No Observers

Author Topic: No Observers  (Read 4606 times)

Code: [Select]
package NoObserversPackage
{
  function SimObject::onCameraEnterOrbit(%obj, %camera) {}
  function SimObject::onCameraLeaveOrbit(%obj, %camera) {}
};

activatePackage("NoObserversPackage");

This could potentially break other addons.

If your add-on depends on that function then you should use another function. By default, all it's used for is the observers message.

what functions do you recommend instead?

Cool someone finally made this.

Wow thanks!
But i wanted this client-sided sooo....
Great.

What exactly is the point of that other than making admin abuse on stealthy servers easier?
Uhh, make it easier to catch people in the process of doing things they shouldn't be? I thought that was the whole point of "spying" in the first place.

Why not just overwrite the functions outside a package? That way you don't risk breaking other mods that package it.

What exactly is the point of that other than making admin abuse on stealthy servers easier?
The point of spying on users is to watch them without being noticed. If I suspect a user is breaking a rule or something and I want to spy on them, it's not helpful when they know I'm doing so.

Code: [Select]
package NoObserversPackage
{
  function SimObject::onCameraEnterOrbit(%obj, %camera) {}
  function SimObject::onCameraLeaveOrbit(%obj, %camera) {}
};

activatePackage("NoObserversPackage");

This could potentially break other addons.

No, because other add-ons should be using a parent.

Why not just overwrite the functions outside a package? That way you don't risk breaking other mods that package it.

Overwriting them outside of a package would be even worse because you couldn't turn it off if needed.

Overwriting them outside of a package would be even worse because you couldn't turn it off if needed.
Your add-on doesn't appear to have a way to turn it off anyway. Perhaps the best results would come from reconstructing the functions entirely but introducing a preference to toggle it.

No, because other add-ons should be using a parent.
Wait, what? If another add-on modified these functions, the load order would determine if that one worked as it should.

Your add-on doesn't appear to have a way to turn it off anyway.

Does deactivatePackage not count? :(

Perhaps the best results would come from reconstructing the functions entirely but introducing a preference to toggle it.

That would still overwrite other add-ons using it regardless depending on the name of the add-on. The default function doesn't return anything, so there's not really any gain to functions that package it and call the parent either.

Oh, I didn't realize Port was using packages in this.