Pen and Paper Roleplaying Games - GETTING A GROUP TOGETHER

Author Topic: Pen and Paper Roleplaying Games - GETTING A GROUP TOGETHER  (Read 4080 times)

Can we do Pathfinder? I like it better than D+D. Plus, I can use my character sheet for my other game.

roll for shoes: http://story-games.com/forums/discussion/11348/microdungeons-i-roll-to-see-if-i-have-shoes-on/p1

read those rules - it'll take you 30 minutes TOPS absolute loving TOPS if you have never played a game before
average people probably get the gist of it in like 10 minutes
experienced tabletop players can get it down in sub 5 minutes

if you all are interested, i can run a game with that system over skype either tonight (not likely) or tuesday (more likely) just to give you a feel for how tabletop games run. it's not a perfect idea - but the game system is free, D&D isn't
i'll need some serious selling if i were to run a game with D&D - 1: i have only 4e rulebooks and 2: people like night fox who've never played before have NO rulebooks.
would microlite work for the more experienced players? it's a bit of a midpoint - it's free, it's downloadable, the core rules are printed entirely on a 8.5x11 sheet of paper (so it's easy/simple), and everything else is just supplementary material (it still has a nice hunk of fleshed out material).
it might just be me but i think their site is being ddosed or something. i'll find another link if people say it isn't working
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 01:17:17 PM by Lugnut »

oh, and I have a honorary lifetime subscription to roll20.com for finding a security vulnerability - this means that any campaigns ran through that that i am a part of can utilize the advanced features like dynamic lighting... and all the other stuff, i don't remember what it was

Sounds like fun, I'd like to join too

I have an idea for a game world but I have yet to put it in writing.

OFFICIAL BLOCKLAND PARTY (sure I guess?)
List of players:
Lugnut (DMing)
Night Fox
ZombiLoin

List of possible players:
Masterrockets
Paradon
Biohazard
Childofdarkness
Kingdaro
Cassord
Flatflyer
Wilsonhigsbury
AnvilsMew

What we're probably going to be playing: Microlite or Roll for Shoes
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 10:36:15 PM by ZombiLoin »

I explicitly said we probably wouldn't be using d&d, I also explicitly said I cannot run pathfinder.

I never got used to the vast amount of monsters and forming encounters never was my strong suit. Microlite has fewer monsters and an easy way to make more that I can comprehend. I'm only gonna run a game I'm confident in.

OFFICIAL BLOCKLAND PARTY (sure I guess?)
List of players:
Lugnut (DMing)
Night Fox
ZombiLoin

List of possible players:
Masterrockets
Paradon
Biohazard
Childofdarkness
Kingdaro

What we're probably going to be playing: DnD 4e or Pathfinder

why am i not on this list

I guess I can join
I'll have no idea what's going on but I guess I'll join if you guys let me.

I explicitly said we probably wouldn't be using d&d, I also explicitly said I cannot run pathfinder.

I never got used to the vast amount of monsters and forming encounters never was my strong suit. Microlite has fewer monsters and an easy way to make more that I can comprehend. I'm only gonna run a game I'm confident in.
Ok.

Or we could go old-school and rock Basic DnD.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 03:42:35 PM by ZombiLoin »

i don't have rule books or anything so

What're we going to do first?

I would like to join but I have some questions, will we be using any sites to play one of these games on and when will we be doing this?

What're we going to do first?
certainly step 1 is to add each other on whatever we're gonna use. imo skype is a better choice than steam in general, as well as the fact that it's free (no need to buy a game)
my skype name is somebody.dead
and just in case, my steam is foxscotch

I already added lug. and I think it would be easiest to get the group chat together on skype (or steam) and decide all the details there

everyone add lugnut1206

if you already have me added (I'm named Lugnut currently) send me a message saying so

i intend to use roll20 for dice rolling even if for no other reason because i have literally seen the underlying technology - that stuff is cryptographically secure as best as I can tell.

i intend to run roll for shoes for the first session with the new guys so i can get a feel for everyones playstyle - this is very important
if we go into a higher level more complicated system like microlite, that's perfectly fine by me

i have an idea for a campaign for d&d... it isn't thoroughly fleshed out, and it's apparent that people having d&d rulebooks is sparse at best, so we might not do that. I can run it in microlite though.