The Future of RTB

Author Topic: The Future of RTB  (Read 8857 times)

So now that Blockland has been successfully launched on Steam it does have a couple of implications for RTB. The most obvious of those being that Steam offers some viable alternatives to RTB's chat and add-on hosting - that being Steam chat and Workshop.

I'll start by saying that RTB will continue development however following a brief discussion with Badspot we're going to be looking to develop RTB in an official capacity (meaning it's officially endorsed by Blockland and may even be offered as a DLC on the store page depending on how things play out). This does mean RTB will possibly be getting a name change or the "return to blockland" bit will just be dropped so we have a meaningless RTB acronym. More information on all of that later.

As for RTB's existing feature set - I think chat and add-on hosting can still offer things that Steam can't because it's such a purpose-built solution for Blockland's situation and that's just something Steam won't be able to compete with. It does however mean we could possibly do away with RTB logins and just use Steam accounts in the future which would be cool.

The road map for RTB is currently as follows:

• New "official" save hosting/gallery system.
  • Re-writing of dedicated hosting.
  • Re-writing of chat.
  • Re-writing of add-on hosting.

Essentially it's a big old rewrite because a lot of the code currently in place is around 4-5 years old and it's starting to creak. We'll be discussing each of those rewrites as they occur because we'd also be looking to implement more relevant and useful functionality based on the however many years RTB's been around.

The new save hosting/gallery is what we've determined to offer the most immediate value to Blockland users so it's something we'll be prioritising. Read more about what we're doing with that here.

Anyway, that's pretty much all I've got to say but I'd like to hear feedback on what you guys think and also any ideas you've got for the future direction of RTB.

Oooh, sounds neat! Will friends, favorites, etc. be carried over in a transition?

Would it be possible for RTB notifications to appear above steam notifications?

Woo, nice.
Also, don't forget to get rid of the alt+shift keybind.
EDIT: lol I said alt+enter
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 02:23:41 PM by xSetrox »

Cool, definitely looking forward to officiality, as well as what that means specifically for the save/addon hosting. Is it foreseeable to let people send saves and the like over chat?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 02:23:50 PM by Treynolds416 »

I fully agree with everything in OP and I am really looking forward to it.

Oooh, sounds neat! Will friends, favorites, etc. be carried over in a transition?

Yeah absolutely. We won't be losing anything in the re-writing so there won't be an add-on purge or anything like that.

Is it foreseeable to let people send saves and the like over chat?

Yep that's definitely a possibility. The benefit of having chat/add-ons/saves all under one roof means they can all work together for the convenience of you guys.

Yes, I like RTB much better than having to deal with steam's glitches

PLEASE add a message system. You don't know HOW annoying it is to have to find someone's name in General Discussion.

I was playing Blockland when I was thinking of something, it might already be fixed. Haven't tested either.

Pre-steam, rtb could download add-ons directly to your add-ons folder.
Now that we are on steam, how does it know where to download it to? The add-ons folder in documents or the add-ons folder in steamapps? This might have already been handled, maybe by checking a variable of whether or not you are using steam.

I was playing Blockland when I was thinking of something, it might already be fixed. Haven't tested either.

Pre-steam, rtb could download add-ons directly to your add-ons folder.
Now that we are on steam, how does it know where to download it to? The add-ons folder in documents or the add-ons folder in steamapps? This might have already been handled, maybe by checking a variable of whether or not you are using steam.
rtb downloads to the add-ons folder

rtb is in the add-ons folder

i dont know how it works but rtb likely downloads files to the same folder it is in
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 02:28:27 PM by Crispy_ »

Is there gonna be any beta?

good to hear! i was hoping something like this would happen with the steam release. looking forward to hearing more.