Annie's Medieval RP Unfair Ban

Author Topic: Annie's Medieval RP Unfair Ban  (Read 6629 times)

Pretty much what Heed said. RP combat is the worst thing ever.

I was on the server about a week ago and decided to rob some guy in the inn. He somehow happens to come back to his room, pull a spear out of nowhere and somehow always knew what I was gonna do. Throw something at him? He blocks it and suddenly his spear is on my throat and I can't struggle, or my throat will be torn apart. I managed to run away from him, but guess what? He chased me and suddenly learned to use magic, which can't be blocked with normal means. I had a magic sword that could block his gigantic fireball and guess what? They start yelling at me for having OP powers...

I was on the server about a week ago and decided to rob some guy in the inn. He somehow happens to come back to his room, pull a spear out of nowhere and somehow always knew what I was gonna do. Throw something at him? He blocks it and suddenly his spear is on my throat and I can't struggle, or my throat will be torn apart. I managed to run away from him, but guess what? He chased me and suddenly learned to use magic, which can't be blocked with normal means. I had a magic sword that could block his gigantic fireball and guess what? They start yelling at me for having OP powers...
wow. that's bullstuff

Most of the time, the server is pretty good though, but as soon as my character decides to do something other than sitting in the inn and listening to the other people, he nearly gets killed by someone...

This sounds like crap. I think this sort of RP would work out with a dice mod though. So instead of having like a 100% chance of not doing whatever you tried to do because obviously the person's not going to just let you do it, you have an actual chance.
Except the good RPers DO let you do it at least some of the time. That's sort of the goal.
imo if you stab someone in the back they wouldn't have a realistic chance of dodging the loving knife.
Which is why most assassins are banned on sight; one does not simply walk up and stab a random passerby. That's just plain stupid. The server is not focused on combat, and as such, players who continually focus on combat are very out of place. We do not tolerate people who try to kill everything in sight.

I don't recall being present for that particular incident. What was the name of the character you decided to "rob"? Why did you decide to "rob" him?

I'm pretty sure we should just throw our hands up and add Thieves and Assassins to the list of things you should not be. They're almost impossible to RP fairly; the people that do so are very few and far between, and very VERY careful. The idea is that in real life, we don't have 50% of the population as thieves and assassins, so why the hell do 50% of the players want to be thieves and assassins? I just don't get it. That's not a good thing to do.
Ideally, an RP server is not all about combat. If you're joining an RP server just to kill people and/or piss them off and/or steal their stuff, you probably shouldn't be joining the server.

Except the good RPers DO let you do it at least some of the time. That's sort of the goal.Which is why most assassins are banned on sight; one does not simply walk up and stab a random passerby. That's just plain stupid. The server is not focused on combat, and as such, players who continually focus on combat are very out of place. We do not tolerate people who try to kill everything in sight.I don't recall being present for that particular incident. What was the name of the character you decided to "rob"? Why did you decide to "rob" him?

I'm pretty sure we should just throw our hands up and add Thieves and Assassins to the list of things you should not be. They're almost impossible to RP fairly; the people that do so are very few and far between, and very VERY careful. The idea is that in real life, we don't have 50% of the population as thieves and assassins, so why the hell do 50% of the players want to be thieves and assassins? I just don't get it. That's not a good thing to do.
Ideally, an RP server is not all about combat. If you're joining an RP server just to kill people and/or piss them off and/or steal their stuff, you probably shouldn't be joining the server.
They're assassins because they think that they're cool and they can be a really deep character if he's an assassin with a tortured past and he's all evil and stuff, but no. I'm being a modest thief. my char steals stuff because he's poor and he needs money, but no one'll accept him into a job because he's to lazy or he doesn't have enough skills or something. :p

he's to lazy
Found your problem.
Also remember: you got banned for providing no time whatsoever for the victim to react.

Found your problem.
Also remember: you got banned for providing no time whatsoever for the victim to react.
Yet again, I was being stupid. :P

No system of game mechanics could handle the stuff that goes on here, and it shouldn't need to.
I personally hate RPG combat systems. Everything is based on power level and grinding and it fails to be fun after about the first five minutes. But that's just my opinion.
Have you ever heard of or taken a look at how D&D works?
It's actually p fair in terms of what you're talking about.

Now that I think about it, almost all of the problems listed here could be solved by adhering to dice controlling whether or not an action succeeds or not.
DnD RP anyone?

At least random number generation is conclusive

My character name was Rennac or something like that if I remember correctly... Can't remember the guy I was robbing. Also, you say half of the people want to be thieves, yet every time I've been online, all I see are cat-people, who have nothing to rob, a few odd knights and maybe a dark elf too...

My character wasnt exactly a thief... Just a mercenary who just needed money for food and whatnot. And since he had no clients, he had to resort in stealing.

Have you ever heard of or taken a look at how D&D works?
-snip-
DnD RP anyone?
i <3 dnd

Heed, this was never an RPG to begin with. It's designed for people having fun while still playing fair. No system of game mechanics could handle the stuff that goes on here, and it shouldn't need to. This server was not designed to be some award-winning mmo, Heed, and you need to realize that if it's good enough for the participants that's all that matters.
I personally hate RPG combat systems. Everything is based on power level and grinding and it fails to be fun after about the first five minutes. But that's just my opinion.
Furthermore, anyone who actually attempted to use your comment there would be banned for sheer idiocy.
Heed brings up a good point though.  Playing fair is never anyone's objective, because there's always that one guy who "takes on the powers of darkness", and is therefore invincible.  I mean you ban a guy for stealing something, but the RP system by order of word, you argue, is more fair.  Seems ironic to me.

And your version of idiocy sounds more like " my way or the highway."

Noedit.
Seems ironic to me that you're hellbent on giving players time to react rather than the simple means to react.

If I was a visitor to any RP, it would be more enjoyable if everyone had the same opportunities and abilities.  This is what makes the RPG system more fair, in that everyone can rise to power by their own abilities.