Paper Mario Sticker Star: Secret Serial Code Conspiracy

Author Topic: Paper Mario Sticker Star: Secret Serial Code Conspiracy  (Read 12285 times)

Lately I've been playing Paper Mario Sticker Star, (Also, this isn't in games because this is not about the game, it's about the conspiracy surrounding a secret code found within the game) and have been enjoying it. Recently I got to world 5-1 where I was tasked with finding and catching three enemies that were holding items I needed to progress. One of these three enemies was found by digging though a dump-like trash area. In random areas in this dump you would be prompted to dig through the trash. Upon digging through the trash you will usually find a note, sometimes an enemy, and rarely the enemy you needed to find. These notes that you dig up have some funny and intriguing text, such as: "<mental note>", "Nothing's written on here. Whoa.", etc. But two notes really caught my eye:

"XD3R-B8HH-9ZR2-FL16" and "||||| ||||| ||||| ||"

The first message is clearly a code, my first inclination was to enter it into the 3DS eShop. When I came up with no results, I tried the Wii and Wii U eShops. Still no results. I scoured the internet trying to see if anyone had found out what this code was for; many theories, but no conclusive evidence.

Just now I thought that maybe the note with the lines on it had something to do with the note with the code. The only thing I could think of was that the lines indicated a cipher. Since there are four different sequences in both notes, I theorized that it could be a form of a Rotn cipher.

These are the possible ciphers I could think of:

1) Rot5 Rot5 Rot5 Rot2 ~This goes off of my counting each line in each quadrant and assigning the sum to the respective quadrant of the strange code.
2) -Rot5 -Rot5 -Rot5 -Rot2 ~The exact opposite of number one.
3) Rot17 ~This just is just all of the lines added together and assigned to all quadrants indiscriminately
4) -Rot17 ~The exact opposite of number 3

Since I wasn't sure whether or not I should include zero in the numbers area of rotation, there are eight resulting codes:

1a) CI8W-G3MM-4EW7-HN38
1b) CI8W-G4MM-5EW7-HN38

2a) SY2M-W3CC-4UM3-DJ14
2b) SY3M-W3CC-4UM4-DJ24

3a) OU0I-S5YY-6QI9-WC83
3b) OU2I-S7YY-8QI1-WC95

4a) GM4A-K9QQ-8IA5-OU61
4b) GM6A-K1QQ-9IA7-OU83

I have not, as of yet, tested any of these results, but I will begin testing them when I get the chance.

Please discuss other possibilities and theories.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 06:56:56 PM by Gamefandan »

~Reserved for test results~

I love easter eggs and overbrown townyzation

It might be your license, Or it might be a code to win something.

It might be your license.

The code is not personal, if you Google it you will see that everyone has the same code and no one knows what it is.

Tried entering it on steam yet?

Well, gamefandan appears to be the smartest person investigating it thus far, given the first few google results were populated by mostly idiots who had no clue.

Woah, that's weird.

Tried entering it on steam yet?

Been done by a lot of reddit users already.

Nintendo would most likely have the code go into a product they own, respectively. Try to narrow down nintendo services and code entering boxes that use an XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX Format. Then try the codes into all of the candidates that use that format.

I saw that and thought it looked like a BL Key.
Thought nothing else about it since I was not expecting anything special from this 'game'..

Is there a credits list for that game?
Find all the people who did the programming and find their contract info and ask them what it means.

FYI, "-Rot2" is Rot24, and so on. There isn't actually such a thing as -Rot2.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 05:56:23 PM by DontCare4Free »

FYI, "-Rot2" is Rot24, and so on. There isn't actually such a thing as -Rot2.

I know, but it's easier to think of it as the opposite. It's just how my brain works.