check out my forest in progress :)

Poll

Should I add paths, boardwalk, stairs, bridge or should I keep it all natural?

add paths and some other stuff where it would be useful to hikers
21 (46.7%)
keep it untouched by humans
24 (53.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: check out my forest in progress :)  (Read 4190 times)

Hay I'm workin on a forest and just wanted to show you guys!
I changed colorsets halfway through building so the leaves are very dull greens but I plan on changing this when I figure out an easy way because fillcan would take about 500 sprays to fix it. Anyway pix

there's a lil "beehive" in this one if you can spot it^ c:

shrooms! This will get a lot more dense with foliage/rocks in the future. The hard part is making the boundaries for the entire build. At least two 'walls' will be cliff sides surrounding the forest but I'm not sure what I'll do for the other two sides...

mossy fallen tree

one more :)

this is what it looked like with the old colorset. I hope to return it to this brightness while keeping my current colorset.

Stage 2

the foliage is getting more dense and I've been adding dead leaves, moss, and small plants to forest floor.

another fallen tree (there are many small fallen logs across the map)

the creek with water in it- the problem with adding water to the whole map is that it fills up some other low areas in the forest and makes unwanted ponds, but if I use bricks for water it looks bad. any solutions? or any links to 1 or 2 stud high water bricks?

looking across the river. A cliff wall will be added to the side I'm facing here (opposite to the current cliff wall.

An example of the density of the foliage (and one of the unwanted 'ponds')
While the foliage is dense, it's still navigable but sometimes you need to crouch or change course just like with a real forest (almost all of the greens have no collision)

more density and dead leaves. What do you guys think of these leaves? Anything I can do better or do you like them?

this captures the width of the map but not so much the length, as it goes pretty far behind and ahead of the picture. (and yes there's no ground above the cliff because it's just a boarder)

cool pic (this is what the entire forest floor will look like when I'm done.

That's it for now. Any suggestions? I love hearin em :)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 02:21:10 AM by Kiro »

Goshdarnit, that's beatiful. Good work.
Also, what will you be using this for?

I'm not sure what it'll be used for, but probably some sort of serious roleplay cuz that's what I'm into

That is quite nice, but http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?board=20.0 is a better place to post it.

Oh stuff you're right lol I don't know what I was thinkin

That was a good colorset choice which one are you using for the forest?

Ohh nice. Really looks like an actual forest scene.

How big is it? Hard to tell from screenshots.

Ohh nice. Really looks like an actual forest scene.

How big is it? Hard to tell from screenshots.
Yeah with its current state there were only so many pictures I could take that wouldn't show the endless map/low sky. My biggest challenge is making boundaries go high enough/foliage get dense enough to make it so it seems like it really goes on forever/is enclosed. Currently it's 3x3 64 (zonebricks) but I'm fairly certain it'll get longer due to the problem stated above. I know that the thickness will probably stay the same because I'm just going to add another cliff side opposite the one I've already built. For one of the other boundaries I'll probably add some big rocks and maybe a water fall but for the other one there may not be another way besides just making the forest go for a looong way but only making some of it accessible. I'm predicting the final product to be around 3x9 64s but closer to 2x6 will be accessible to the average player.
Also, I've added a little sleeping bag under the overhang part but I'm wondering if you guys think I should add paths and maybe some wooden stairs/boardwalk areas and maybe a bridge somewhere or keep it all natural? I'll add a poll

I love the use of partial rounds to make mushrooms on the trees.
But the color choices are kinda off. The greens and the browns seem real muddy.

Yeah the colors are a little muddy but, if he made a swamp or a bog that'd be fantastic for it.

I love the use of partial rounds to make mushrooms on the trees.
But the color choices are kinda off. The greens and the browns seem real muddy.
Yeah the colors are a little muddy but, if he made a swamp or a bog that'd be fantastic for it.
Yeah like I said, I switched colorsets midway through building so it looks very dull. I plan on making it much brighter with the current colorset, but I'll post a picture of what it looked like with the old one

I think there needs to be some more colors other than green and brown. It looks like a forest in real life. Can you please make this more colorful? Thanks.

I think there needs to be some more colors other than green and brown. It looks like a forest in real life. Can you please make this more colorful? Thanks.
I don't really understand what you're asking/if you saw any of the times when I said I was planning on making it more colorful.
You mean like add more yellows and such?
Also my aim is to make it look like a forest in real life if that's not clear.