Poll regarding hosting services

Poll

Which do you prefer? (See post)

Quick and dirty - we need a solution now!
Clean, well tested, and polished - I don't mind waiting.

Author Topic: Poll regarding hosting services  (Read 2957 times)

With the shutdown of RTB upon us, and Kaphost long gone, the only presently running hosting service that I'm aware of is CBMHost, a free service that doesn't have enough room to meet demand.
I hear hammereditor is planning on starting his service up again, but needless to say his reputation leaves something to be desired among the community.

The question is this:
How great is the want for a hosting service? Would you be willing to pay to receive a barebones hosting service like Kaphhost (remote console, start/stop, ftp, ugly interface) if it meant it was able to be launched quickly - within the next few days, or would you greatly prefer a clean and polished hosting service like RTB, at the cost of having to wait a an indeterminate amount of time (it took RTB host what, 6 months for creation and testing? a year?)?

Since I know there are a number of hosts coming out of RTB, I also think it's safe to assume that you guys are going to want a solution now, not later. The question is, how many of you actually do want it right now?

Furthermore, would anyone be interested in a hosting service of the first kind, hosted by myself?

If you are interested in the quicker solution, PM me. Plans are still up in the air, and nothing may come of it, but I need to know who specifically is interested.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 06:14:56 PM by Lugnut »

I would pay up to 10 bucks a month the per server. and that is the high end I'm willing as I will need 2 servers.
I want auto saving and loading if possible. mod uploading that is made simple.

For clarification, the "quick and dirty" solution would be tested, just not for 6 months...

Clean, well tested, well reputation, well polished. I don't want to spend my hard earned money for a stuffty service like HamHost.

But on the other hand, I would like a simple, well reputation, nice layout, quick replacement.

Clean, well tested, well reputation, well polished. I don't want to spend my hard earned money for a stuffty service like HamHost.
Would you be interested in a more-functional less-pretty service launched now, with a plan for upgrading down the road?
Rephrase: Would the aforementioned thing be acceptable?

Dirty like the scummiest alleyway.
I need... HOSTING POAWEARRRR

Why don't people just use VPS servers for now? It would probably be better actually.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 06:51:52 PM by Champion »

VPS servers are very expensive and tend to require more user experience than a use-specific service.

Think it should at least be kinda polished when money is involved. Don't need the lovely interface but at least a functional one that has what's needed to provide a decent service. Would prefer to have stuff like autosave, chat, and admin controls, even if it doesn't look great as long as it works.

Would you be interested in a more-functional less-pretty service launched now, with a plan for upgrading down the road?
Rephrase: Would the aforementioned thing be acceptable?
If you rush it and it forgets up and you have to compensate people it might not be a great start monetarily, but that risk is up to you, and so is the one of pouncing on the opportunity just as RTB goes down vs avoiding bad first impressions.

Why don't people just use VPS servers for now? It would probably be better actually.
It's a lot more expensive unless you do that server roommate thing Pecon was planning to do. It's also not exactly the best interface for specifically hosting a server.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 06:08:45 PM by -Jetz- »

what about CBMhost
I'm aware of is CBMHost, a free service that doesn't have enough room to meet demand.

Seriously read the entire OP before posting.

Because it's fuggin expensive? I might be misreading something here, but the windows VPS's start at $35. For just one server? Hell no. Who wants to pay $35 for just one server they have to manage by themselves with only the help forum to aid them?
If you're a power user, able to host via wine under linux, you're still running it yourself... but you're probably already doing something like that!
If you rush it and it forgets up and you have to compensate people it might not be a great start monetarily, but that risk is up to you, and so is the one of pouncing on the opportunity just as RTB goes down vs avoiding bad first impressions.
Rushing is not precisely the same as getting the job done quickly. But yes, I see your point.
Think it should at least be kinda polished when money is involved. Don't need the lovely interface but at least a functional one that has what's needed to provide a decent service. Would prefer to have stuff like autosave, chat, and admin controls, even if it doesn't look great as long as it works.
How would you rate Kaphost for "functional that has what's needed to provide a decent service"?

I would pay for a clean, well tested, and polished service. I think the demand and need for a new hosting service is high. I think for now, the Blockland community needs something which doesn't have to be polished and so upscale, it just needs to do the job. I think a modern, polished, and well tested service can wait. CBMHost is the only hosting service left as of now, and it does not have the server capacity to hold any more clients. We definitely need something else, whether it be clean or quick and dirty looking - it just has to do the job. Too many hosts rely on hosting services here, it is like growing corn without the soil.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 06:47:58 PM by Caribou »

I think that something that gets more polished over time will work best

I think that something that gets more polished over time will work best

I agree, the more polished service will also get many more clients.