What happened to the man that split his face in half?

Author Topic: What happened to the man that split his face in half?  (Read 453449 times)

For those who haven't seen the video you're just going to have to be left in the cold because I am not going to explain what happened or where to find it.

Anyone who has seen the video will know what I am talking about. This guy is diving and out of some freak accident he splits his head in half and still lives. I haven't seen any news article or anything that mentions about what happened next. Does anyone know what happened to this guy after?

He died 2 days after the accident.

Here's some text I found concerning the video.

"Here is the accompanying text:
Bad reactions, including nausea, have been reported by those viewing the video, and a lot of people who watched this video are saying that they are sorry that they watched it, so please take appropriate precautions if you are sensitive or get traumatized easily.
This is one of the latest viral videos going around. It actually appeared on the Net around the third week of July, but it's only started going viral in a huge way since the second week of September. In general, the video never has a name.
It's just referred to by some description of the event like Horrible Diving Accident, Bridge Fail, Worst Diving Accident, Horrific Diving Accident, Awesome Diving Accident, Disgusting Diving Accident , Jump Accident, Cellphone Horrific Diving Accident and Diving Accident. I named it Dive Fail since I could not think of anything better.
There really isn't any "violence" in this video. It's just a video of a horrible accident.
A teenager, a 16 year old boy, dives off the seaside promenade in Beirut and slips before the dive. The slip causes him to miss the ocean and instead hit the concrete slab below where fishermen fish. He hits the concrete face first, then goes into the ocean. In a short while, the ocean for yards around has turned red with blood. There are people and boats in the water trying to help the guy and girls are screaming all over the place.
The scene then shifts to a hospital where the poor guy is being overseen by a team of doctors and nurses. His face has been split clear in two down the middle vertically!
He is still alive and conscious, he's still breathing, and his eyes are still moving around. He looks terrified. A couple of times, the doctor takes the sides of his face and pushes them together to make a whole face again. The doctor supposedly says, "Where do I begin?" a few times in Arabic.
There are a lot of rumors saying that this video is fake, but apparently it is a real video. This event occurred in Beirut in the second week of June 2009. The teenager and his brother were showing off their diving skills by diving off the Manara Promenade, which is right across from the American University on the shore of Beirut's harbor. This part of the Promenade is called Al-Rawsha, and it's long been popular with divers, although officials have always frowned on it. In fact, like the Golden Gate Bridge, it's also long been popular with Self Deletes and attempted Self Deletes.
It's a long way off the Manara Promenade to the sea, over 40 feet. The first part of the video shows his brother making a successful dive. He and his brother had made several jumps before and everything had gone fine, but this time he slips and disaster unfolds. This part was shot with a Nokia cellphone which shoots dark in the afternoon. This segment was shot by a girl at the scene who can be heard screaming, "Oh my God! Oh my God! Someone call the Civil Defense!" in Arabic.
The second part of the clip is the same kid in the hospital, but was shot with a different cellphone so it's looks different. The hospital staff is definitely speaking Lebanese Arabic. This part of the clip was shot in the brightly lit ER of the American University Hospital, which is only ¼ mile away from where the accident took place. That's why things are so much brighter in this part of the clip.
People are saying that there is no way that such a clip could have been shot in an ER, however, in the Developing World, it is quite common for family, friends, etc. to be present in the ER right next to the patient's bed as the staff hovers around them. It's also not uncommon that they have a cellphone on them and record the goings-on. That would probably be pretty weird in the US, but in the Arab World, no one thinks anything of it.
As you can see, they have him intubated, which is an excellent idea. However, he is not on a ventilator, nor are there any signs of monitoring equipment such a pulse oximeter. The physician is focusing on holding his face together in order to protect the airway.
All the surgeons could do was to stitch up his very deep and severe wounds in his face. Although some clinicians on the Net have said that a good ENT could patch this kid up good, this poor guy could not be saved. All they were able to do was to keep him alive in the ICU for two days before he died.
The city of Beirut has tried to stop such nonsense by putting up railings and barbed wire where people like to dive, but teenage boys and even young men in their 20's keep on diving off the Promenade in very risky circumstances. Before this accident, there were a number of other horrible diving accidents in this area, all involving teenage boys and young men.
There is a post on the Net describing a different video supposedly proving that this video is fake. In this one, the hospital footage is said to be of a failed 9mm Self Delete. However, no way can a 9mm do that kind of damage to your face. Also, in that video, once again, the hospital staff are speaking Lebanese Arabic. Furthermore, in a longer video version of the ER scene, the two doctors are said to be discussing in Lebanese Arabic how the kid "landed on a rock when he jumped into the water." This dialogue would not exist in a gun Self Delete video.
This is all very confusing, and there is no proof one way or the other at the moment. If it's really a failed gun Self Delete, why are they speaking Lebanese Arabic just like they are speaking during the dive accident? If the second part is fake, why are they speaking Lebanese Arabic in both sections? What's more likely is that someone took the second half of this video - in the operating room, and uploaded it as a failed gun Self Delete.
But until we can sort all of this out, this video will remain somewhat mysterious.
Sources in Lebanon who were there at the promenade and witnessed the dive accident claim that the word on the street in Lebanon say is that the second half was shot in the hospital and is footage of aftermath of the diving accident. The fact that they are speaking Lebanese Arabic in the hospital makes the failed gun Self Delete theory dubious.
At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter if the video is "fake" or not, because it isn't. The dive footage is real, and the kid died from the dive two days later. The hospital footage is of a real person, apparently one who died soon afterward. Does it matter if it's of the diving kid or of some kid who tried to blow his brains out?
No, it doesn't matter. When we watch a scary Hollywood movie, do we all scream, "Fake!"? Of course not. What matters is if a movie is scary. And this video is downright terrifying, whether the two vignettes, one on the promenade and one in the operating room, are connected or not. They are both real footage, and it doesn't matter if it's the same person or not. It's scary like Saw or Hostel is scary. At the end of the day, that's all that matters.
There is something really creepy about this video that I can't quite put a finger on.
From the very amateurish trilingual warning at the beginning (Arabic, French and English, suggesting once again it was made in Lebanon) to the horrible screams after he hits, to the blood-red ocean spreading in a large area around the 20-30 people gathered in the water to help him, to the absolutely terrifying scene in the hospital where the poor kid, incredibly, has a face split clear in two, this video hits you hard. The labored, terrified breathing of the victim combined with the look of horror in his eyes is something that really stays with you.
Throughout the video, there is some weird, cheesy, hard to describe instrumental music going in the background for some strange reason really adds to the terror. The amateurish cellphone footage that jumps around jerkily also in some way adds to the terror.
I was traumatized for several days after watching this thing, and I've watched a lot of nasty stuff."

Jesus loving christ, what a way to go.
After seeing real people ripped to pieces by  piranhas i don't think I'll be watching this.

I feel... no compulsion to watch that...

I feel... no compulsion to watch that...

I agree, the description alone is making me feel nauseous. Just hearing about something like that happening to someone scares the forget out of me.

*runs out of topic

I don't plan on watching this.

So the split in half part is probably fake?

I remember seeing a gun Self Delete failed picture and it looked similar to the second part of the video.

Watched the video, I lol'd but it was meh. I've seen worse.

So the split in half part is probably fake?

I'm no expert but it sounds to me like this disturbed you and you want a nicer alternative than believing its real. Not only because you are clearly looking to theorize why its fake but, you refused to post it. If so, I'm sorry this happened. :c

People don't realize how content online can actually be very disturbing.

Watched the video, I lol'd but it was meh. I've seen worse.

And finally the mandatory guy who isn't afraid to pick the spider up.

Actually I've done some research (google research) and the second part looks more like an attempted shotgun Self Delete with a deer slug or something.

People have been known to live through an attempted shotgun Self Delete with half their face missing.

Actually I've done some research (google research) and the second part looks more like an attempted shotgun Self Delete with a deer slug or something.

People have been known to live through an attempted shotgun Self Delete with half their face missing.

Quote from: The post that you probably didn't read.
"If it's really a failed gun Self Delete, why are they speaking Lebanese Arabic just like they are speaking during the dive accident? If the second part is fake, why are they speaking Lebanese Arabic in both sections? What's more likely is that someone took the second half of this video - in the operating room, and uploaded it as a failed gun Self Delete."

I'm no expert but it sounds to me like this disturbed you and you want a nicer alternative than believing its real. Not only because you are clearly looking to theorize why its fake but, you refused to post it. If so, I'm sorry this happened. :c

People don't realize how content online can actually be very disturbing.

Ha, no. This video wouldn't disturb me the slightest. I know that both parts are real but I don't believe the second part of the hospital is linked with the diver.

The second part seriously looks like a failed shotgun Self Delete attempt.

I've still seen more disturbing things than this video and the things I've seen are things you possibly couldn't imagine seeing.

I've read it, that person's only argument is that both videos have people speaking Lebanese Arabic. It's quite possible that two different incidents happened around in the same region.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 04:22:04 AM by Lørd Tøny »

That could be coincidental, although
Quote from: that same post
[...] this video is downright terrifying, whether the two vignettes, one on the promenade and one in the operating room, are connected or not. They are both real footage, and it doesn't matter if it's the same person or not.