Author Topic: Magic: The Gathering thread  (Read 3456 times)

Magic: The Gathering is a trading card game, the first of its kind, created by Richard Garfield and introduced in 1993 by Wizards of the Coast. Magic continues to thrive, with approximately twelve million players as of 2011. Magic can be played by two or more players each using a deck of printed cards or a deck of virtual cards through the Internet-based Magic: The Gathering Online or third-party programs.Each game represents a battle between mighty wizards, known as "planeswalkers", who employ spells, artifacts, and creatures depicted on individual Magic cards to defeat their opponents. Although the original concept of the game drew heavily from the motifs of traditional fantasy role-playing games such as Dungeons & Dragons, the gameplay of Magic bears little similarity to pencil-and-paper adventure games, while having substantially more cards and more complex rules than many other card games. (Wikipedia)

To play, you first draw seven cards. [This is just how I learned it] You play the mana (land) you have. You can only play one mana per turn. But you have the mana for the entire round unless certain cards say otherwise. You 'tap' the mana by turning it to the side to play a card, which uses mana. Say a card has 3 grey(any type) and 2 mountain. You play that card and tap the mana until your next turn, where you can un-tap it and tap it again. It's a very fun game, and has even caused Florida Man to kill other Florida Man.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 11:20:32 PM by Muslim »

I have a ton of friends who play it.

Fun game, play it every day at lunch and/or morning. I usually use my red/black, where it has a stuffton of instants, sorceries and guttersnipes which pretty much gets a kill by turn 10.

By the way the deck I am going to buy is red and white primarily. What is this technically called?

never played MTG but I've been wanting to check it out.

holy crap

good job reading the reviews. I hope you like spending 19 dollars on penny cards

good job reading the reviews. I hope you like spending 19 dollars on penny cards
i read the reviews immediately after posting and i was like "nope"

i want to buy cards, but i don't know after reading what people said

« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 03:12:18 PM by Muslim »

Username relevant
Predator ooze op

So what format do you play? What's your deck?
i want to buy cards, but i don't know after reading what people said
Find a local store where you can play, trade, and buy cards, firstly. FNMs where I am are great, and ranking 1st makes it sweeter.

I was building a Bant deck based on aetherlings and advent of the wurms, but jesus that deck was expensive.

I used to go to my local card shop and do draft tournaments. Those were FUN AS HELL

On Tuesday nights there are a bunch of engineering nerds playing on campus that I make fun of.