1 (2.3%)
Nintendocore/Chiptune
3 (7%)
Metalcore/Hardcore
6 (14%)
Black Metal
1 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Author Topic: Metal Music Megathread - Sponsoring forum musicians now!  (Read 13120 times)

METAL MUSIC

One of the greatest genres of music to emerge, from my opinion, with influences from rock, jazz, and many other subtle influences, and with millions of fans around the world appreciating its subgenres, metal music is pretty awesome. Downtuned guitars, distortion, double bass pedals, and many other things help defy what metal and its many subgenres are.

RULES OF THE TOPIC

1. Don't trash another sub-genre because you dislike it. Just because you don't like someone screaming with their "emo lyrics" (which is totally subjunctive, by the way), complaining about it doesn't make you any cooler. Stating you dislike it is fine, just don't be a jerk
2. Don't be a jerk about if you dislike some band, pretty much same as number one
3. I don't know if anyone else on the forum is like this, but don't get in a heated genre war. If you don't know what I mean by that, then you probably don't have to worry about this one
4. If you don't like metal music at all and decide to complain about it here, go ahead. Your cries will be ignored. Also, you should probably get a better taste in music.
5. Try to actually have discussions when possible, and not just dump links. It's preferable to keep this topic alive. Also, if you are going to bump it, make it a good one.

SOME MAJOR SUBGENRES

HEAVY METAL

Pretty much the start of the genre, includes many popular metal bands ranging from the start with Black Sabbath to bands like Megadeth and Metallica. Evolved from rock music with cooler solos, more distortion, and loudness.

Some bands include:

Metallica
Black Sabbath
Anthrax
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Megadeth

Thrash metal is a subgenre under this, which usually includes fast tempos and shredding lead guitars. Bands like:

Metallica
Testament
Megadeth
Slayer

are classic examples of thrash metal.

Glam metal (also known commonly as hair and pop metal) is another popular subgenre under here which combines pop like guitar riffs, and heavy metal shred solos. Includes bands such as:

Guns n' Roses
KISS,
Alice Cooper
Van Halen

and similar artists

Black Metal

An extreme subset of heavy metal, usually includes shrieked and screamed vocals, along with high tuned, distorted guitars. Lyrics tend to be dark/satanic.

Some bands include:

Cradle of filth
Dimmu Borgir
(and uh... help here)

Power Metal

With roots in Europe, power metal combines traditional heavy metal and speed metal together. Lyrics are usually about something fantasy related, such as viking epics, dragon slaying, and various other things. Includes smaller subgenres such as folk metal.

Some bands include:

Alestorm
Dragonforce
Epica
Sabaton
Persuader

Death Metal

A much heavier version of heavy metal, usually includes growled and shouted vocals, along with varied song structure and very fast tempos. Can't add much more here (halp pls).

Some bands include:

Arch Enemy
Dying Fetus
Job for a cowboy
Faceless
Impending Doom
Amon Amarth
Dethklok(need help adding more)
Deicide

Melodic death metal is a distinct variant of this subgenre, which incorporates clean vocals and some harmonic guitar playing. Popular bands under this category include:

In Flames (old)
Arch Enemy
Soilwork
Children of Bodom

and other related bands, which all happen to originate from Sweden

Groove Metal

Taking many elements of thrash and death metal, along with some industrial and punk elements, and turning them down to mid tempo, groove metal is a popular sub genre which also laid the roots for metalcore and nu-metal. Vocals can be harsh or clean.

Some bands include:

Pantera
Sepultura
Lamb of God
Five Finger Death Punch

Djent is a newish progressive subgenre (which is coined from the sound that a heavily downtuned guitar sounds when palm muted and dowjstroked a certain way) of this (and math metal) (yes it is, get over it), which usually employs the use of heavily downtuned 7 or 8 string guitars, and also employs the use of grooves and polyrhythms. Bands such as:

Meshuggah
Periphery
Textures
Vildhjarta

and certain other bands would fit this sub-sub-genre.

Metalcore

Combining elements of punk hardcore, and heavy metal, along with influences from death metal, metalcore is a genre that combines a somewhat fast with heavy playing, and heavy vocals. Unlike death metal, clean vocals are used more often, and song structures are somewhat predictable.

Some bands include:

All That Remains
Killswitch Engage
As I Lay Dying
The Devil Wears Prada
August Burns Red (they are considered somewhat progressive though)
Asking Alexandria

Progressive metal

Progressive metal can overlap with nearly any sub genre here, but usually incorporates new and experimental elements into songwriting. This can include irregular time signatures, inclusion of strings and other instruments, change in song structure, many things. Personally, one of my favorite subgenres

Some bands include:

Between the Buried and Me (Progressive Death/Groove Metal)
Dream Theatre (Progressive Heavy Metal)
Protest the Hero (Progressive.... I dunno metal)
Periphery (Progressive groove metal)
Animals as Leaders (Metal-Jazz fusion)

Opeth
Tool
Ayeron
Symphony X

Industrial Metal

Taking certain elements of heavy, thrash, and punk music and adding industrial dance music beats to it, industrial music is also quite the popular subgenre. The constant use of sampling and synths along with guitar riffs makes this sub genre very distinct from others.

Some bands include:

Rammstein
Nine Inch Nails
KMFDM
Marilyn Manson

Dodger's Personal Highlight

Fellow Forumer Musicians

VerticalHorizon

Vert here is quite the guitarist, and has a band (or solo project, need more info from him) called Codex Obscura. Their (or his) first album along with some of his other stuff is in his Youtube Channel

ShadowsFear

Shadowsfear doesn't have a lot of original content at the moment, but I am willing to bet he MIGHT just make a little bit of djent. His soundclous includes a couple demos at the moment, and his youtube includes a few covers.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 09:45:21 PM by Dodger »

I really don't like Metal.

Black Sabbath <3

GENERALS GATHER IN THEIR MASSES
JUST LIKE WITCHES IN BLACK MASSES

Flawless rhyme

Punk Goes Pop does some awesome covers

And I'm told ABR's cover of one of Brittany Spears songs is excellent ;p

I'm not a fan of classic heavy metal, but I like a lot of metalcore. Heard some good bands at warped tour last year.

I liked industrial metal back then. Now I grew fond of melodic death metal.

Iron Maiden is one of my favorite groups, but so are Judas Priest and Black Sabbath. Metal is just awesome.

Don't forget Megadeth in the heavy metal section, maybe add a sub-section under heavy metal for thrash.

Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax, Napalm Death, etc for thrash.

Would Rammstein go in metal?