Elevator Events

Author Topic: Elevator Events  (Read 12981 times)

Elevators: The great prize of many builds. On space stations, they're called "turbolifts", in skyscrapers, they're called "freight elevators", and in hospitals they're called "this guy is dying, everyone move!!!" (Wait, what was that last one?)

However, since shadows and shaders, Kalphiter's glass elevators have broken - and glass didn't particularly suit most of these builds anyway. As a result, we have been elevatorless, stranded, without hope. Until one day, on December 10th, a Monday, I started an elevator for a space station RP (which was, ultimately, scrapped). Realizing that this could become the new elevator events Blockland so sorely needed, I began working. (Read: occasionally focused long enough to get something done.) And thus, here we are, two weeks later, on December 22nd, three days before Christmas.

I give to you... buildable elevator events.

All the event inputs and outputs are, I should hope, fairly intuitive - except two.
These are Elev_AddPart and Elev_Create. I won't tell you how Elev_AddPart works because I've truly already forgotten the syntax. All I know is that it's probably better to let the autoeventer handle it.

As for Elev_Create, there are four boxes. The first is the lowest floor, and the floor that the elevator starts on. This allows you to have elevators start halfway up a skyscraper, at floor thirty instead of floor one.

The next is the highest floor. This is the highest floor the elevator can go to.
Third, the INTERIOR height, in PLATES. This is the size BETWEEN the roof and ceiling, INSIDE the elevator, in PLATES. Not bricks, PLATES.
Finally, the FLOOR height, in PLATES. This is the size of each floor.

For more info about events and other stuff, look at this thread.

Enough blabbering, you guys probably all want to have a crack at the elevators now!
DOWNLOAD
There. Click the big blue text. Up there. One line above this. The big blue bold text.

EDIT: Quick update to fix an AddPart exploit.

Example save (click the bare 8x8 in the middle to spawn the elevator):
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 03:33:57 AM by Xalos »

i would make love to you but i'm too busy touching myself to how great these elevators probably are

« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 04:00:27 AM by chrisbot6 »

Why do you put everything in one line?
Now I need to work an hour to seperate the lines before I can look how it works :c

Now I need to work an hour to seperate the lines before I can look how it works :c

My brain is a supercomputer capable of reading the entire text file at a glance and editing it arbitrarily even when I have no whitespace at all.

(^^^   total bullstuff)

Probably because your text editor is using the wrong line break sequence.

Awesome, but fix transparent bricks pls

Why do you complain about everything?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 04:25:34 AM by MrLoL² »

Awesome, but fix transparent bricks pls

Bug Badspot about that. It's out of my control, it's an engine problem.

You can only place like 6 blocks in an elevator?

ajfakjggjkas I'm dumb.

25 Max. :C
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 05:16:53 AM by Dexxtter »

Rather than allowing the person to go through the floor when the Elevator squishes them, it's best to actually kill them upon them getting compressed.

Also, it may just be me being picky but when I am in first person, I see bricks which have been built on the elevator which just go, and you can't see them until you move the head again.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 06:32:56 AM by nerraD »

Hey, I saw these only a few days ago in testing.

Pics of them or a video of them in action would be super.