Author Topic: In response to "No good servers"  (Read 2497 times)

This is in my dearest opinion the biggest problem with servers and why many of them go bad.

1: Host - Everyone knows this.
2: Admins - A given
3: The users - No one will admit to it, the biggest reason servers go to hell is because of those that play on them.  In order for a host to act hostile usually you have to agitate them. That is if they are a decent host. And this is what this entire topic will be on from my own experiences.

Summary of below: Users think they own the host, causing the host to hit his/her limit. When a server host joins there server just to be cursed at for a small rule its stupid.
If you don't care for long things scroll to very bottom of post.

Why do people think the host can't change his OWN rules?

Details: I run a server called Fiscon's City RPG. Now let me explain to you my problem. Everytime I join a server that uses rpg mod of any sort I get attacked. "Oh checking out the competition huh?" With my last drama topic it made the situation even worse.  That has my mood in the dump, and my favorite thing about Blockland is the city rpgs. So I can really only play my own without being harassed.  But sadly for me, as a host of a city rpg, you can't really play it yourself. Simply resetting your character isn't good enough. Because when I join I constantly have to do what I'm supposed to do, and that is monitor the users. These users are consistently breaking rules. I ban usually for 5-10 minutes. Depending on their wrong doing.  I've never banned anyone for jailing me, never have I banned anyone for killing me.  My most recent ban however was Alt-F4 because I can not stand him continually calling me a badhost for banning those who break the rules.

I'm getting off track. /ot
    So I'm severely agitated, dealing with my server like I should. I get suggestions left and right. "Do this do this." So far I've complied to every. Single. One. Refer to statement "Host's don't listen to the players" "This is what makes servers go to stuff."

• More vehicles,
    • Day/night cycle(better timing, someone had to explain that one to me cause I never used it.)
    • more guns(Very time consuming to figure out, not because I don't understand how to install addons but I had to implement them through Iban's menu, which required more then most can understand. The biggest reason why newer servers only have the default Gun, knife, taser, guns akimbo, RL, and sniper rifle. I spent a few hours on this alone deciding on weapons from rtb and testing on second dedicated as well as determining pricing.),
    • more jobs(The complication here is clothing. I was debating whether to take outfits away or not. Then understanding the script made it even more time consuming for a majority that didn't care),
    • more items(Easy once I understood),
    • gas mod(Easy install, but the gas canister was a pain),
    • more space(I took the time to refund everyone via the data file. In order to do this, I had to go to each lot, write down ID, and BL name, and figure out the worth. So I gave them the benefit of the doubt and refunded everyone with taxless lots. They still whine. I coulda just not given them anything, I mean I'm a badmin after all.)
    • elevated lots,
    • more admins(harder to do then rest),
    • different regions,
    • better bank(Thank you Hony),

So. I want to do one thing. Just one loving thing on my own server. Everytime I joined the old city rpg stores and houses were cluttered. It was ugly. So when I built new city I made a outline. In this outline it had one major rule. Business and housing were separated. I made the rule. I monitored it. I went along with it. Then a day later someone went against it. I told them it would not change. Over the course of a few minutes he bitched, he complained, he whined. He did not stop. One. loving. Rule. I made a decision to have no stores in spawn city, but understand,
the next store was 1 minute time away.

I explained to him, in real life it takes me fifteen minutes to reach the nearest store.  "This is blockland!" This is a city rpg mod inside blockland.
Then a few others began whining about it. One defended the idea. 

Oh. Just banned executioner something for make a smartass remark about users having no right on the server. I've banned this guy in a grand total of around 10 times for breaking the rules. <- Makes me a badmin huh. RTB spam :D!

So. Tell us hosts, why should we be bothered to just be spit in the face by the users? /d

Lovely assortment of photos:

This is how all City RPGs go.
This is why psp doesn't take on any responsibility for his server and shoves it into other people's laps.
You will never satisfy everyone.
You will never be perfect.
You will never be 'done'.

What you do for your server pleases some, and angers others. That's something you just have to embrace. People will be critics, but then they can't do what you do. People will also be hypocrites. While they may call you a 'badmin' for not listening, they abuse administrative power elsewhere. You're best bet is to ignore them.

However, if a majority of the players say they want something, and it's more than 50% of your player base, there needs to be some kind of change. If they all ask you for a super laser weapon that can blow through the entire map, no, that's not a good change. If they ask for a store that sells a knife, some food and maybe some health, that's something you need to be okay with, or just don't host.

Hosting is a responsibility. If you cannot take on that responsibility, do not host. It's as simple as that. Servers are like dogs. If you treat them right, nourish and play with them, over time they will learn to love you and you them. But if you beat it down, set strict rules, constantly say "no no no," that dog is gonna bite your face off, and then it's just a whole host of problems like rabies, infection, lack of a face, blood loss, etc.

nice essay u have there

OT: somewhat agree with you, most points are correct.

Hosting is a responsibility. If you cannot take on that responsibility, do not host. It's as simple as that. Servers are like dogs. If you treat them right, nourish and play with them, over time they will learn to love you and you them. But if you beat it down, set strict rules, constantly say "no no no," that dog is gonna bite your face off, and then it's just a whole host of problems like rabies, infection, lack of a face, blood loss, etc.
Don't misunderstand, I don't have a problem hosting(Unless I'm misunderstanding your statement lol). Besides validated banning is entertaining in a sense. And if I wasn't responsible with the server I wouldn't keep rtb on.  Its hilarious the requests I get. Playing  Rising Lava and you get pm'd "Hey.. can you get me out of this hole?" The funniest part is we've installed manholes!  Its like, climb them. But anyways, its just that this is simply to big to fit into a simple response post on one of those threads.

Edit: Wasn't good enough for drama section xD Whoops.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 04:32:52 PM by Elitehoser »

City's are hard to build. I've been making cities for years. Trust me. They are a royal pain in the ass. And anyone who says they can build a turn road in their sleep deserves to have a cactus shoved up their ass, because obviously their idea of a "turn" if a square turn.

The real issue with CityRP's is nobody actually RP's, its really the players fault.

Any server can be good, but it just depends on how admins act. In order for people to not be so overly-disrespectful; you have to treat them with respect too.

The real issue with CityRP's is nobody actually RP's, its really the players fault.

The OP is hosting a City RPG, not a City RP.  RPGs involve a mod that allows for the game to be more involved (such as using actual money to buy actual items and have actual hunger instead of pretending to do/have all of those things).  RPs just utilize the imaginations of those involved.  You don't need to RP on an RPG - in fact, it is frowned upon.  It is a game to be played, not imagined.

In the world of City RPGs, it is everyone's fault for how terrible a reputation City RPGs have.  The players are at fault for mucking up the server with stuffty buildings (if not supplied by the host), the administrators/moderators are responsible for ruining the server via badmining, and the host is responsible for not making a good server in the first place.  But, the City RPG mod, above all, is the most at fault.  The mod needs to be changed - everyone who cannot code uses Ibanz's, which still holds a quality associated with early versions of Blockland.  A revolution in the way we do City RPG needs to come.  This involves NOT USING A PUBLIC MOD.  Whether it's using events or using a mod, hosts need to do their own thing that is not similar to others'.  The reason people act the way they do in every City RPG is because:

If the player joins a City RPG using a mod like Ibanz's, they know they can just richard around, annoying other people because they can just go to another server JUST LIKE IT, then richard around again.  The servers that are unique are the best and most popular (with good players, not the richarding-around ones) BECAUSE they are unique.  Players don't want to be banned from these servers because they can't go play on another server just like it - that one server is the only server with the opportunity to do exactly what is hosted.  Remove the cloned mod, you remove the stuff.

Also, the good players (the ones that don't richard around and don't care about the server) are typically the older ones, have established a basic level of quality that they would accept as a server to play on.  Unfortunately, due to CRPGs having user-made buildings, they don't have the highest quality of buildings, and so these good players don't join them.  These creates a concentration of bad players (those that richard around), which creates the illusion that the server has gone to stuff.  All servers possess bad players, but when there are fewer good players, the server seems more bad-player-ridden.  Also, CRPGs allow for more player access to default Blockland functions (like building, event-based playertype changing, spamming), so there is more for the players to richard around with.  This is why TDMs appear to be the best servers, because there is very little for the players to richard with (other than shooting their teammates in the ass).  Remove access to these additional things and you lessen the bad players' ability to richard around, and thus reduce their ability to ruin the server.

I did the same thing as you, I made my own CRPG server.  Unfortunately, it was stuff, as all of them are.  I considered the ideas above and more three years ago.  So, I started a process that I am still doing to this day, and that is to make a CRPG out of events.  It's taken so long because I have evolved what I wanted out of the CRPG.  I have learned from mistakes and fixed them.  Some of these things involves getting rid of those ugly-ass pits required by Ibanz's mod to build.  Players are able to buy pre-made buildings, then build furniture in them.  This gets rid of the ugliness factor affecting the look of CRPGs.  Events are off limits to players.  Generally, player involvement with anything but playing the game is gone.  Players focus on living a life, not imagining it up, not building everything involved with it.  I have done this insofar as to possibly create a new game type, which I am dubbing a City Simulation.

When this is complete, a single player on the server will be able to enjoy the game without feeling they are missing out on something (other people).  Similarly, a server with 30 people will enjoy the same experience.  Making everything pre-made has alleviated a lot of issues that CRPGs have had in the past.  I suggest pushing towards this goal as well.

Also, i suggest not having ANY rules.  This gives players nothing to complain about.  All you have to do is limit what they can do to the point that they cannot break any rule you would have given them.

City's are hard to build. I've been making cities for years. Trust me. They are a royal pain in the ass. And anyone who says they can build a turn road in their sleep deserves to have a cactus shoved up their ass, because obviously their idea of a "turn" if a square turn.

It's all about the style.  Square turns make for very good turns if that is how the rest of the build is formatted.

Also, turns are easy to make, its making them look good/making them work with the rest of the roads that is hard to do.

The best thing ever is when some handicap goes "there is no rule against that omg you cant ban me for that bahahah troll troll" and then you ban them and they're like "WTF?!"

The thing is Fiscon, you never listened to my opinion. You never stated a reason why you specifically didn't allow shops to not be near the spawn other than "It looks ugly" "I live in a civilized neighborhood." Bull stuff man, this isn't realism, it matters off of the ability to be convenient. Your old city was perfect, there were shops right next to the spawn so you can go buy that food you most certainly need. In my opinion, it should be the shops that are next to the spawn, not houses. You were just saying "lalalalalalalala" and plugging your ears like a two year old to myself.

No one wants a big ass city where the shops are not accessible. It's not bannable if I ask you to allow shops in an assertive manner.

I am not in the wrong, and neither are you. I didn't like the change, and that's why I argued against you. It's also uncalled for that you went offline via RTB. I am in no way the bad guy here, I just wanted to get my point across that I liked the older city and how it was. If it was too small, expand it. Use your head before you reset the city and do not think about the logical way the gameplay should be.

[Also you left out some things from the pictures.]

I don't have them. I didn't intend to make a drama :/.

Oh I apologize for not showing all photos then. Can you describe what I left out and I'll just say its true, because I don't remember much anymore. I made this topic to get some steam out, and it worked.

you banned people permanently because they were (from the description of your permanent bans) annoying to only you. if a person was causing problems to the server overall by being a nuisance to multiple people, or destroying things, or breaking rules; that's a justifiable ban. what i see here is you getting rid of people simply because you didn't want them there. yeah it's your server, fine, do whatever you want. it's still admin abuse.

If you host or administrate anything half decent, you're bound to catch some flak. It's your job, either you do it or you don't.