Author Topic: Chadvayne (27457) - "i like pissing people off"  (Read 2033 times)

it's an issue of there being a divide at all. it's classic pay2win and pay2win justification, it's coaxing players into spending cash on things by making them mechanically worse then the system they actually revolve around. it's false advertising, it's underhanded, and is a mechanism to exploit children in particular who dont know better and will go to someone like a parent to point money wherever the forget in order to make them happy
Um...this is how the ENTIRE world works.

Just because every company uses the same tactics to get illegitimate money doesn't mean we should endorse it in our own corner of the world that we can control. Logic like that is how fundamentally wrong systems manage to get embedded in our culture for decades until they're finally rooted out.

that's somehow a worse excuse then i expected

like i totally thought someone was going to say 'but no bushido tezuni has to make profit in order to maintain his seventy-billion-server-wide cookie-cutter nothing-special empire so it's totally OK for him to exploit kids and their parents wallets'

a lot of people have problems with the 'way the world works'. pay2win bullstuff and the freemium is actually one of the most controversial things in gaming today because it DOES WORK for it's intended purpose. you DO get money out of it. it's just that everyone except that one target audience will hate your stuff for it and will most likely entirely boycott your product out of spite. it's the whole reason why- for instance- the iOS and android app store is less an ideal indie wild west where anyone can make a profit if they put heart and guts into making something worthwhile and more like exploitationville USA; the only audience present is composed of people who are too stupid to notice they're being straight farmed since the rest of the audience doesn't want to deal with candy crush saga's tendency to be more expensive and more addicting then forgetin crack cocaine

like i totally thought someone was going to say 'but no bushido tezuni has to make profit in order to maintain his seventy-billion-server-wide cookie-cutter nothing-special empire so it's totally OK for him to exploit kids and their parents wallets'

a lot of people have problems with the 'way the world works'. pay2win bullstuff and the freemium payment model* is actually one of the most controversial things in gaming today because it DOES WORK for it's intended purpose. you DO get money out of it. it's just that everyone except that one target audience will hate your stuff for it and will most likely entirely boycott your product out of spite. it's the whole reason why- for instance- the iOS and android app store is less an ideal indie wild west where anyone can make a profit if they put heart and guts into making something worthwhile and more like exploitationville USA; the only audience present is composed of people who are too stupid to notice they're being straight farmed since the rest of the audience doesn't want to deal with candy crush saga's tendency to be more expensive and more addicting then forgetin crack cocaine

it's not an issue of 'dang, i sure do wish that i could become a donator without donating'

it's an issue of there being a divide at all. it's classic pay2win and pay2win justification, it's coaxing players into spending cash on things by making them mechanically worse then the system they actually revolve around. it's false advertising, it's underhanded, and is a mechanism to exploit children in particular who dont know better and will go to someone like a parent to point money wherever the forget in order to make them happy
Just because every company uses the same tactics to get illegitimate money doesn't mean we should endorse it in our own corner of the world that we can control. Logic like that is how fundamentally wrong systems manage to get embedded in our culture for decades until they're finally rooted out.

a lot of people have problems with the 'way the world works'. pay2win bullstuff and the freemium is actually one of the most controversial things in gaming today because it DOES WORK for it's intended purpose. you DO get money out of it. it's just that everyone except that one target audience will hate your stuff for it and will most likely entirely boycott your product out of spite. it's the whole reason why- for instance- the iOS and android app store is less an ideal indie wild west where anyone can make a profit if they put heart and guts into making something worthwhile and more like exploitationville USA; the only audience present is composed of people who are too stupid to notice they're being straight farmed since the rest of the audience doesn't want to deal with candy crush saga's tendency to be more expensive and more addicting then forgetin crack cocaine
I'm in full agreement with all of this. I hate frickin "donator only" stuff. It's bad enough when it's a garbage cosmetic item that's worth nothing but bragging rights but when he expects me to fork over my cash just so i can beat some other poor sap in his online game, GOD NO!

the term "donor" is a misnomer in most cases anyway
if there's advantageous benefits for it then you're practically buying those but the host tries to put it under the presumption that you're doing it to help the server's longevity

the term "donor" is a misnomer in most cases anyway
if there's advantageous benefits for it then you're practically buying those but the host tries to put it under the presumption that you're doing it to help the server's longevity
basically this
and then the host shuts down the server when it stops making him loads of emone.
and then all that cash you payed him to "help keep it up" instead goes into buying him new steam games until he's finished planning his next get-rich-quick scheme.