Author Topic: A method to export key.dat files?  (Read 8984 times)

It's coming to a time where I need to change my computer, an unfortunately I lost my key an access to the email I used a long, long time ago.

I do, however, have the key.dat file.

Does anyone know if there's a method to decrypt, or export the key?

I'd like to make the move over to Steam, and would like to keep my current ID...

I know, just thought if I made the question more readily able to view...

Wish there was a way to just upload the DAT file to steam directly...

Hi. I'm here to get you your key back.

I just wrote a utility to extract a key from a key.dat file. This is nowhere near as scandalous as it sounds. It is not possible to rob people of their keys using this utility. Key.dat files are simply your plaintext key encrypted. If you have a key.dat file where you know the key that goes into it, you can actually extract the encryption key from that key.dat. Luckily, this encryption key is unique to your computer and will work on other key.dats in reverse, input the encryption key and out comes the plain text key.

Using the utility I wrote, you must have one key that you actually know and the key.dat file for the key you want to recover. To recover this key, rename the key.dat file to keyLost.dat. Then, open Blockland and input the key you know. You can then close Blockland, it has written the key.dat file. Then, open up Key_Recover.exe (which should be in your Blockland directory) and type in the key you just put in Blockland without any dashes or spaces. It then outputs your recovered key, that easy. The source code for this utility can be found here, but since I can't post an executable on the forum please PM me for a link to the executable file. I've taken the liberty in already PMing you a link, Kniaz.

No Edit: Please note, this recovery requires an actual Blockland key. This will NOT work with Steam keys, so if you purchase a second key to recover your original key, you must purchase directly from Blockland.us or Amazon.

thats a cool trick trinick

Hi. I'm here to get you your key back.

I just wrote a utility to extract a key from a key.dat file. This is nowhere near as scandalous as it sounds. It is not possible to rob people of their keys using this utility. Key.dat files are simply your plaintext key encrypted. If you have a key.dat file where you know the key that goes into it, you can actually extract the encryption key from that key.dat. Luckily, this encryption key is unique to your computer and will work on other key.dats in reverse, input the encryption key and out comes the plain text key.

Using the utility I wrote, you must have one key that you actually know and the key.dat file for the key you want to recover. To recover this key, rename the key.dat file to keyLost.dat. Then, open Blockland and input the key you know. You can then close Blockland, it has written the key.dat file. Then, open up Key_Recover.exe (which should be in your Blockland directory) and type in the key you just put in Blockland without any dashes or spaces. It then outputs your recovered key, that easy. The source code for this utility can be found here, but since I can't post an executable on the forum please PM me for a link to the executable file. I've taken the liberty in already PMing you a link, Kniaz.
Very neat. Didn't think somebody would find the algorithm so easily.

Very neat. Didn't think somebody would find the algorithm so easily.
Taking the key from 2 files and a known key is incredibly easy. Unfortunately, as he said in some other thread, this key.dat is from another computer he no longer has access to, meaning this trick will not work.

No Edit: Please note, this recovery requires an actual Blockland key. This will NOT work with Steam keys, so if you purchase a second key to recover your original key, you must purchase directly from Blockland.us or Amazon.
If the key.dat was on the computer it was created on, could you not just reverse engineer it without a second key?

Taking the key from 2 files and a known key is incredibly easy. Unfortunately, as he said in some other thread, this key.dat is from another computer he no longer has access to, meaning this trick will not work.
It's coming to a time
He hasn't switched computer yet. If he has a spare that he knows, or a friend trusts him enough with a key, then it can still be retrieved.

I do have a spare key o.o

That's awesome, I'll try it out now!

Darnit...

Gonna get the .dll and try again

Right, so I can't find the .dll

Right, so I can't find the .dll

Nevermind, think I got it

Nope, nevermind, still having .dll issues