Bedroom (Save released)

Author Topic: Bedroom (Save released)  (Read 15735 times)

The time has finally come. Over 6 months in the making I have finally finished building the Bedroom. Actually I could have probably finished it in about a month but I'm a lazy motherforgeter. Anyways, here you go. Have fun with it. I will eventually (~1 week) contact Badspot and ask him what he thinks about this and whether he would accept this as a default save.

Why 1 week? I want you guys to check this out properly. I am quite certain I double checked every nook and cranny so there shouldn't be any holes, mistakes, and whatnot but I'm just one guy. I made this for the community. If the community finds something they don't like or something they would improve, I will listen and fix anything to the best of my skill.

So if you find a hole in the wall, a brick with a wrong color (Relative to the bricks nearby), or something that could have been done using less bricks. Please let me know in this thread.

(Default Bedroom) Saves are not yet compatible with this.

Naturally I have only used default bricks and colorset. The colors are surprisingly accurate but I could have cut down several thousand bricks had I used custom bricks. I guess you can't have anything.

Brick count: 41186
Work time: ~68 hours (across 200 days)

Download
If your browser opens a text file simply right click the link and "Save link as" or similar.

(Save preview)

8/9/12
Fixed ramp color inside bed.
Removed a vehicle spawn accidentally left in.

7/9/12
Initial release.

If you're interested in seeing the development threads.
http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=186182.0
http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=202038.0

They have dozens of images showing the progress of the build from nothing to completion. I built the entire thing myself but I should give special thanks to Sleven for pointing out a few spots where I could save bricks and a couple of holes.

Okay then. How accurate is this thing? Of course it isn't 100% since I was greatly restricted by the available default bricks and of course the cuboid nature of them. I would still argue that this is as accurate as it can get using default bricks. Below I have listed some things that are different from the actual Bedroom interior.

The reason for not fixing the difference is in brackets.

Notable differences
  • The rim on the side of the roof right above Bedroom does not exist in the real one. I have a very good reason for adding this. It covers up the edge of the roof thus saving thousands of bricks. If you look at the roof extruding above the window you can see I didn't continue the rim because it would have looked weird. I had to cover that part of the roof's edge with bricks. Just look at how ugly it looks and how many bricks it takes. I would have needed to do that for the entire length of the roof. It would have been terrible. I decided to have less bricks than more accuracy here. It was the only realistic choice.

• The tunnel leading to the basement is entire made up by me using as few bricks as I could without making look completely crap. Since in the actual Bedroom the tunnel is formed from the terrain I could not realistically replicate that part.

• The entire Bedroom (As in the concrete foundation, thus raising the entire thing up) is about 25 plates higher than it should be. This is due to the fact that the actual Bedroom sits on a terrain that varies in height. I decided to do it like this so I could use 64x cubes for the foundation.

• The angled rims around the roofs have some differences in their angle and height. It's the best I could do using cubes.

• Inside the horizontal (Not the angled parts or the part above the window) wooden rim and beams are 3 plates higher. (Brick count)

• The vertical wooden rims are 4 bricks wider and deeper. (Brick count.)

• The secret inside the wall is 4 bricks thinner because bricks are not two dimensional.

• The wooden beams inside near the ceiling are visible in the wall of the wall secret. (Brick count)

• The "poster quick release" (Inside the wall behind the poster) and credits area were added by me.
  • The extruding white walls inside the bed are 2 plates too high. (Brick count)
  • The first part of the tunnel inside the bed is not angled. (Brick count, accessibility)
  • The ramp inside the bed is 1 brick too wide. (Brick count)
  • The vent is 1 brick too high and to the left. (Brick count)
  • The socket next to the drawer is 1 brick to left. (Brick count)
  • The clock on the drawer is not angled. I don't think I need to explain why.
  • The upper stair outside is 1 plate too high (Brick count)
  • The lower stair outside is 5 plates too low (Brick count)
  • The basement floor is 1 plate too low (Brick count. It would have obstructed a large cube.)
  • The lower roof plateu is 2 plates too high (Would have looked bad)
  • The higher roof plateu is 1 plate too low (Would have looked bad)

As for invisible bricks. I tried my best to use as few of them as possible but sometimes I simply could not do that. The diagonal rims around the roof and the lampshade are supported by invisible (Rendering off, no collision, no raycasting) bricks.

Screenshots! Please note that using this save with shadows on makes everything inside dark (depending on the sky of course) since they are interior spaces and do not have a direct line of sight to the sun. I suggest using minimum shaders or turning them off.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 02:58:20 AM by Demian »

I love it.
mmmm~

This is seriously awesome, good job.

We can't load any bedroom save in this, tho :(
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 04:29:11 AM by MrLoL² »

I remember last Halloween we went into one of the secret rooms and renders kept poping up every 5 seconds.
They came in hordes holy stuff.

*Lamebro1 sheds a tear

Got my download :D

Are you sure the stairs are that color?

Are you sure the stairs are that color?
As close I could make them.

This was exactly the place of render ception.

:C

The ramp is supposed to white, and can we rate?

The ramp is supposed to white, and can we rate?
I don't mind.

Good catch! I didn't notice that.

10 out of loving 10.
I love you.

I'm rating this 10/10, you did a great job, and it looks a LOT like the original bedroom, you can be proud of yourself.

I think you should ignore being as accurate as possible and use grey instead of the spots where you've used blue.