ottosparks's CAPSLOCK GOTTA-GO-FAST MOD BONANZA (platformer bricks v2.0.1)

Author Topic: ottosparks's CAPSLOCK GOTTA-GO-FAST MOD BONANZA (platformer bricks v2.0.1)  (Read 14168 times)

it's a bonanzza!!!! i promise!

Platformer Bricks (v2)
By Armageddon, Mr.Noßody, and ottosparks
Featuring sounds from Sonic Colors.
thanks to ChristopherP and King Tinks for Brick_Corner

Grind Rails
Rails for grinding! hop on and GO!!!

IMPROVEMENTS IN V2:
•Completely redone! The system works entirely differently and more efficiently!
•Rails are based upon velocity and can be of variable size (v1 required 1x1f bricks which was awful and unintuitive!)
•A cute little arrow appears to tell you about how the rail will move!
•Rail switching functions on look direction rather than movement direction!
•Rails can be more complex within a single brick, allowing for things like turns nice and smooth-like!
•Velocity-based rails means jumping from them feels more natural!
•THEY AREN'T COMPLETELY AWFUL HAHA!

Control information whilst grinding:
+Jump to perform a rail jump in the direction you are facing. Velocity from rail travel is conserved! Keep this in mind when creating and playing with rails!
+Use left/right click to switch rails in the corresponding direction.

Eventing information:
+onGrindRailJump - Called when a player jumps from a rail
+onGrindRailExit - Called when a player exits a rail by force or by reaching the end
+onGrindRailCatch - Called when a player touches and begins grinding on a rail
+onGrindRailTransfer - Called when a rail transfers control to the next rail in line (Self refers to the old rail, Next refers to the new rail)
+onGrindRailEnter - Called when a rail receives control from the previous rail in line (Self refers to the new rail, Last refers to the old rail)

+Player->grindRailExit - Force a player to exit grinding, causes onGrindRailExit to be called
+Player->grindRailJump - Force a player to jump from a rail, causes onGrindRailJump to be called
    Parameters:
        -Exit Speed (float, -0.5 - 50) : Speed of the jump. This is the horizontal component of the jump. -0.5 causes default.
        -Jump Speed (float, -0.5 - 50 : Upward velocity applied to the jump. This is the vertical component. -0.5 causes default.

Usage Notes:
+Grind rails, though they are functional, are a complicated mess of code and may well have some bugs. Don't be surprised if some goofy stuff happens here and there.
+Rail behaviour is dictated by the datablock! This is mostly a note for modders; it is completely possible to create third-party rails and I may well generate some brief documentation on the system if the interest is there. An extremely concise explanation is that rails work as a series of points relative to the brick's centre, which the player slides between. Next and previous rails are are found by using a short raycast from the first or last points using a specified vector for direction.
+Players might be very subtly bouncy on rails; I've tried my best to minimise this as much as possible. Apologies if it is too distracting to some.

Bumpers

Bounce pads! Pretty self-explanatory; they bounce you places! They can also bounce you toward a specific location.

IMPROVEMENTS IN V2:
•a better model!! thanks mr.nobody!!
•Added control over standard bumper direction
•Added modes to either set or add velocity when hitting a bumper
•Bumpers are now completely event-driven; they plant with events by default rather than having built-in, rigid functionality.
•Target bumpers work a bit better in general
•Target bumpers' speed is adjustable by setting an amount of time for the path
•Orientation upon arrival after a target bumper is more versatile
Eventing information:
+onBumperArrived - Called at the end of a targeted bump when the player has successfully arrived. (Self is the end brick, Sender is the sending brick)
+onBumper - Called when a bumper is used

+useBumper - Activates a bumper, causes onBumper to be called
    Parameters:
        -Power (int 0 - 200) : Base upward velocity applied; zero will cause datablock default
        -Velocity Mod (vector3f) : An XYZ velocity to add to the bumper's applied velocity
        -Add/SetVel Mode : Whether the bumper will add velocity to the player or set the player's velocity.
+useDirectionalBumper - Activates a directional (horizontal) bumper, causes onBumper to be called
    Parameters:
        -Direction : Direction of applied velocity; can be Brick (relative to brick's rotation), North, South, East, or West
        -Power (see useBumper)
        -Apply upward velocity (bool) : Add upward velocity equal to the bumper power
        -Add/SetVel Mode (see useBumper)
+useTargetBumper - Activates a targeted bumper, causes onBumperArrived to be called upon reaching the destination brick
    Parameters:
        -Brick Name (string) : Name of the brick to bump to within the same brickgroup
        -Time (float 0.25 - 10) : Length of travel time in seconds; actual travel time may deviate slightly due to physics don't yell at me please sorry dad
        -Orientation Mode : How to orient the player upon arrival; can be NoOrient (don't orient), Absolute (add specified vector to brick position), Relative_Size (add relative to player's scale), Up (top of brick)
        -Orientation Vector : Used to specify vectors for Absolute and Relative_Size orientation modes

Usage Notes:
+Bumpers take precedence over grind rails and will automatically detach a grinding player.
+The brick name given in useTargetBumper will use the first brick found with the given name in the brick group.

Boosters

They boost you! Also pretty self-explanatory!

IMPROVEMENTS IN V2:
•MADE TO ACTUALLY WORK AS EXPECTED WOW!!
•Switched to new player movement speed methods
•SLIDERS!
Eventing information:
+onBooster - Called upon using a booster
+onBoosterFinish - Called upon a booster's speed boost being exhausted
+onBoosterCancel - Called upon a booster's speed boost is cancelled by the player using another booster or by cancelBooster

+useBooster - Activate a booster
    Parameters:
        -Power (float 0.5 - 100) : Movement speed modifier to apply
        -Length (float 0 - 30) : Time for the boost to last in seconds
+cancelBooster - Cancel a booster bonus

Usage Notes:
+For whatever reason, 1f drops will cancel a player's momentum with higher run speeds. It's best to embed boosters into the ground or use mods like zone events for booster effects to avoid this effect. As far as I know, this is an issue with the game's physics and cannot be sufficiently fixed by me.

General Usage Notes:
+Boosters and bumpers will come with the relevant events automatically upon placement, using default values defined in their datablocks
+Boosters and bumpers are completely event-driven! You don't need to use the bricks; they're mostly aesthetic.
+there are sounds. sorry or you're welcome oops uhh i realise that it might be annoying that there are sounds in this to some people, i might move them over to some kind of more-optional setting in future versions

PLANNED ADDITIONS
•Wall Jump Panels!
•Hang Rails?
•Arc-Bounce Pads? (like faith plates from portal 2??)
Old Videos
Platformer Bricks Demonstration
Target Bumper Demonstration
Platformer Bricks - Grind Rail Tutorial
Grind Rail Test by Freek

New Videos
grind rails v2 wip
bumpers v2 wip
target bumpers v2 wip
boosters v2 sfswdsd

Download v1 (DON'T DO IT PLEASE) (Dropbox)
Download v2.0.1 (Dropbox)

Changelog 2.0.1:
+Fixed rail jump bug jesus christ

Speedrun Events
Made during development of Platformer Bricks

Events

Player -> SpeedrunStart
This event takes one argument: the name of the speedrun. This is used for record keeping. It defaults to "Speedrun".

Player -> SpeedrunEnd
This event takes one argument: a checkbox for if record keeping is active. When set to true, records will be saved and stored in "config/server/platformerspeedrun.txt" (by default). Speedruns with the name of "Speedrun" are excluded from record keeping.

Download (Dropbox)

Ham Chats
from Hamtaro games, you daaangus!!

Comes with these ham chats by default:
bluhoo
blushie
bye-q
dazzlie
digdig
dingding
fussfuss
go-p
gogo
hamha
hamigos
hamlift
hamscope
heyhoo
hiffhiff
hulahula
koochi-q
lalalala
lookie
mega-q
minglie
no-p
oopsie
passchat
pooie
scoochie
sesam-e
smoochie
stickie
swellie
tack-q
thank-q
wait-q
wake-q
yep-p
zuzuzu

Commands:
/hamChats pg - Lists available ham chats
/chatSample chat - Gives the client a sample of the ham chat
/setHamChat player val["on", "off"] (ADMIN ONLY) - Change a player's ability to use ham chats
/setHamChatMode mode(0/"global", 1/"local", -1/"off") [silent] (ADMIN ONLY) - Changes from global(2D), local(3D), and off modes for ham chats.

Download (Dropbox)
Note: This mod adds a lot of sound datablocks. Be aware that enabling this can increase loading times quite a bit.

Other Stuff
random garbage i made in like half an hour when i was bored

Hex GUI (Dropbox)
A GUI to make hex codes. Has a few issues, but otherwise it works.

Custom UI (BLF)
Allows for custom UI by replacing GUI profiles rather than the files they use. It's not really relevant anymore if you're using Steam, and the drawbacks of incompatibility and lag when opening more complex GUI for the first time might make it unattractive, but it works at least?? I wouldn't recommend it unless you're desperate.

Cloud Generator (BLF)
jesus christ. i made this when i was interested in generation but somewhat bad at making mods, so be careful.

Wario Face (Dropbox)

wa. was for the thumb of an old warioware gamemode which i am considering posting here since it's technically functional, but it's unfinished.

Dragon Language (Dropbox)
it's some kind of translator script thing for the dragon tongue stuff from skyrim, i think it's missing like one word or something

Edit Blacklist (Dropbox)
Commands:
/editBlacklistPlayer name -Host-only, edit-blacklists a player so they cannot build or wrench.
/unEditBlacklistPlayer name -Host-only, un-edit-blacklists a player so they cannot build or wrench.
/listEditBlacklisted -Host-only, lists all edit-blacklisted players on the left side of your screen.
/enableEditBlacklist -Host-only, enables the edit-blacklist.
/disableEditBlacklist -Host-only, disables the edit-blacklist.

Features:
-Host-only commands to make certain people unable to use wrench or build on your server.
-Players who try and rejoin to bypass this are really disappointed because when you blacklist someone their blacklisting stays until you restart the server.
-Ability to list every blacklisted player.
-Auto-saves/loads the blacklist.

Known Bugs:
-Odd bug where you can blacklist someone more than once even though I thought I scripted it to prevent that. It's no real problem, once you un-blacklist someone, all of it is gone, but it's just odd.

Monopoly
this was made for fun because i was messing around on []----[]'s server and we decided to play monopoly and it was pretty fun.

IT SHOULD STILL WORK RIGHT

SO THIS ISN'T A PROPER GAMEMODE BUT IT'S A SERVER SCRIPT AND YOU NEED SOMEONE TO BE LIKE THE DUNGEON MASTER FOR IT BUT IT'S GOT SOME STUFF THERE FOR YOU TO WORK WITH IT

/startMonopoly [banker name] - start the monopoly (host-only)
/payStarters - pay people starting monies (banker-only)
/addBank [amt] -add money to da bank (banker-only)
/addMoney [target] [amt] -add money to da player (banker-only)
/rollForTurns -roll 4 da turns (banker-only)

THERE'S ALSO EVENTS FOR THIS GOSH DANG IT

Client -> MEndTurn - ends turn
Client -> MRoll - rolls da dise
Client -> MJoin - join da fun!! (set up so that players that want to play press this button beforehand)

if u want here's a SIMPLE BOARD i made 4 dis...
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11058668/Mods/Monopoly.bls
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 10:21:30 PM by otto-san »

Sucks that no one ever made anything with the grind rails; though to be fair you didnt really explain the directional ones very well, I still dont get how to use them

Sucks that no one ever made anything with the grind rails; though to be fair you didnt really explain the directional ones very well, I still dont get how to use them
did you watch the tutorial video

I have an awesome idea for a Jet Set Radio game mode, I built a map and everything I just need a spray can that does damage

I have an awesome idea for a Jet Set Radio game mode, I built a map and everything I just need a spray can that does damage

Type in bug spray on a rtb addons backup.
did you watch the tutorial video
Didn't know there was one. Watched it and it explained everything. I'm dumb.

Didn't know there was one. Watched it and it explained everything. I'm dumb.
i need to do something about teaching people how to use it other than that but idk what

i hope you release monopoly
that would be very fun

wat about ur overhaul nova pack??

i hope you release monopoly
that would be very fun
It's not nearly in a 'gamemode' state. It requires an active banker that knows the commands and how to work the systems. As it turns out, I already had methods in place to change the operator, but I just didn't implement user-friendly means to change it. I've now done that, but I'll need to find the time to test it somehow before releasing.

to find the time to test it somehow before releasing.
just occurred to me, if anyone really wants the monopoly mod and can host, PM me and we can arrange some testing

we'd need a small group of people willing to play and try it out, and a host that's patient enough to work with me lol

i'm not able to host with my internet, so an arrangement like this would be necessary to actually release it

The Cloud Generator makes cloud bricks?

The Cloud Generator makes cloud bricks?
no, it makes you build generated cloud layers