Author Topic: Downloading music  (Read 1926 times)

I'm noticing something different about Downloading music than downloading any other kind of file when joining a server. When you download music from a server, the music is actually added to your add-ons folder- unlike prints, mods, or anything else. This seems kind of annoying, because I just checked on my music folder, just to clear it out some, and there was at least 50 songs that I never even heard of. Is there a way around this? Because I know that in order to go on a lot of servers without crashing, you have to download music. I don't want to crash, and I like listening to custom music, but it's very annoying. :/

from the little knowledge I have of networking, nope.
Unless BL deleted the music as soon as you connected.

Not that I know of. But I don't think you should be too concerned about having loops added to your computer. Sorry :(

eh, that's alright. I just don't like so much clutter in my music folder

I wish this was like GUI's :(

Blockland did this before and I was kind of sad when it stopped because I don't like getting music, but if I go to a server with a song I like, I also get that song.

Badspot

• Administrator
When you download music from a server, the music is actually added to your add-ons folder- unlike prints, mods, or anything else.

No.  No it isn't.  It is not possible to download a file to anywhere except the cache.db file by connecting to a server.  Either you installed a bunch of music and forgot, or it's left over from the pre cache.db days, or you have some music downloading add-on installed.  

Because I know that in order to go on a lot of servers without crashing, you have to download music.

What server crashes if you don't download music?  This should not happen. 
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 07:46:47 PM by Badspot »

I'm surprised you haven't heard of this, if someone plays music you don't have, you crash.

I'm surprised you haven't heard of this, if someone plays music you don't have, you crash.
noedit:

Sorry, I meant music you don't have or haven't downloaded from the server.

This happens to me and plenty of other people all the time. Servers even say in the welcome message to DL music or you'll crash, so I'm surprised you didn't know about this. When the music tries to play (and you haven't DLed it) Blockland crashes and loops the first second of the sound. You can't close the crashed window without restarting your computer. There's never anything unusual in the console log.

Warning - while you were typing 2 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Badspot

• Administrator
This happens to me and plenty of other people all the time. Servers even say in the welcome message to DL music or you'll crash, so I'm surprised you didn't know about this. When the music tries to play (and you haven't DLed it) Blockland crashes and loops the first second of the sound. You can't close the crashed window without restarting your computer. There's never anything unusual in the console log.

Warning - while you were typing 2 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

I cannot duplicate this problem.

Badspot

• Administrator
Well I have added some extra checks when playing sounds so let me know if it still happens.

Ok, thanks! Although I do find it very odd that I'm not supposed to be downloading music. Because
there was at least 50 songs that I never even heard of
-in my add-ons folder. maybe there's an add-on somewhere that added that option (to download music) without my knowing of it? I don't know. Oh well, now that I deleted most of them, maybe it stopped? I'll guess I'll check and find out.

-almost forgot, I remember seeing quite a few server with the welcome message- "remember to dl music, or you'll crash!"
And I just recently had a friend who kept crashing until I removed a music brick. So it has been happening, hopefully not anymore though.
and I'm trying to find a server with custom music to test/duplicate the problem, but it's a little difficult, every time I ask about it as I load, nobody wants to tell me because they think I'm coming just to listen to music and then leave. (even though I kind of am XD)

before cache.db came into existence, you'd download all the music to your Add-Ons/Music folder.

that explains the "at least fifty songs you've never even heard of".