Converting a spherical skybox into a cubemap skybox

Author Topic: Converting a spherical skybox into a cubemap skybox  (Read 4956 times)

I have a spherical skybox that I want to use as a backdrop, except that I have no idea how to convert a spherical skybox into a cubemap skybox.

How would I go about doing so?

Scavenge the web for a spherical to cube skybox converter that may or may not be some demo/trial version bullstuff and might cost money or contain malware or just put the sky into Blender and render an environment texture.

You could do it this way (untested):

- Open Blender.
- Delete everything from scene.
- Add camera to center.
- Apply spherical skybox to sky.
- Set camera to orthographic, square resolution, about 4000x4000.
- Rotate camera to any 90° - 90° - 90° configuration (so it's always facing at right angles relative to the other camera positions).
- Render one image per direction (six total).

Now you should have six square images that can be used in a skybox. I think by using orthographic mode, you won't have problems with edges lining up, but it is untested.

I personally prefer rendering an environment texture (an actual texture type) into a cube. It does all six sides in one go but you do need to manually separate the sides from the resulting texture.

Well I've tried and failed the various methods suggested, so clearly I'm just skybox-incapable.

The skybox in question