Poll

Petition

I am against this update!
I am excited for this update!

Author Topic: v21 Update Petition  (Read 16493 times)

I do not like this update and here are my reasons.

For one I am not for change, however, if it is beneficial then I am always up for it.
The only times I doubt change is when you have to sacrifice things for it, which in this case, that's one of those times.

I do not like the fact, and obviously nobody else does, that the update deletes maps.
Terrain and Interiors are what has made Blockland fun and creative (talking about maps here) for years.
You can't just expect to get rid of maps because of some shadows. To me it seems like risking too much.

Another thing is that it would ruin vehicles and skis.
Vehicle physics have always messed up in Blockland.
If you drive fast into a brick, your vehicle will go into it and its just a huge mess.
And skis, you can't ski over bricks because its not smooth and wont feel the same as it was in slopes.

If your telling me that all of these things are worth getting rid of for some sort of "new year 2012 change" bullstuff, then I don't understand Blockland anymore.

I fully agree with this. Blockland is fine the way it is. It doesn't need shadows to make the game look better. It's a game that consists of blocks. I've been playing Blockland for a while now and I've been fine without shadows, come to think of it, I never even thought of the idea of shadows coming into the game. I believe that people might not see it now, but in the future they'll soon regret wanting this update. I play Blockland a lot and this update will definitively reduce my playing time. I realize that I'm saying this just for myself, but I just don't like the idea of destroying one of Blockland's main strong points. If you kept the terrains and interiors with the shadow update that would be fine. But I don't think it's worth taking away this kind of content that the game holds in order to make it better.

Nobot I get what you're saying, but this isn't only for the shadows. The shadows are just what pushed this over the edge. Badspot and Kompressor want this game to succeed, if it's apparent that things are going bad after the update, then I'm sure they will work on getting new features out asap to justify the lack of terrain and interiors.

Theres still a lot of potential in what can be done with Blockland. Kompressor has already alluded to possibly raising the brick limit if it needs to be done. Well if you think about it, if we have to build interiors and terrain with bricks now, we're probably going to be hitting that limit, which in turn will justify a higher brick limit. I'm expecting features to work their way in based on needs like that, which this update will encourage.

But Nobot, you realize they aren't being remove JUST to add shadows and shading right? They're being removed to allow for more features

What you say about the vehicles and skis are true, but Kompressor is most likely well aware of this and will either A) have something prepared for this or B) Trust the modding community to do something about it

There are pros and cons to this new v21 update.

To me there just seems to be more cons than pros.

Everybody has there own opinions, people who are against the v21 update please post your feelings here and vote in the poll.

I may not have control over this update, we probably wont even effect it, but we can still try.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 05:52:37 PM by Nobot »

There is no use in petitioning the update. It is happening against our control. It is happening for sure and is unavoidable.

OGM IM LOSING MAPS THAT ARE GLITCHY AND DON'T ALLOW NEW FEATURES BECASUE IM GETTING COOLER GRAPHICS I ALWAYS ASKED FOR AND MAJOR BUG FIXES! THIS IS THE WORST THING EVER11!1!!!!

OGM IM LOSING MAPS THAT ARE GLITCHY AND DON'T ALLOW NEW FEATURES BECASUE IM GETTING COOLER GRAPHICS I ALWAYS ASKED FOR AND MAJOR BUG FIXES! THIS IS THE WORST THING EVER11!1!!!!
OMG YES! Why do you even care about graphics anyway. It's a game that consists of blocks, we don't need it. Trust me when the update comes you will regret it.

A select minority of blockland players are capable of mapping. However, the majority is capable of building. Therefor they are obviously going to take building over mapping because...

1. Blockland is a game about building.

2. Only a minority of players are capable of mapping.

OMG YES! Why do you even care about graphics anyway. It's a game that consists of blocks, we don't need it. Trust me when the update comes you will regret it.
Please note the bug fixes part and this topic.

jesus christ we have enough threads on this
we already have a poll
making another one will not change anyone's mind
get over yourselves already

Voted no
This topic is useless
you can't stop this game from updating.
It's like attempting to stop death
it's impossible
unless your name is eric hartman and your blockland id is 0.

A select minority of blockland players are capable of mapping. However, the majority is capable of building. Therefor they are obviously going to take building over mapping because...

1. Blockland is a game about building.

2. Only a minority of players are capable of mapping.
It doesn't matter about being able to map or not. It's more fun to play and express your building skills on different maps than just a flat maps.

A select minority of blockland players are capable of mapping. However, the majority is capable of building.

Dude mapping is the easiest thing over and like everyone can do it.

Nop, valid argument.

building's definitely easier, but that's irrelevant.

mapping was pretty boring. never really got into it, too buggy. all mission editor experiences for me usually resulted in crashing and progress loss.

Could you remove the "If you don't have anything constructive to say, don't say it." from my quote? That was directed at brian and the context is sort of lost here.

Edit: Thanks
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 05:54:01 PM by Nitramtj »

well
the thing i pretty much only do on blockland is go on random servers that i find fun.
This also makes TDMs on skylands/slate look pretty. like, rustys desert TDM, that would be beautiful with these new shaders.
but i agree for some parts of this update. Sure, i do like loving around on the slopes or the bedroom, but this rarely happens because of these servers we have.
also, when this update passes, I'll expect millions of Freebuilds.

I could map for blockland but I'm not that upset that it is gone, we needed a change. Think of other things like HL2, TF2, Portal, and some other games from childhood, get a level editor and start mapping on those. Blockland doesn't need interiors or terrain to be fun.