Poll

Realistic lighting or fun?

Realistic lighting + less fun
Moar fun

Author Topic: Blockland v20 + V21  (Read 26998 times)

Call me crazy, but I suspect that Badspot and kompressor might want to update Blockland even more in the future. If they suddenly decided it would be a good idea to split their userbase right down the middle in this update, then future updates would either be slower than they are now by having to cater to the current version and a future version, or only be given to the new version.

You might say "sure, fine, as long as I never have to leave the Bedroom," but we all know it would only be a matter of time before someone starts bitching about one version being disproportionately better, and the choice you're suggesting becomes "do you want to turn off 40% of the game's cool features just for two old ones?".

What happens when someone discovers how to crash v20 servers, or some other horrible exploit? Do they have to violate their pledge to stop caring just to make the players who don't want to get with the times feel better? What if they had fixed it unintentionally in the updated version without ever knowing it, or fixed it in a complete restructure of the game's engine code? There would be nothing to motivate them to care for you.

Thus, the only option would be to drop support for v20. They could leave the broken v20 in with the game, but for nearly anyone, it would be a no-brainer option. v21 is just skipping right to that point, dropping all the issues and extra work that would stem from splitting their userbase, packing two separate engines and sets of base game scripts into one, ignoring the cries of those that they aren't supposed to care about, then ultimately patching the userbase back up again.

In the end, there's no avoiding it. Just count on the game being better this way. Even if it's not great at first, you'll get used to it, and then the fun begins.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 11:35:32 AM by -Jetz- »

Graphics aren't everything about a game. Frankly, I enjoyed most of the terrain and interior maps because there was a lot to explore, the aesthetics for most of them were nice and there were lots of building base and style varieties. I don't really want to lose this, but if it must be, then it must be. If it must be, then LOLSTARTASPACEBUILDCLAN:3

Graphics aren't everything about a game. Frankly, I enjoyed most of the terrain and interior maps because there was a lot to explore, the aesthetics for most of them were nice and there were lots of building base and style varieties. I don't really want to lose this, but if it must be, then it must be. If it must be, then LOLSTARTASPACEBUILDCLAN:3

this update s the graphics update.
v22, v23, v24 and on will be giving us awesome content that couldnt have been done without killing terrains and interiors.

grow up

It's been stated I don't even know how many times that they didn't remove them just for the shadows and shaders.

Where the hell is the voting option: Update to V21! Idiot :/

Where the hell is the voting option: Update to V21! Idiot :/

"Get rid of v20 altogether". Learn how to put things into context.

"Get rid of v20 altogether". Learn how to put things into context.

"You can't stop v21." Learn how to put things into context.

"You can't stop v21." Learn how to put things into context.

I wasn't intending to stop it. This is only a suggestion. No need to go complete rage.

they're keeping both duh what do you think is taking so long.

Ok to stop this whole thing of losing our maps and stuff how about some make a link to v19 to download and play on that ?

Ok to stop this whole thing of losing our maps and stuff how about some make a link to v19 to download and play on that ?

V19 is not what we are talking about gtfo

V19 is not what we are talking about gtfo
V19 doesn't have a FORCE Updater.. V20 does.