Author Topic: Musical instruments that actually play music  (Read 7834 times)

Basically, animated items that can play music loops when used.  To do this, you would type "/playsong [(beginning of) name of music loop]" to pick what you want to play, then hold primary fire.  By default, "none" would be selected.  With no music selected, no sound plays, but the instrument continuously animates as if you're playing.  Groups of players (or bots) could pretend to play in bands by having just one actually play the music while the others animate silently.  Larger instruments might not make as much sense to be running around with, but a few could be made more plausible with straps.

Possible instruments (and associated animations):
  • Accordion (squeeze and pull)
  • Banjo (strum)
  • Bass drum (hit each side with mallet alternately)
  • Boombox (not really an instrument but fits with this idea; pulsates cartoonishly)
  • Cello (bow)
  • Clarinet (bell pulses cartoonishly)
  • Cymbals (hit together)
  • Electric Guitar/Bass (strum)
  • Flute (???)
  • French Horn (bell pulses cartoonishly)
  • Guitar (strum)
  • Harmonica (move back and forth in front of face)
  • Keyboard (hands move up and down)
  • Saxophone (bell pulses cartoonishly)
  • Snare drum (do a drum roll)
  • Trombone (bell pulses cartoonishly)
  • Annoying Orangeet (bell pulses cartoonishly)
  • Tuba (bell pulses cartoonishly)
  • Upright Bass (pluck; could "cheat" by using same model as cello)
  • Violin (bow)
  • Xylophone (hit with mallets)

Additionally, the instrument would emit a music note particle effect.  This would make it more obvious that a particular instrument is being played, especially if it lacks an obvious animation (such as the flute which may lack animation entirely).

I would volunteer to model and animate a few myself, but I have no idea where I would begin.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 04:04:35 AM by Plastiware »

I have several instruments that I could record, for things like solos.

I have several instruments that I could record, for things like solos.

That would be great.  You would release these in the music forum I expect?

That would be great.  You would release these in the music forum I expect?
Yes, absolutely. It just so happens that I have everything you've already listed.
Everything.

If the scripter were up to the task, I could also record individual notes for people who want to play their own stuff.

Yes, absolutely. It just so happens that I have everything you've already listed.
Everything.

If the scripter were up to the task, I could also record individual notes for people who want to play their own stuff.

I think that would be getting away from the original idea a bit much.  Animated items that play whatever music loop you select are good enough, and are a lot more likely to produce actual music when played in real-time by players on a laggy server.

Incidentally, I own a resonator-backed banjo, though I'm not terribly great at playing it.  Perhaps sometime in the near future I'll record a loop or two of my own to contribute.

Yesyesyes
Guys we need to make this.
I would help, but sadly I can't script or model, and I can't record myself playing music.

http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=160998.0

I actually tried that out before posting this, and as far as I can tell it doesn't work as a music player, it just plays random short riffs when you use it.

I actually tried that out before posting this, and as far as I can tell it doesn't work as a music player, it just plays random short riffs when you use it.
And?

And?
...and that's not what OP wants?

try reading OP for once?

dumb question but
how would it look?
for example, on the Annoying Orangeet, will we hold it with 1 hand, or stretch out the hands to reach the pistons things?

dumb question but
how would it look?
for example, on the Annoying Orangeet, will we hold it with 1 hand, or stretch out the hands to reach the pistons things?

You know how some two-handed weapons hide the player's left hand and draw a custom animated left hand?  It would be sort of like that.  For every instrument, the player's hands are hidden and a custom pair of animated hands holds and appears to play the instrument.  Normally, I think this looks terrible, but in this case I think it would be justified.

In fact, even though they don't really play music like I'd like them to, Asp's guitars actually aren't a bad example of this.

A bell-pulsing sax?

loving yes.