[Brick] Open Book

Author Topic: [Brick] Open Book  (Read 6882 times)

I noticed now that the if you where to close the open book, it would be a decent amount taller than the closed version. Like the open version has way more pages.

I noticed now that the if you where to close the open book, it would be a decent amount taller than the closed version. Like the open version has way more pages.

I wanted it to match the other books thickness, but you're right.
It makes sense if you don't think about it.

As for the print problem, I do have the brick editor but I never fully learned how to use it. As for the ratio, if I split it into 4 print for the covers, I might as well also make a leaning standing and overturned open book variant for the cover to be relevant.
However, wouldn't that look off? Having papery prints also carry to the cover?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 10:20:35 AM by Mr.Noßody »

I don't think I understand.

If you had prints to specifically look like book pages, wouldn't that print look strange mirrored on the covers?

No, because the pages should be transparent, and you can selectively choose where on the print you want a side to show.

Look at my Polycubes for reference. Anything with UV coordinates 0 0, 0 0.5 , 0.5 0, and 0.5 0.5 shows only the top-left corner.

The print could be like this for example:

[ PAGES  ][ PAGES  ]
[ COVER ][ COVER ]

Yeah, I don't know what I'm doing.
Gonna need somebody else to do the print faces, cause I'm lost with this stuff.

Since Peejster did that already, guess he could help, if he agrees (assuming everyone in internet is a boy unless told so)

Yeah, I don't know what I'm doing.
Gonna need somebody else to do the print faces, cause I'm lost with this stuff.

Give me your skype over PM and we can talk it over when I'm free / awake.

Looks great!

I noticed something. The pages are little too thick on the open brick.
Shouldn't both sides be 1/2 of the original page width of the closed book?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 01:32:19 AM by Sentry »

that would look horrid
but 1x2f prints do the same thing

Looks great!

I noticed something. The pages are little too thick on the open brick.
Shouldn't both sides be 1/2 of the original page width of the closed book?
I wanted it to match the other books thickness, but you're right.
It makes sense if you don't think about it.

As for the print problem, I do have the brick editor but I never fully learned how to use it. As for the ratio, if I split it into 4 print for the covers, I might as well also make a leaning standing and overturned open book variant for the cover to be relevant.

I have experience with manual-brick-editing, also prints, i could modify your brick to have 2 of the same print on each page (one on print per page). Two different prints on the same brick is impossible.

I have experience with manual-brick-editing, also prints, i could modify your brick to have 2 of the same print on each page (one on print per page). Two different prints on the same brick is impossible.

I would greatly appreciate any help on this I can get.
Tell me what you need and Ill send it over.

False.
The UV texturing can relate specifically to a portion of the image.
If a print .png is sectioned into, let's say, 4 parts (512/2x512/2) you could assign a 256x256 of each corner to a different face, effectively creating a brick that has 4 different things on it, but from the same print.

And then there's movement offsets for 2 bricks which can also allow that, but it's harder to set up. Basically a brick would be the cover and a brick would be the pages. This will also allow different colors between pages and cover, and allow the cover to have a different print from the pages, but you need to get the offset right and when making the brick you need 2 bricks in the menu for it to function correctly. What could also be done but requires manual editing is to make the cover brick also have white pages. The white pages would be manually all put as "top" quads and basically if you put the "custom" pages with a separate print and color over it, the pages under it effectively disappearing thanks to coverage and culling, thus creating the "cover" brick the same as you have in OP and the ability to put a "pages" brick over it which would make the pages customizable.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 01:23:23 PM by LeetZero »