Modern Progressive Metal discussion (WARNING: Djent tone heavy)

Author Topic: Modern Progressive Metal discussion (WARNING: Djent tone heavy)  (Read 2412 times)

So basically I've been getting into quite a bit of progressive metal and was inspired by The Corporation's topic a little while back to make another one right now

Animals as Leaders

These guys are amazing, they have a very nice blend of progressive jazz metal along with some Djent elements. The use of complicated and very dynamic time scales along with all the 8 string guitars you could want makes for great instrumental songs, both heavy and calm. I haven't even listened to all of their songs yet I would say they are currently one of my favorite bands as of now.

Periphery isn't quite as innovative as AAL, but they are still quite good to listen to, especially if you want more heavier stuff. They have a vocalist who screams every so often, but they also have released the instrumental parts of pretty much of all of their songs too. I haven't listened to them as much as AAL, but I recommend them to.

Some good songs by them (instrumental)
Insomnia
All New Materials

There's also a few others that are good such as TessarcT, and a few others I can't name right now cause I'm tired. Also, if you want to try a band with a Djent tone and rapping, try Hactivist.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 09:40:32 PM by Dodger »

This topic is going to fail.

But.

Trans-Siberian Orchestra ftw. Great progressive metal band.

DJENTDJENTDJENTDJENT

My djent/prog metal list is:
Vildhjarta
Animals as Leaders
Periphery
TesseracT
Reflections
Synthetic Breed
After the Burial
Drewsif Stalin's Musical Endeavors
Veil of Maya
Vortice
Means End
Idoler
Nerve End
Uneven Structure
Fellsilent (broken up)
SikTh (broken up :(!)
Monuments
Structures
Volumes
Textures
Cruentus
Beyond Our Eyes
Fractals.

black hole sun...

won't you come...

and wash away the rain...

Lol Synthetic Breed. You mean Sybreed?

Anyway. It's a lot harder to play djent than to listen to it. :cookieMonster:

I don't like Sybreed. Their vocalist ruins everything.

I think his clean vocals are pretty good. I'm not the kind of person to judge screaming vocals very well, though. So I don't give a stuff whether it's "good" or not.

Unless the person sounds like a queer when they try.

Moar:

The Contortionist - Primal Directive
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 01:00:41 AM by ShadowsfeaR »

Hacktivist - Cold Shoulders

First minute is kinda messy in my opinion but it's definitely an interesting listen in my opinion.