Author Topic: [Tutorial] Flat-Shading Models in MilkShape 3D  (Read 15772 times)

After perusing the forum a bit, I was unable to find any clear, concise instructions on flat-shading (in regard to MilkShape 3D).  I found several that suggested many things, but none that I saw provided step-by-step instructions that actually worked.  So, after messing with MilkShape for a while, I found a series of steps that works for me.  Hopefully this will answer everyone's questions.

1. Create your model.

2. Assign all parts of your model to a material.

Multiple materials can be used, resulting in multiple shades:

Full Color = blank.png
          75% Color / 25% Black = black25.png
          50% Color / 50% Black = black50.png
          50% Color / 50% White = whiteCheck.png
          25% Color / 75% Black = black75.png

3. Select all faces that you want to be flat-shaded.

4. Click the 'Vertex' menu and choose 'Unweld'.

5. Under the 'Groups' tab, uncheck 'Auto Smooth'.

6. Click the 'Vertex' menu and choose 'Weld Together'.

7. Click the 'Tools' menu and choose 'Tile texture mapper..'.

8. In the 'Tile texture mapper settings' window, just leave the default settings and click 'OK'.

9. Click the 'File' menu and choose 'Export' and then choose 'Torque DTS Plus...'.

10. In the 'Torque DTSPlus Exporter' window, uncheck the following:

'Generate .cs file'
     'Output dump file'
     'Export Animations' (Unless your model uses animation.)

11. In the 'Torque DTSPlus Exporter' window, click 'Apply' and then click 'Export DTS'.

12. In the save dialog, choose your filename and save location and click 'Save'.

13. In the .cs file for your item, modify the following properties to match your desired effect:

doColorShift (true or false)
     colorShiftColor (Red / 255   Green / 255   Blue / 255   Alpha / 255)

That should be all there is to it.  I made several models with this technique and it worked for all of them.  Let me know if you have any questions about or problems with flat-shading that aren't answered or solved by this tutorial.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 10:03:43 AM by Trader »

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Finally something definitive.

I have to test this but am confident that it will work. Now my models should look alot more "Blockland-ish". That removes some of the flame issues atleast. :)

I have a question though. Transparency. How do I make/what texture do I use to make something transparent?. Slider bars don't work.

Perhaps I'll make another topic for that question.  I don't mind helping, but try to stick to this topic's original intent.

Some of these steps are confirmed not to work.
4-8 for instance, I'm not sure what it can do. I've tried those steps alone, but I'll try this nonetheless.

They are confirmed by me.  I'd post a pic of the flat-shaded model I exported, but I am at work.

Nice tutorial, i don't think i did it right though, cause not all of my model is flat shaded :P

Keep working at it.  I'll try to post or link to an ms3d file as an example of this tutorial.

I'm using a texture on my model (as opposed to a solid color like black25.png or all of those) and when I hit "tile texture mapper" and hit ok, my texture dissapears. Is this normal? Will the texture appear when I export?

Browse for the texture again after tile texture mapper to make sure it'll work

Yeah, MilkShape has weird quirks sometimes when displaying textured models.  I can't explain why it occurs, but the steps above should help your model come out right.

It's in beta, that should be expected.

Didn't work again, my weapon is barely flat shaded, its smooth shaded :(

Well, it's worked for every model I've done.  Ask Bushido, I flat-shaded a vehicle for him.

Here's the example I promised, as well as a sneak peak into one of the add-ons I'm currently developing: