Mapping with DTS

Author Topic: Mapping with DTS  (Read 3590 times)

Most us know by now that all proper maps will be useless as soon as the shadows update is released. For those of you who do not: http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=184699.0

In short, terrain and interior objects will not be usable. However, what about static shape DTS objects? E.g the trees outside the window in the Bedroom. You can't build on them, but they provide collision just like interior.

My question is this:
Could DTS objects be a decent alternative to interor and terrain? Is it be possible to make a large scale map using them?

If Badspot adds some type of improved collision, yes. Until then, .blbs are an option.

I believe that they would cause a huge amount of lag.

If Badspot adds some type of improved collision, yes. Until then, .blbs are an option.
So, right now there is a problem with the collision?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 08:57:12 PM by Jorgur »

I believe that they would cause a huge amount of lag.
yea so would graphics updates until they announced one. basically anything that hasn't been done before "lags"

So, right now there is a problem with the collision?

Collision detection can be pretty poor in Torque, sometimes resulting in two objects simply going through each other.

Collision detection can be pretty poor in Torque, sometimes resulting in two objects simply going through each other.

This only happens if object x's velocity is large enough for it to move past object y in one physics step, since it doesn't do backtracing.
But yes, kompressor really needs to improve this.

Play collision seems to work fine on my Bedroom DTS. I haven't tried vehicles though.

i would like a dts overhaul for mapping. not just to remake maps out of them, but to introduce them into maps with less of a static feel. For example,
Code: [Select]
Buildon = true;set this to true and you can build on your .dts, allowing people to build houses in trees

.blbs are not an option. Bricks can only reach the 64x64 size and Zax's bedroom brick lagged when you planted the ghost brick.

Code: [Select]
Buildon = true;set this to true and you can build on your .dts, allowing people to build houses in trees
That's actually really cool.

.blbs are not an option. Bricks can only reach the 64x64 size and Zax's bedroom brick lagged when you planted the ghost brick.
Then why is there a 96x cube?

Then why is there a 96x cube?
Then why does it not work?