Someone makes and releases 114 small, easy mods? GREAT MODDER!

Author Topic: Someone makes and releases 114 small, easy mods? GREAT MODDER!  (Read 8214 times)

Someone knows how to USE A FOR LOOP? Ah, dinosaur of old coding practices.

No, seriously. I am now honestly convinced that MARBLE MAN does not know how to use a for loop or even what that is. And no, this isn't some old mod that he made way back when he just started scripting, this is code STRAIGHT OUT of his 102nd mod. Recycled from his 49th, but at least I look over old code before flat-out copy pasting it. Clearly a waste of time, though, for one so busy as MARBLE THE GOD OF TRIVIAL MODS.

Code: (RC Helicopter) [Select]
function RCCar_Cleanup(%i)
{
   if(!isObject(RCBotGroup))
      return;
   if(RCBotGroup.getCount() > 0)
   {
      RCBotGroup.getObject(0).kill();
      RCBotGroup.remove(RCBotGroup.getObject(0));
   }
   else
      return;
   if(%i>=24)
      return schedule(16,0,RCCar_Cleanup);
return RCCar_Cleanup(%i++);
}

I could rewrite this code as a much cleaner function, as shown below.

Code: (Rewrite) [Select]
function RCCar_Cleanup()
{
    if(!isObject(RCBotGroup) || (%count = RCBotGroup.getCount()) == 0) return;
    for(%i = %count - 1; %i >= 0; %i--)
    {
        (%bot = RCBotGroup.getObject(%i)).kill();
        RCBotGroup.remove(%bot);
    }
}

This function only calls RCBotGroup::getCount once, only calls RCBotGroup::getObject once per object, doesn't require a ton of unnecessary recursive function calls, and doesn't use any unnecessary schedules. In other words, it's THE PROPER WAY TO DO IT.

But you know what, the general public CAN'T be wrong. I must just not know how it's done. Who the forget needs efficient function calls and better looping of sets of objects?

I mean, it's not like we're using an engine where every optimization a mod makes counts, right?

Also, I was divided between putting this here or in Modification Discussion. In the end I decided this fit better since it's really a rant about a user.

never thought he was that good

spamming add-ons does not make you good at coding

not to mention that most of his mods are completely useless

spamming add-ons does not make you good at coding

That's sort of my point. I meet a lot of people who praise MM's stuff and dismiss me as a newbie coder because I don't have a massive quantity of released mods. Well, I do (not as many, I think roughly 25), but most of them are trivial small mods as well, with the notable exception of things like breakable bricks (really need to rework that), Avatar Saver (no one knows what this is ;_;), and a few others I can't specifically remember the names of.

That's sort of my point. I meet a lot of people who praise MM's stuff and dismiss me as a newbie coder because I don't have a massive quantity of released mods.
Ah, here is the reason this topic was created. To stuff on MARBLE MAN because your ego was destroyed by kiddies joining your server. This is shameful and pathetic and you should feel bad for creating this topic. MARBLE MAN may not be a very good programmer and he demonstrably writes sub-par code. Even if this is the case there is no reason to try and create a topic to make yourself feel better like this. It proves nothing except that you're petty and insecure -- though I'm sure that everyone already knew that.

-snip-

"I'm going to completely ignore that people are idiotic morons and dismiss the entire topic!"

Seriously, do you even realize how fundamental a for loop is? If you make it so that a for loop can't be created, you have made a computer NOT BE TURING COMPLETE. Shut the forget up and get the forget out.

"I'm going to completely ignore that people are idiotic morons and dismiss the entire topic!"

Seriously, do you even realize how fundamental a for loop is? If you make it so that a for loop can't be created, you have made a computer NOT BE TURING COMPLETE. Shut the forget up and get the forget out.
I've always suspected that there is something wrong with you, it's nice to know that I was right. A person is not their code and their code is not its author. Bad code is written all the time and in this case he could have definitely written it more efficiently. Just because you're perturbed by a block of code doesn't mean that you have to create a separate topic to repair your broken ego. There's already a thread which highlights MARBLE's wrongdoings and this isn't one of them. This is honestly embarrassing. If MARBLE is the "God of Trivial Mods" then you're the God of Pettiness and Insecurity. The only wrong done in this situation is you not seeing a psychiatrist...

I'm sorry but what is this. You literally made a drama thread just to show how much better you are at coding than MARBLE MAN, who is already gone. The only goal of this thread is an ego-boost for you.

There are far bigger things to dislike Marble for, lol.

*strokes ego some more*

i don't even think this fits in drama