Gothic cathedral

Author Topic: Gothic cathedral  (Read 24246 times)

I present to you my most recent solo-project: my gothic cathedral!

I wanted to do something like this for a long time, cause I really like the architecture. I started this a little more than a month ago. I've probably spent some ~15-20 hours on it.

Note that this is still a WIP. The exterior is about 90% done. The interior is about 60% done.

EDIT: Here is a video of the cathedral's organ playing Adeste Fideles.

So without further ado, here are some pictures:
(I know the pic's aren't great, but I'm a bad photographer with a crappy PC :P It looks better in-game.)

Exterior

The cathedral from above. Notice the typical cross-shape. Also pay attention to the double row of buttresses. Barnabas wouldn't allow me to put buttresses on his cathedral, so I put a double row on mine instead :P

A fancy-pants picture of the south facade by night.

Interior shots: (Note: very WIP)

Viewing down the transept.

The labyrinth. It is said that if you walk the entire labyrinth while praying, you will find inner peace. Also notice the chapel in the background. It is going to be dedicated to the Virgin Mary when done.

Me standing next to St. Pauls bell, the biggest bell of the cathedral.

About the build:
I tried to build the cathedral as gothic as possible. My main influence was german gothic architecture. Typical for this style are massive, heavy structures. The vertical lines are emphasized, and the towers are often very tall (unlike for French cathedrals). I might have overdone it a little at this point, cause the height/width ratio (1,56, see dimensions below) of this cathedral is way larger than that of the cathedral in Cologne (the current world champion with 0,95) :P

Dimensions:
I crunched some numbers for my cathedral. It turned out that it is a little smaller than the Notre Dame in Paris.  

Length (outside): 402 studs = 107,6 m (354,4 ft)
Width transept (outside): 216 studs = 59,2 m (195,4 ft)
Width nave (inside): 96 studs = 25,6 m (107,3 ft)
Height west towers:341 bricks = 136,4 m (450,1 ft)
Height under the vault:100 bricks = 40 m (132 ft)
Height under the roof:125 bricks = 50 m (165 ft)
Surface area:~40.000 studs2 = 2850 m2 (31.037 ft2)
Largest bell: Ø 12 studs = 3,2 m (10,6 ft)
Diameter of rose windows:Ø 32 studs = 8,5 m (28 ft)

Size comparison: My cathedral vs. the church from ACM's city.

If you like this build, please vote for it here. Make sure to check out the other contestants too! There's some pretty cool stuff over there.

Feel free to leave constructive criticism! I you have some ideas of what I should add/remove, please tell me!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 01:43:13 PM by King Leo »

I was listening to Mind Heist by Zack Hemsey, and the beginning went on and I was like... holy stuff.

Holy stuff you're a good builder.

Edit:

Nope its not.  Amazing ass job mang.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 05:56:41 PM by suburb »

MY! i died of epicness.

Early christians are now disappointed that their magnanimous churches can be made on electrical devices of today.

Could you provide interior pictures?

Early christians are now disappointed that their magnanimous churches can be made on electrical devices of today.

Could you provide interior pictures?
They weren't early Christians.

Early Christians. Unless they would be described as Jewish... even then. These cathedrals are 1000 years since the dawn of Christianity.

Oh my go- *AHEM* gosh...

Thats epic

Interior please!!!

Nice job!
Edit: oh stuff, it's 60% done, but still, show the interior just to get an idea

I would love to see this in person.
May you PM me the save?