Author Topic: Hidden, Locked folder Config.MSI - SUPER Converter, WHY?!  (Read 2731 times)

For years, I have trusted SUPER Converter for converting my files. It is a great program. In recent installers, they started asking "Would you like to install this?" Totally optional, understandable that they needed funds. However, their last installer crossed the line. They gave no options to prevent the bloatware. In installed "iNTERNET Turbo," which had some things like wajam, Inminmit, and 2faceyou. (Those last two are probably wrong). It installed things into my MSN as it was running, and then closed my MSN when uninstalling. Uninstalling some of this actually broke my Java and I had to reinstall. Furthermore, after uninstalling, I still found all their files neatly packed and still clearly running in a folder. However, I found something evenly as terrible as all that combined. There was a file called "TBhelper2.exe" in my task manager, and tracking it, it took me to C:\Config.MSI\ This folder is completely invisible and locked, and I can not figure out how to delete it. I was able to clear it of the few files visible to me, but I am at wits end to delete it. I do have Hidden Files and Folders checked, I should be able to see this, but I can't. The most I was able to do was rename the folder. Could someone help me get rid of this file, and possibly others I've missed?

Unchecking Read-only does not work. It pretends to, but reopening options shows it as fake.

Wow what starfishs. Just because you didn't want they're product they get pissy and leave a folder you can't remove? That's forgeted up.

Considering the EXE was running from there and I didn't actually see the EXE itself, chances are it is hidden the same way. Who knows what else is hidden in there. I want to burn the whole folder somehow.

Edit: I found this setting I can't seem to change. i think this is how it got forgeted up:

« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 05:40:45 PM by MegaScientifical »

did the installer mention it would install the extra stuff? even if there wasn't an option not to install the extra stuff it's still your fault for continuing anyway ..

but if it just silently installed it that's pretty stupid.

It said it was going to install two things. These two things actually came up in a separate window which I force quit as it was not giving me any option to deny it otherwise. However, the main installer window gave no mention of the other things it did and did so at a whim. I'm very disappointed - SUPER Converter is good, it has always helped me. I really don't know what I'd do without their program, I need it on occasion and I don't want to go back to Googling individual, crappy converters again.

Strange, I don't have it when I installed SUPER last week
This is why you pay attention to the installer

Surely that's illegal if they didn't tell you about them.

Strange, I don't have it when I installed SUPER last week
This is why you pay attention to the installer

There was an update on the seventh apparently. You didn't literally mean a week, right?

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/fileassassin

That sounds like Unlocker. I only got into this folder by tracking it through Task Manager. When I am outside the folder, it is not visible, even with Show Hidden Folders etc. checked. Or can FileAssassin still target it? I made a folder called forget you and it actually merged with the hidden one.

Edit: Well forget. Ethan suggested deleting with a Batch, but we both didn't remember the folder delete code. He said del, didn't work. I just looked up the directory delete command, worked without trouble. Still, I'll probably need help clearing the debris trail from all the crap. I've been using CCleaner to fix up my registry, HiJackthis isn't giving me any problems, so all that is left is sneaky crap and broken old files. Any ideas how to find these easily?

Edit2: I found one! C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\Iminent Full of installers and setups, enough for an invasion.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 06:05:38 PM by MegaScientifical »