Author Topic: Dolphins talk in pictures  (Read 1126 times)

Well it's a bit of an oversimplification but it's mostly right. This came up in my rss feeds and I had to share it, I'm sure some of you guys will find it interesting.

You may or may not have been aware that dolphins are an animal that uses echolocation to identify objects in their environment. Basically they emit a clicking sound. Based on the pitch of the sounds that bounce back off an object, they are able to "hear" pictures.

What you probably didn't know is that once they hear the response, they're able to replicate the pattern and send images to each other. There's also research being done into viewing these images the dolphins make, as well as actually communicating images with them.

Here is a link to the article.

If you look you can see that the image the dolphin generated of the flower pot contains remarkable detail - even the textured bands in the bottom of the pot are visible. Whether they can see the pot in that much detail, I'm not entirely sure, but it's still really cool. They're able to communicate all kinds of information about shape, size, and texture in a couple of clicks. See this post by Colten for the outline of the flower pot.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 02:51:32 PM by Wedge »

Soon we'll be invading them for their oil. forget dolphins get money.

For those of you who cant see it I outlined the flower pot in the image, I did however forget to outline the hand, but its in the top right corner of the flower pot:

And heres the original:

..sorry, how does that even remotely resemble a flower pot?

Look at the smaller image and its much clearer

If you look you can see that the image the dolphin generated of the flower pot contains remarkable detail - even the textured bands in the bottom of the pot are visible. Whether they can see the pot in that much detail, I'm not entirely sure, but it's still really cool. They're able to communicate all kinds of information about shape, size, and texture in a couple of clicks.

Can someone point these out to me please? I see a big purple swirly thing.

For those of you who cant see it I outlined the flower pot in the image, I did however forget to outline the hand, but its in the top right corner of the flower pot:

sorry to burst your BUBBLES but actually it resembles an ice cream cup made by DQ?

Can someone point these out to me please? I see a big purple swirly thing.
I think he thought it was a topdown view into a flower pot.

They all look like that though

Heres one of a dolphin calling to its mother:

Soon scientists will be able to use this and help blind people.

sorry to burst your BUBBLES but actually it resembles an ice cream cup made by DQ?

"DQ"
"Chick-Fil-A"
???
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 02:13:54 PM by Jairo »

They talk in pictures?
Wow the more you know.

They talk in pictures?
Wow the more you know.
a picture's worth a thousand words

>be dolphin
>send gay dolphin research to friendsenemies
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 02:32:43 PM by -Pablo- »