2 (6.9%)
In between
2 (6.9%)
Not really
3 (10.3%)
No
17 (58.6%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: New Colorset!  (Read 2471 times)

I had a few crappy colorsets in the past but I got to the point where i can make decent colorset (I hope),

Dropbox download- https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gpz7jjqe6waxh80/gRH1gmmthg

Image Below, Medium Quality.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 02:50:54 PM by Ducky duck »

Those colors look extremely bright. I can't possibly imagine a good build such neon colors. Could you share a default build with this colorset? You can "correct" it if need be. Also, for the browns, I suggest you try experimenting with different shades. It looks as if you took one brown, and then lightened and/or darkened it a bunch of times. Instead, try using more reddish, mahogany browns, or perhaps using yellowed, old-looking browns. Having diversity in that way can lead to some amazing results.

A common thing I tend to dislike in most colorsets is the lack of balance, too. The way colorsets are divided gives you enough room for 7 columns of 9! That means you can have:
  • Three shades of a color! Try having a standard column, either a bright or dark column, and then a softs column. Remember that they don't have to be perfectly darker than each other (e.g., #4444dd leading into #000099). It's more interesting if your colors are slightly varied. On the same subject, don't have two obviously similar colors, such as blue and cerulean, in the same colorset. Each color needs its own purpose.
  • Transparents of those colors, too. Optional, but recommended.
  • A row for special colors with clear purposes. Try using 2 for Red, Green and Blue, and then the extras can include other colors, such as your completely transparent color. Some colors I recommend are a transparent blue for clear water and a medium red for blood or alarms (#a10000 is what I use for this).
  • A brownscale. Again, vary your browns. Also, it's a nice plus if your orange is dark enough to be an extra brown!
  • A grayscale, too. 9 colors, sadly, isn't much for this, especially if you want transparent neutrals.

With so much space, it seems unfair to divide your colorset so unevenly. 9 base colors is just enough to work with, in all honesty. You get Red, Orange, Yellow, two shades of green (the only color I suggest having multiples of, as it's useful for grass), Cyan, Blue, Purple, and Magenta in a single column. That's probably more than most people will use!

These suggestions only apply for general colorsets. Ones with more dedicated purposes (landscapes, a gamemode that requires specific colors in its build, etc.) should not follow my suggestions, as they usually require more monotonous or diverse colors.

Can you, or someone else, critique mine like this? Nobody really gave any good suggestions or advice when I posted and I'm curious as to what people think.

On-Topic:  I think there are too many colors in the grayscale column. I would do 8 and then add some special gray/metallic colors. Your brownscale is ok, but you should add some special browns, too. You also need some soft colors.

I kinda like

Grey shades are sooo important

Thanks for your support guys!

Im glade to see you used to pole to say you don't like it rather then saying something like "It looks like stuff".

I might be making a newer one soon with darker colors.

Can you, or someone else, critique mine like this? Nobody really gave any good suggestions or advice when I posted and I'm curious as to what people think.

I really like the arrangement of the columns, and everything seems to flow together and is convenient. Reminds me of Trueno's, but with more exterior and earth tones. Very nice.

This is just a bad edit of Trueno's

This is just a bad edit of Trueno's
It's not at all.

But it is bad, yes.

This is just not your everyday use colorset, it's not BAD, just not the kind of colorset I'd like to keep on a freebuild server for example