Thoughts on Religion

Author Topic: Thoughts on Religion  (Read 2012 times)

Let's go back to the very beginning.
Well not the very beginning; let's go to the Roman Empire.

The Romans had a god or goddess for everything they couldn't explain. And since science was rather nonexistent back then, there were few things the Romans could explain without slapping the metaphorical Divine Intervention sticker on it and calling a day. Around half-past a long time ago, Christianity/Judaism/Islam came about. This simplified much by narrowing it down to one god, aptly named "God" (Allah, Yahweh, Morgan Freeman, etc.), and saying that every phenomenon that could not be explained was an act of his divine will.
"Well okay," said everyone, "I can roll with that."
Then Galileo sauntered in, and he said, "Hmm... nah."
So he researched.
And researched.
And he finally came to the conclusion: "Hey, the earth revolves around the sun!"
Now the Pope caught wind of this, and he went over to Galileo's house and said, "Hey man, quit. You're making me look bad."
Galileo, being the bold motherforgeter he was, didn't quit. He got arrested and starting throwing balls out of the Leaning Tower.
After a few centuries of much the same silliness, modern science was born.
Now to lean away from this comical bullstuff.

Skip forward about 423 years, and you'll find that science, while not very advanced in the grand scheme of things, has achieved about enough to put God out of business. We found out that he likely didn't create the universe, and that he likely doesn't even exist. The Big Bang theory (love that show) came about, and the die-hard Creationists stuck to their guns. Charles Darwin came up with the theory of evolution, and still they stuck to their guns. In the Information Age, where anything you could want to know about anything is just a click away, where the entire history of science can be found on one website, they stick to their guns.
What's the logic in accepting something that cannot be scientifically proven, and shunning something that can be?
Spiritual fulfillment cannot be a factor. Can the same fulfillment not be found in science? I mean, how is this fulfillment found in something that is not known to be 100% pure, unbiased, proven scientific fact? Somebody help me with this.
I for one could not take comfort in the fact that a malevolent god watches over us constantly, forcing us to do his will. I am the architect of my own destiny, and that comforts me.
I'm not angry that people find comfort in religion, it just fascinates me that, in the face of scientific fact and viable proof, there are billions of people who believe in an archaic representation of humanity's fear of the unknown. And yes, we're still just taking our baby steps into the universe, but we'll get to the point at which a higher power is no longer needed, having scientifically proven everything that can be proven.
And I have to wonder, will there still be religion?

Notes:
-Philosophy is not the same as science, in case you didn't know
-Please don't start anything. I'm just curious.
-Sorry if my history isn't quite accurate; that's not the crux of the thread anyway
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 08:58:03 PM by Man 2 »

Oh forget
NO NONO
NOT THIS THREAD

Starting to wonder if anybody actually read a word of it.

Oh stuff... Let the forum wars begin. Wars normally have got some relation to two different cultures religion and how they view each other differently because of the way that they operate. they are thick and not open minded.

Philosophy is not the same as science, in case you didn't know

Oh, really?

What a dumb comment.

Yes, i read it all.

Also, DAMN!!! That's a big-ass post you got there!!!

lul i didnt read the OP

As time goes on, it seems dumb things die out so at the rate of dumb thing dying out we're going at now, I'd imagine it will be completely removed from modernized countries within 100 years.

Religion is a load of bollocks

there will always be religion

there will always be insecure people seeking a father figure and rules to guide them

Oh forget
NO NONO
NOT THIS THREAD

lock
Oh stuff... Let the forum wars begin. Wars normally have got some relation to two different cultures religion and how they view each other differently because of the way that they operate. they are thick and not open minded.
you should all be banned for thread stuffting

you should all be banned for thread stuffting

We all know what is going to happen.

Huge massive flame war where everyone thinks they are right.

it's funny because nothing is even happening yet and you guys are stuffting your pants