The Animal Crossing Megathread - Rest in Peace

Author Topic: The Animal Crossing Megathread - Rest in Peace  (Read 106587 times)

"Let he who has only played 8 hours of Animal Crossing cast the first Megathread"
 -Nook 8:7

We've moved!
All discussion is now happening in the new thread.

Screenshots shown are all from Animal Crossing: New Leaf

What is Animal Crossing?

Animal Crossing is a series of games in which the player takes the role of a human player moving into a town populated by people-like animals. Gameplay is extremely laid back and consists of doing various activities around town, such as fishing, conversing with the other town residents, and gathering fruit. There are no set goals, though your neighbors may give you small tasks to complete upon speaking with them, which are often met with rewards in the form of customization items. Selling spare items and objects you find around town give you money to purchase new clothes, furniture, accessories, and more. Certain items, primarily clothing, can also be designed by the player. Players can visit each other's towns over wireless and wi-fi to socialize, trade items, and explore. Animal Crossing games run in real time, which means different things happen at different times on different days during different parts of the year.

A lot of people say that Animal Crossing is not a game you can have someone describe to you and decide whether you'll like it or not. Many find themselves enjoying it despite how boring it sounds, and suggest that playing it is really the only way you'll know for sure. "I never thought I'd actually have fun grinding for money", says twitch.tv streamer Ryxos.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf

The newest installment of the Animal Crossing series has recently come to the Nintendo 3DS and has several new features. Hamsters and deer are two new species added to the potential resident roster, as are the personalities "smug" and "uchi"/"big sister". Customization has been expanded; now including pants, shirts, shoes, hats, accessories, furniture (items can now be hung on walls), and house exteriors, as well as new town-based customization options due to the player being proclaimed the town mayor. Designs for various items and clothing can be "downloaded" by using the 3DS camera to read generated QR Codes. Screenshots can be taken at any time and are allegedly able to be uploaded directly to Twitter or Tumblr from the 3DS. There are many other small features that have been added, but you'll have to find those out for yourself!

Events

There seem to be items that you can get at the Post Office during certain periods of time, so these'll be posted here for future reference. They're being referred to as "DLC" though as well, so I'm not really sure what to call them.

Community

Feel free to post your Friend Codes and arrange town visits in this thread if you need to.

For a full list of Codes for the users on this forum you should use the Nintendo Friend Code Catalog.

Make sure you post your FC there, too, to keep it up-to-date!

What do you all think of having a list of people's forum names paired with their character/town names for easier recognition?

Designs

After a week of playing New Leaf, you can export and import designs for clothing and other items using QR codes and the 3DS camera. Make sure you talk to Sable in the clothing store at least once a day for a week to unlock the machine that lets you create and scan QR codes. Here I'll be putting designs that people here have made, as well as various codes from around the internet. You can also find plenty of patterns to download by simply Googling "animal crossing new leaf qr codes".

From around the net

Album 1: Various clothing (referential and original), wallpapers, paintings, and carpets

Album 2: Same as Album 1, mostly referential clothing

Tools

Massive list of referential Town Tunes

Turn images into a paint-by-number for patterns

i.nintendo.net - Access from your 3DS browser to upload images to Twitter & tumblr

Guide to Redd's Gallery - Never buy a fake painting again

New Leaf Feng Shui Guide

Sorry in advance for any mistakes or incorrect information, New Leaf is my first AC game so most of my information is from somewhat hasty research rather than personal experience. Let me know if there's anything I got wrong or if you can think of anything that would benefit this thread as a whole. Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 02:35:34 PM by Regulith »

Can i design a shirt with a richard on it?

now all i need is a 3ds
love me some animal crossing

-obligatory sarcastic "Vita sells better than the 3DS" post to mock Lord Tony's fanaticism-

-obligatory sarcastic "Vita sells better than the 3DS" post to mock Lord Tony's fanaticism-

lord tony is long gone for god's sake, swallow your fanboy pride for once and just shut up about him already.

planning to pick this up on friday

The only thing vita sells are lies and broken dreams

lord tony is long gone for god's sake, swallow your fanboy pride for once and just shut up about him already.
Its a loving joke. There is no reason to get all worked up about it.

my copy was just shipped out this morning, should be here by wednesday but i wont be playing till mother's copy comes in (which could be anywhere from thursday to monday ;_;)
agony aside, i can't wait to finally play this game
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 09:39:36 AM by Blastdown »

I've never played an Animal Crossing game before, but I've always known of it and thought it was alright.
And I've heard friends recommend it, aswell as people on these forums and other places on the internet.

I'm not sure if it will be my highest priority, but I think I will eventually get it for the 3DS when it is released here.
I'd quite like to try out the series.
Plus, I could do with another 3DS title, seeing as I only have 2 3DS games that I've not downloaded.

I've never played an Animal Crossing game before, but I've always known of it and thought it was alright.
And I've heard friends recommend it, aswell as people on these forums and other places on the internet.

I'm not sure if it will be my highest priority, but I think I will eventually get it for the 3DS when it is released here.
I'd quite like to try out the series.
Plus, I could do with another 3DS title, seeing as I only have 2 3DS games that I've not downloaded.

Animal Crossing is a fantastic time waster, I must say. It gives a lot of simple but fun tasks and it's great for killing time.

I'm probably going to head out to Gamestop later this week to pick up a copy of this.

Its a loving joke. There is no reason to get all worked up about it.
If you'd shut up about Lord Tony, you wouldn't be met with such posts

OT: There was a meteor shower last night, so beautiful

OT: There was a meteor shower last night, so beautiful

oh my god please stop making me want new leaf even more

i'm dying over here

Day two lets you make your town melody so now I'm sitting here looking up what other people have used and trying out various things myself

Just made the short version of the Ballad of the Windfish from Link's Awakening, might use it

Also 98,000 Bells for a house expansion, Tom pls