Author Topic: Discontinuing Games? (featuring the original Dark Orbit from 2001)  (Read 14610 times)

For whatever reason this evening, as I have done maybe 2 or 3 other times, I wanted to play a game I haven't played in a long time, the "original" Dark Orbit, also know as "Dark Orbit 1.0" or "the good Dark Orbit".

It's not the modern game that you can find by straight-up Googling "Dark Orbit", this was the old game where you were a ship attacking aliens and getting upgrades that was pre-installed on some computers many years ago, included with WildTangent's "GameChannel". My desktop had Dark Orbit on it, but it was only the trial, and yet as a kid I played that trial over and over again because it was so fun (buying games online was unheard of, to me games existed only as disks), though I only managed to reach the end a few times because I was so young.

I set out this evening to find that game, even planning to purchase it if it was still available. If not, I was perfectly content to play the trial version, as that was all I had ever really known anyway. I was just in the mood for a little nostalgia buzz. It was one of my favorite games from my childhood, even though it only lasted a good half hour at best. The only things I found were threads on the WildTangent (abbreviated as WT from here on) forums, filled with people claiming that A. WT had discontinued Dark Orbit, and B. they wanted it back. Upon inspecting the threads, I found posts by WT staff saying that they did, in fact, not support the game anymore and that it had been completely disabled.

Some people had actually bought the game and still wanted to play it;

I had purchased Dark Orbit years ago and Ran it on Windows ME. I have since upgraded to a newer machine with windows XP (sp2). Yesterday I found the backup disk (with key) and attempted to reinstall it. I get the initial screen but when I click on my screen size and click on "Play" it gives me a blank screen and says "loading" but then does nothing. Any one have a clue?
I still have the game, and (yes, don't tackle me for it) still have the registration key. Despite popular belief, that doesn't solve everything /: I tried typing it in to unlock the full version, but it needs to access the online database to validate the key.

A WT staff member responded:

I'm sorry, but Dark Orbit has been discontinued and will no longer work for you. Please click the Support button at the top of the page, and send an email to Customer Support. We'll be able to help you with an exchange.

I'd never heard of such a thing happening before. Sure there are games that companies don't sell anymore, but making it unplayable? That seems completely unfair to me. How could a company do that to their customers? I could see not allowing people to buy the game anymore, but actually disabling the game altogether? It's absurd! They may be offering a trade-in, but that doesn't make up for essentially destroying a game that people clearly still want to play.

I managed to dig up a download for the free demo, but just like the person above who wanted to play, I got stuck at the loading screen.

My attitude, as written by someone in one of these threads:

There are a lot of early Wild Tangent games that were decommissioned that no one will ever know about. What I couldn't understand is why the company cut it's self from it's early past. There are some other games that haven't been done away with like blackhawk striker2.

Back when these games were still available I couldn't justify the cost. And what a tease it was to have wildtangent software with demos from recent games come extra on my newly bought computer (not my dollar). And wile the games were all action they were all diverse - the a railshooter that seemed totally unique even now, SabreWing a space fighter, a modern combat rts and the rpg Dark Orbit. Unfortunately the computer was formatted and hard drive was put to factory settings and those demos were lost. I was able to find a copy of Dark Orbit from a download here on the site wile it was still available yet was still unable to purchase it.

It's been some time now since purchase page was taken down and I've long been able to afford the game. But it's gone for some obscure reason.

If I can obtain Dark Orbit here I will pay the full purchase price it was sold under wile still available. I'm tired of finding that the things I want have been discontinued. This is net based software and therefore I can't see why these programs can't be sold indefinitely.

Just needed to get all that out because I'm thoroughly pissed that it's impossible to play this game now. I may not know stuff about how game companies work, but I can't see how removing a game from existence is a logical thing to do.

So, in closing: What the forget?

tl;dr - A game from my childhood is literally gone and I'm not happy about it

i looked up dark orbit and the only thing that showed up was this http://us.darkorbit.com/index.es?action=externalHomeUSTest
how sad, i can't even see the same one in the picture

apparently game companies are trying to shun the nostalgia now

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shenmue_II#Sequel

Another game cut before it's time, although not in the same fashion. Shenmue was an amazing series, providing a feel I have not seen another game replicate. You play as Ryo Hazuki, a young man who one day comes home to a man who injuries his friend and kills his father, holding him in the last moments before death. As the story progresses, you discover that the man was looking for these objects they call mirrors. It turns out he was only able to get one of them, the other one being found by you later on. You play through the game, finding out different martial art styles, learning moves, fighting thugs, and such. There's more side missions, minigame, and other ways to entertain yourself than you'd ever need. The game actually has options to similar real weather as recorded during the time you play, which is out of the blew awesome feature. Eventually, you find you must leave to China in order to track down the man who killed your father. That's where the first game ends, with the second game picking up after you arrive. The second game is even deeper, taking you through cities and underground fighting rings, to rooftop battles which lead you to the wilderness of well... I don't remember, but forest mountains unfathomable. You save this girl from a river and follow her for a long ass time up the mountain, periodically engaging in conversation until you read the top and their place. you find he isn't there, and venture into the caves, past where he said to never go. You activate some Ruth Goldberg type lighting that reveals giant versions of both mirrors on the wall, a cliffhanger ending.

Then the game simply stopped. They couldn't develop it anymore. You're stuck thinking "Wait, so the father made that? He knew of the mirrors? What significance was it?" It's just terrible. Also, the game itself is almost entirely set in reality, but within the story you find that the man wanted the mirrors because, together, they can be used to summon evil powers and stuff. Whether that might actually work is not known.

I know how you guys feel.

I've been a fan of the Megaman games for about 10 years now, playing different games from the different spin-offs, all somehow managing to capture the feel of the original games for me.

My favourite series probably had to be either the Zero series or ZX, simply because I loved the upgrade system of Zero and the Biometal system of the ZX series. The Zero series' cancelation I can understand, but ZX finished on a cliffhanger after the second game, with no hints to a new game in the series. Stupid Capcom.
And don't get me started on Megaman Universe.

Or, how about this? Metal Arms: Glitch in the System? Heard of it? Had the potential to be a great series and they left it with just one game! ONE! Yet another annoying cliffhanger that will probably NEVER be resolved.

Anybody else expected a sequel to these games but never got one?

LEGO Rock Raiders, for me I want the PC version back

A game where you command a team of miners around the caverns of a mysterious planet searching for energy crystals. It was a real doozer while it lasted (and when I was 10 years old) and it had all the suspense you could ever want at that time (the same "don't know what's in front of you" feeling like in MC"). Sadly the series only lasted for a year :c

whatever happened to pikmin 3
forget you nintendo that would save your ass

A game where you command a team of miners around the caverns of a mysterious planet searching for energy crystals. It was a real doozer while it lasted (and when I was 10 years old) and it had all the suspense you could ever want at that time (the same "don't know what's in front of you" feeling like in MC"). Sadly the series only lasted for a year :c

I installed it on my harddrive like two weeks ago. I can get it working, but the only way to play windowed mode is to reduce my colors, which forgets up all the windows. Also, how the hell do you save? I back out of a menu, have to replay the entire thing.

Dark Orbit: oh gooooddd yesssssss I played this game so much

!
I still have my disk for that game c: