Author Topic: Laser Designated Artillery NOW WITH ARTILLERY BEACONS (Update 11/26/13)  (Read 10645 times)

SCROLL DOWN FOR UPDATE

Hello. I decided to take some initiative and create something that I've been dreaming about for a long time in Blockland: a laser designated artillery system.

With this device, I can make precision artillery strikes at any location. And compared to Jetz's artillery beacon, you can actually see the artillery shells being launched from cannon.

Here are some pics:

Video

You must have Gravity Cat's Howitzers installed for this to work

Anyway, setting up the system is pretty simple:

1. Plant some Howitzer Spawn bricks down in order to create howitzers.
2. Use the Laser Designator to designate a target for the howitzers to fire at. The howitzers should automatically aim at wherever you point.
3. To fire the howitzers, you have to  type "/fire <#ofshells> <delaybetweenshots> <delayvariance> <spread>". <delayvariance> basically allows each howitzer to fire at slightly different times to make the barrage look cooler. <spread> should be set to a very small number such as 0.0015 due to how it's calculated.
4. If the barrage is taking too long, you can type "/ceasefire" in chat to stop all howitzers from firing additional shells.

If you want to adjust how the trajectory of the projectile is calculated, you can type "/firemode <arg1> <arg2>" in chat where <arg1> is a number from 1 to 4 and <arg2> is a positive integer. For more info, you can open up the Support_Projectile.cs file or just fool around with the command.

Update(11/26/13)
  • RTB Server Preferences have now been implemented! You can now change how the howitzers fire without chat commands.
  • You can now set the type of ammo the howitzers will fire (The cluster shells seem to be the only good alternative).
  • There are now default values for barrages which can be changed in RTB prefs. That means if you type "/fire" without any arguments, the howitzers will fire the default barrage values.
  • You can now call down a barrage with the Artillery Beacon, that is if you have the add-on installed. There is an option to switch to the old Artillery Beacon in RTB. The beacon will call down a barrage based on the default values set by RTB

LINK:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/u8n0ckpar5cccc4/Weapon_LaserDesignator.zip
(yes, I know it's the same one, but I keep updating the file)

Upcoming Features:

You must have Gravity Cat's Howitzers installed for this to work

Also, can anyone make me a laser designator model?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 05:33:26 PM by mr. block »

Seems nice, But the shots need to be spread out instead of a straight line across

Its nice to forget around with, but it's not something that can ever be used in a DM.

Seems nice, But the shots need to be spread out instead of a straight line across

I did not implement spread for debugging purposes but I will try to implement it next time.

Its nice to forget around with, but it's not something that can ever be used in a DM.

Well obviously not at this stage of development, but I think it would be great weapon to use once I implement longer cooldowns and spread.

I am also almost done on incorporating Gravity Cat's m119 howitzer into this mod. I'm planning on making the howitzers fire in barrages.

I did not implement spread for debugging purposes but I will try to implement it next time.

Well obviously not at this stage of development, but I think it would be great weapon to use once I implement longer cooldowns and spread.

I am also almost done on incorporating Gravity Cat's m119 howitzer into this mod. I'm planning on making the howitzers fire in barrages.
So you can place howitzers and when you use the item they fire?

So you can place howitzers and when you use the item they fire?

Yes, but the howitzers have to be spawned from a specialized brick like the bot holes rather than from a vehicle spawn.

Yes, but the howitzers have to be spawned from a specialized brick like the bot holes rather than from a vehicle spawn.
Holy stuff that sounds amazing, I would love to see that

Got the howitzers to work! But I still have to do some tweaking.

that's a lot of projectiles for one howitzer

There is no kill like overkill.

Yeah, once it works with the howitzers I'd love to figure out how to make a DM based on this.
Another idea would be to let people (admins) designate dedicated targets, and the howitzers might fire there every once in a while. It'd be good for like, ambient effect.

make laser designators please

this would be awesome with rocket launchers and air vehicles that have missles that lock on lasers

There needs to be a model for the laser designator and a cooldown time between shots, And one howitzer should only shoot one shell so you can use multiple