Someone should make an "anti-microphone"

Author Topic: Someone should make an "anti-microphone"  (Read 1863 times)

So an anti-microphone is exactly what it sounds like, the opposite of a microphone. Instead of amplifying sound it completely absorbs it.

If you've heard of it, there's a certain room that people built in such a way and out of such materials so that it absorbed all sound. So much so that people often hallucinated when staying inside too long because of the complete and utter silence. I think someone should make something similar, only that's usable like a mic.

That way all the self conscious people who don't like singing in public can sing as loudly and obnoxiously as they wanted to without others hearing them, lol

Think something like this is possible?

pretty sure its not possible but i know little

That room sounds awesome.

But yeah, it could be kinda interesting. Better earplugs too.

Then wait. How would the person talking/singing hear themselves?

This would be very useful.

I could swear in rage 'n' stuff while playing TF2 without my parents listening.

well this kinda exists for most gaming headsets. they absorb sounds that are not your voice, to avoid feedback and noise spam.
though it only works through a broadcast, not in the room where you are making the sound lol.

Then wait. How would the person talking/singing hear themselves?
Maybe there could be a tiny mic inside the anti-mich that sends sound into your headphones, whereas all the rest of the sound is absorbed? I dunno, lol

Well if you have sound half a wavelength off it will interfere with itself thus nullifying the sound. If you had very accurate and computer controlled speakers they in combination with a microphone would potentially be able to block off noise.

unless you know how to make a device that sucks in audio waves, im pretty sure this is impossible

unless you know how to make a device that sucks in audio waves, im pretty sure this is impossible
Its called a vaccuum cleaner

acoustics pro here

the microphone wouldn't work. sound waves won't just go into the microphone, but the whole room. and would bounce off the walls (unless treated with 2 inch acoustic foam) and everyone else would hear it.

acoustics pro here

the microphone wouldn't work. sound waves won't just go into the microphone, but the whole room. and would bounce off the walls (unless treated with 2 inch acoustic foam) and everyone else would hear it.
Would it work if it was bowl-shaped end? Then if used it so that it covered your mouth it might be able to absorb the sound before it can enter into the room

acoustics pro here

i have about 500 sq. feet of two inch acoustic foam WOO

that $125,000 my family put into a failed business pays off

Isn't that room -9 decibels?

Because of the way sound waves generally travel spherically, this probably isn't possible in the way you're suggesting. The closest thing I can think of is noise-cancelling headphones, which literally cancel out the incoming sound waves by sending some to collide with the noise or something