has suggestions on how this can be improved I would be grateful for the feedback.

I saved something pretty important on my dedicated server and lost all events and brick names :(

I saved something pretty important on my dedicated server and lost all events and brick names :(

Sucks dude, I wish someone had mentioned the issue to me during the 4 weeks while it was in alpha.  Frankly the whole way events are saved needs a rework.

When I saved a back up of a my friends server right before it crashed, it didnt save the events. It saves on your own server but it seems not to on other peoples server. Name bricks sometimes save... I wish I could of reported this earlier but I just found out also.

When I saved a back up of a my friends server right before it crashed, it didnt save the events. It saves on your own server but it seems not to on other peoples server. Name bricks sometimes save... I wish I could of reported this earlier but I just found out also.

Update to version 1.3, the issue is fixed.  However, note that saving events in a server that is crashing doesn't work because the server cannot send event information anyway.

Update to version 1.3, the issue is fixed.  However, note that saving events in a server that is crashing doesn't work because the server cannot send event information anyway.

So the version in the OP should save everything properly?

So the version in the OP should save everything properly?

Right.  I still don't really like the current implementation since in theory I shouldn't need to piggy back off the default gui, but it seems the save system is hard coded into that interface and cannot be easily separated.

Here is a quick preview of an upcoming project for those of you who are interested in that sort of thing.

This is basically just a mockup at this point, any feedback is greatly appreciated.
I've noticed that every client mod ever needs its own gui and/or keybind, and this mod aims to make a sort of dashboard where users can create buttons that do all sorts of stuff (open a gui, press a keybind, run a snippet of code, etc) without needing to set up a large amount of keybinds.
Also yes these icons are hand drawn by yours truly, if anyone want to use them feel free to ask.

Here is a quick preview of an upcoming project for those of you who are interested in that sort of thing.

[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20459676/NARG%20Thread/neo%20mockup.PNG[/img]

This is basically just a mockup at this point, any feedback is greatly appreciated.
I've noticed that every client mod ever needs its own gui and/or keybind, and this mod aims to make a sort of dashboard where users can create buttons that do all sorts of stuff (open a gui, press a keybind, run a snippet of code, etc) without needing to set up a large amount of keybinds.
Also yes these icons are hand drawn by yours truly, if anyone want to use them feel free to ask.
Cool! It's like the client command GUI but it's a menu instead of key binds.

We really need options for loading/saving as Public, Yours, or Saved Owner right on the save/load dialog.

We really need options for loading/saving as Public, Yours, or Saved Owner right on the save/load dialog.

So I've been going back and forth about this and my final reasoning was:
1. The main interface needs to be "generic" in the sense it isn't limited to .bls files
2. Having a separate options menu is already a must, it makes sense to put the ownership options there too, only one click further than they are by default.
3. Frankly I think the only reason the default options are on the default loading screen is because there are only two options in total (events, ownership), so they might as well get tagged on there.

I guess the main counterpoints to that are
1. People have existing expectations about where to find the ownership options
2. It takes an extra click to get to

Is there some other factor I'm forgetting that makes you believe that we really need them right on the dialog?

No you covered it pretty well. I do seem to have a problem though where it forgets my setting when I restart Blockland.