Author Topic: should I download windows 8.1?  (Read 1507 times)

/title, I'm worried about the compatibility stuff and the games stopped working, do the new update breaks something? I got windows 8.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 08:07:06 AM by Fab »

Wait till everyone says its safe

Let others suffer before you. And when all is well, download it.

I know I am in the minority, but I highly don't recommend it unless you have a Windows 8.1 installation disc. First time I tried to upgrade it (from the microsoft app store) on my Windows 8 PC, it broke my whole computer (stuck in a boot loop saying it was trying to restore the previous version of Windows) and I had to wipe it. And I can't refresh/restore my operating system because I downloaded 8.1 and the windows 8 advanced boot options don't work with 8.1.

Right now, I have it kinda working and it's very unstable for me. I'm reverting back to 7 then back to 8 but I'm not going to 8.1 because it's been a disaster for me.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 12:36:59 PM by Acerblock »

I don't have Windows 8.1 yet, but that is mostly because I have three hard drives and I'm too lazy to take the spares out while updating.

I've been using Windows 8.1 (online upgrade, no disc) ever since it was released, I have no problems whatsoever.
But maybe I'm just lucky.

yes same as crazycom i got it online oh and i dual boot windows 8 with 7

windows 8.1 (should) support everything windows 8 supports. all this incompatibility stuff is likely the cause of people who have programs that make windows 8 like windows 7. idiots. if you want windows 7, windows 7 would be perfect for you.

windows 8.1 (should) support everything windows 8 supports. all this incompatibility stuff is likely the cause of people who have programs that make windows 8 like windows 7. idiots. if you want windows 7, windows 7 would be perfect for you.
Wrong, some security programs I have used in the past, like ComboFix, don't work on 8.1.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 08:29:36 AM by Acerblock »

Wrong, some security programs I have used in the past, like ComboFix, don't work on 8.1.
i dont even know what this is, but a quick google search confirms this. idk why tho

Yes. I dont have any incompatibility issues at all and never have with windows 8. The new features are worth it

8.1 has been nothing but a good thing for me

i think i might stick with seven for some more time then get myself a new windows 8 laptop
also i just want a new laptop since running minecraft maxes out the cpu

Yes. I dont have any incompatibility issues at all and never have with windows 8. The new features are worth it
This.

And don't worry about the whole "oh my god start button is gone!" because you can just right click the Win. 8 start icon and select 'Search' and it functions just like the normal Win. 7 start button.

>promises to bring the start button
>fails to keep promises and gives you something else

This.

And don't worry about the whole "oh my god start button is gone!" because you can just right click the Win. 8 start icon and select 'Search' and it functions just like the normal Win. 7 start button.
he already has windows 8, he's scared about 8.1