CityMod

Poll

Poll closed

N/A
N/A

Author Topic: CityMod  (Read 72090 times)

Info

CityMod is a city role-playing/simulation mod that aims to set itself apart from others of its genre and generally improve the CityRP experience.  CityMod will be built from the ground up to re-write the core problems that have been the demise of many CityRP(G)'s.  Below are the planned features.

Features

• No Jobs
    Your job shouldn't be a thing that should define you.  Your actions define your job.  Want to be a shopkeeper?  Sure, why not.  Want to work in a factory at the same time to get a little more green?  Go for it.  Your "job" is dynamic; there's no longer any artificial restrictions on what you can do.
  • Witness System /  Evidence
    As a criminal, dark alleyways and secluded places are key.  Getting wanted now revolves around witnesses and evidence.  Don't feel like get caught?  Conduct your criminal activities where there are no witnesses around.  Cover your traces to eliminate further evidence, one of these ways could even be dumping all the evidence in a trash can.  Evidence can come in all forms, ranging anywhere from a dead body to your footprints and more.
  • School
    Go to school you hippies.  To be better equipped for some skills, you need to learn how to do them first.  Enroll in school to educate yourself in a certain skill.  School isn't some command that you can type in and forget about until the next tick; to study at school, you have to stay in a predefined "school campus" and do stuff.  School stuff. (I'll perfect this when the time comes)
  • Crime
    Crime comes with a penalty.  You can't just go on a spree and expect only 6 ticks to pay for your crimes.  In CityMod, your jail sentence doesn't work like that.  For each demerit you have before your jailing, an extra amount of time is added to your sentence.  Each time you are sent to jail, it increasingly becomes easier to get more time added /per demerit.  When your jail sentence reaches a certain amount, you will be given a life sentence.  If you get a life sentence, you might as well reset your account.
  • Production
    Now what am I going to do with this raw pile of wood?  Sell your resources to a factory to be produced into items, food, bricks, etc.  Those produced resources can then be sold to shops to be sold back to you.  Its a cycle which benefits everyone.

Farming will also be a part of this factory idea.  Grow crops on a farm and sell them to shops, or have them processed by other people.
  • Government
    Vote for who you think should run your city, or even run the city yourself.  The Mayor is in-charge of many important parts of the city.  He or she is able to manage the City's treasury fund, change how much the citizens get taxed, become a dictator, and many other bureaucratic tasks.  The Mayor isn't able to make these modifications on his own though;  An elected board of directors need to verify any changes for them to take effect.

Politics is a very dirty business.  Just as the Mayor can become corrupt, so too can the board of directors fall into bribes and corruption... Feel like your City's mayor has become a mini-Riddler? Start a riot, assassinate the mayor, impeach the mayor, or just graffiti propaganda over everything.  The choice is all yours.
  • Housing
    Yes, Real Estate will actually have a function now.  No more falling into holes to claim your plot of land.  Want a place to live, your own shop, or even a huge factory? With the right amount of money at hand, go buy your land from a Real Estate Agent or, if the City is very new, buy some wilderness from the government.
  • Medical
    Be the hero.  Save people's lives by reviving them; Patch wounded citizens up; Heal people in critical situations.  You can't do all this right off the bat though. To be an effective doctor or medic, you need to learn these skills and get experience. [See 'School']
  Minor Features

• Finite Bricks - Buy bricks produced from factories to build with
  • Weight & Inventory System - Ores, Lumber, and other items have weight; you can only carry so much at one time.
  • Permits / Licences - Want to sell guns?  Get a permit.  Want to own a gun legally?  Get a license.  These are only examples -- Guns won't be what its centered around.
  • Skills - To get better at something, train for it or learn it.
  • Real Food Items - Hoard that food!
  • Weather (?) - Weather that actually does something other than looking aesthetically pleasing
  • Reputation - Give others a quick view of how your record has been.  If you commit many of crimes your reputation is doomed to be low, whereas if you're an outstanding citizen, people will see your rep generally around 100.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 10:19:07 AM by Vaux »

« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 09:11:30 AM by Vaux »

I wonder, could you make a Breeder?
Like, he raises and sells dogs to people for good money.

I wonder, could you make a Breeder?
Like, he raises and sells dogs to people for good money.
I could, but it would be low priority.
Even then though, what purpose would dogs serve?

I could, but it would be low priority.
Even then though, what purpose would dogs serve?
I dunno, maybe Police could use dogs to help catch Criminals. For example, it can sniff and tell you how close criminals are to you.
Or Dogs can be pets that can aid you in killing people.

if you need any scripting or light modeling help, I'd love to provide my help.

looks good to me

I think it looks very cool.

Looks cool so far, goodluck.

Features
  • Production
           Process those resources!  Sell your resources to a factory to be produced into items, food, bricks, etc.  Those produced resources can then be sold to shops to be sold back to you.  Its a cycle which benefits everyone.
  • Government
                       Vote for who you think should run your city, or even run the city yourself.  The Mayor is in-charge of many important parts of the city.  He or she is able to manage the City's treasury fund, change how much the citizens get taxed, become a dictator, and many other bureaucratic tasks.  The Mayor isn't able to make these modifications on his own though;  An elected board of directors need to verify any changes for them to take effect.

Politics is a very dirty business.  Just as the Mayor can become corrupt, so too can the board of directors fall into bribes and corruption... Feel like your City's mayor has become a mini-Riddler?  Start a riot, assassinate the mayor, impeach the mayor, or just graffiti propaganda over everything.  The choice is all yours.
  • Housing
                Yes, Real Estate will actually have a function now.  No more falling into holes to claim your plot of land.  Want a place to live, your own shop, or even a huge factory?  With the right amount of money at hand, go buy your land from a Real Estate Agent or, if the City is very new, buy some wilderness from the government.
   Minor Features

• Finite Bricks - Buy bricks produced from factories to build with
  • Permits / Licences - Want to sell guns?  Get a permit.  Want to own a gun legally?  Get a license.  These are only examples -- Guns won't be what its centered around.
  • Skills - To get better at something, train for it or learn it.

OP knows what he's doing.

I hope this isn't another one of those city gamemodes that start up with big plans, and then slowly go down the drain.

I hope this isn't another one of those city gamemodes that start up with big plans, and then slowly go down the drain.
Yes, Vaux showed me this over IRC before he posted it in the forums.
If this gets neglected I'll explode.
We need this for CityRPG's.

OP knows what he's doing.
I basically reviewed what worked and didn't work with CityRPG's in the past and combined what all worked, in addition to some other ideas, into one big project -- CityMod.

I'm really motivated to get this project done already, and with extra nagging motivation from people i'll be sure to complete it ;)

in the original city RPG crime was supposed to form a sort of feedback loop with the police force, causing the economy to rotate around a specific pattern of events

1: criminals forget up some guy and steal his money (but produce no real money in return)
2: cops capture them, producing money (from nowhere) while the criminal gets to keep their cash
3: the cops spend their money on guns to better capture criminals
4: the guy who sells guns gets money stolen from them from criminals

(i was completely unaware of this when i worked with iban because i was a 13-year-old dunce and didn't know what the forget i was doin)

when people make cityRPGs people don't seem to catch the idea that if you remove crime, you have to add something else

what you should do is make business have a much bigger sphere of influence, and have people be able to generate income RoB-style by owning lots and selling goods to people who need it (food, material, NOT GUNS) and have guns maybe be some form of cottage industry that can only come around when sufficient materials are present, and the person who wants to make the gun has sufficient money for tools and construction

actually what would be really cool was if the building system was constrained to the point that you could only place _entire groups_ of prefabricated items (like duplications) so in order to create a house you'd need to buy- and thus find someone who sells- the specific kinds of blocks you want so you can build the thing you're trying to build, and those different prefabs have to be made of specific kinds of material

thus allowing for the economy to be a bit more robust and also giving players things to do with material besides make guns

the issue (with these elements all in play) becomes making crime interesting enough to keep people doing crimes
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 11:09:35 AM by Bushido »

I basically reviewed what worked and didn't work with CityRPG's in the past and combined what all worked, in addition to some other ideas, into one big project -- CityMod.
I'm really glad someone is using ideas similar to those I have been suggestion for a long time. The only materials that should come from nowhere are the very basic ones. You can't spend money that doesn't exist.