Author Topic: N: The Way of the Ninja - A Flash Game from my Childhood  (Read 701 times)

You are a ninja.

Your god-like speed, dexterity, jumping power, and reflexes are the result of an amazingly fast metabolism; sadly, so is your natural lifetime of 1.5 minutes.

Like all ninjas, you have an unquenchable thirst for gold, a natural propensity for exploring rooms infested by increasingly lethal ninja-killing robots, and a devout belief in N.

N, "the way of the ninja", is a highly advanced system of spiritual, cognitive, and physical training.

It emphasizes pacifism, humility, and the need to traverse a series of 5 rooms before the end of your lifetime; a feat known only as "beating an episode".

In accordance with the teachings of N, it is your profound hope that one day you will develop the skill, intelligence, and inexplicable ability to reincarnate necessary to achieve mastery of all 100 episodes.

This is quite an old flash game I always used to play when I was younger. Most of you may be more familiar with its sequel, "N+", which was released for Xbox Live Arcade in 2008. The game has also been released in the same year for Nintendo DS and PSP, but only in the US.

The goal of the game is simple; you have 90 seconds to reach the end of every episode, each with 5 rooms infested with lethal robots that mostly kill on touch, and various other traps. Collecting pieces of gold will add 2 seconds to the timer, which is known as "your lifespan".

A screenshot of "the motherlode", the first room of the first episode.

Controls: The left and right arrow keys move the ninja left and right. The shift key makes him jump off the ground and off of walls. (Thankfully, there's an option to re-map your controls at the main menu, so you won't need to worry about stickykeys) Finally, pressing the K key will kill you, useful for restarting a room.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 04:12:47 AM by Isaac Fox »

I have N+ for the 360. Pretty fun to play with friends.

Holy stuff, nostalgiagasm.

The version you posted is horribly butchered and has a quarter of the levels that it's supposed to have.

You can find the official version at http://www.thewayoftheninja.org/n.html

Ahh.. The good ol' days..

I had N+ on the DS but then I sold it.

The version you posted is horribly butchered and has a quarter of the levels that it's supposed to have.

You can find the official version at http://www.thewayoftheninja.org/n.html

I was wondering where that was.

Updated the OP. Should lead to the full downloadable version instead of the browser version.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 04:13:24 AM by Isaac Fox »