Author Topic: [GUIDE] Hosting a Dedicated Server on Linux  (Read 5304 times)

I've spent hours trying to find a way to get a Blockland dedicated server running on Ubuntu Server. I rent a dedicated server, and they charge an extra $20 a month to have Windows. I like linux, so I didn't want to switch to windows just so I could host a Blockland server. After hours of research and testing I came up with something. This is the best I could do for hosting on Linux since Blockland does not officially support it at this time. Also, this installs a desktop like environment on your server, but I find the memory usage is rather low. If you have a lot of RAM it won't be a problem.

For this setup I've used Ubuntu 10.04 LTS x64. If your host does not offer that version you can most likely request it, I had to.

I also included a VirtualBox example at the bottom of this guide. This way you will be able to see how it works. You just download it, then import it to VB. I've included everything you need already to run the Blockland server.

----------------------------------------

First steps are to of course have Ubuntu 10.04 LTS installed, this may work on a VPS but I would suggest a dedicated server since this is what this tutorial is based on. Make sure you have at least 1GB of RAM for the Blockland server.

I did the following steps on a root user. If you do not have access to root simply add the sudo command infront of the commands below. Also, get a snack because this will take a while. It's a lot to download.

Step One: run the following command;
Code: [Select]
apt-get install xorg
It will start downloading some files, after it completes go to step two.

Step Two: run the following command;
apt-get install kdm
It will start downloading files, after it completes go to step three.

Step Three: run the following command;
apt-get install xfce4
It will start downloading more files, after it completes go to step four.

Step Four: run the following command;
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
Step Five: install wine;
apt-get install wine
Great, you've completed the first stage to hosting a blockland server.

You can skip this step if you already have access to a screen. This step allows you to see the desktop on your server.

apt-get install tightvncserver
Step Two: secure the server with a password with the following command;
vncpasswd
Step Three: download the tight vnc viewer to your pc;
>> Download Link <<

Step Four: connect;
You can connect by using Your_Server_IP:1

The next phase is downloading Blockland. You should make a folder on your Desktop, or whatever is easy to access.

Run the Blockland installer, wine should open it when you try to. Disable ALL the shortcuts, they don't work correctly on Linux unless you want to use the client. When you get to the path choose the folder you created.

After it's install you should have a file called BlocklandLauncher.exe. This is the file we want to run, so we are going to create a very simple script.

Create a new file called Start_Server.sh, open it and place this line.
wine BlocklandLauncher.exe -dedicated -map skylands
Now we need to chmod it so we can run it.
So cd (cd /path/to/folder/) to your folder that you installed Blockland to, and run the following code;
chmod +x Start_Server.sh
Afterwards, double-click Start_Server.sh. Blockland will start downloading the needed files after Wine sets up some things. After Blockland is done with the launcher the dedicated console window will load, after it loads it will ask for your key. Enter your key, press enter. Then your done!

So far I've found no problems by doing this. The server works as it should.

--------------------------------------

Here is the demo for VirtualBox, just import it.
The server is on the desktop. Just launch the start_server.sh and enter your key in the blockland console.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/reo457y81cljh4d/Blockland%20Server%20Demo.ova

The username for Linux is: owner
The password for Linux is: password1
The password for root user is (for ssh): password1
The password for VNC is: password

SSH is also installed.

Also, I've configured it with two network adapters. This is because the first one kept grabbing the wrong local IP address. The second one has a static local IP of 192.168.56.101 which should work if your router allows it. You can change it by editing /etc/network/interface with vi or something.

this requires a sticky
now

apt-get install xorg
It will start downloading some files, after it completes go to step two.

Step Two: run the following command;
apt-get install kdm
It will start downloading files, after it completes go to step three.

Step Three: run the following command;
apt-get install xfce4
It will start downloading more files, after it completes go to step four.

FYI, you can just do this:
apt-get install xorg kdm xfce4

Anyway.

this requires a sticky
now

also, could this work on Ubuntu 12.04?

Seems to be working on Ubuntu 12.04 LTE

sudo apt-get install xorg kdm xfce4; sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-org; sudo apt-get install wine

ok now you can get your snack

I say good chap. You did a rather smashing job, lad.

the VNC isn't working :S

Make sure you open your port in the router. Port 1 is what it should be at.

Holy stuff I can finally build a server :O

This is an excellent guide and deserves a sticky.

the VNC isn't working :S

Just following up; did you ever get it working?

Make sure you open your port in the router. Port 1 is what it should be at.
VNC runs on port 5900 by default, and I doubt you can open port 1 due to it being required for some system process.

also: RDP.

VNC runs on port 5900 by default, and I doubt you can open port 1 due to it being required for some system process.

also: RDP.

I connected using port 1. Unless it changed itself that should be the port.

I connected using port 1. Unless it changed itself that should be the port.
No, but many VNC clients replace low ports like port 1 with 5900+n. So port 1 would be changed to 5901, etc.