Poll

Do you think Half Life 2 Beta would be better than retail?

Yes
22 (44.9%)
No
8 (16.3%)
I can't really decide
19 (38.8%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Half Life 2 Beta discussion V2 - Interesting enough to make a topic of.  (Read 15474 times)

Half Life 2 Beta, what more do I have to say?

Images

Also, how would you feel going up against this thing?

Videos

http://youtu.be/rkjg6ck5sro

http://youtu.be/hyH5aD1zZn8

http://youtu.be/a3PvpCYg8-k

http://youtu.be/WwtVKKtnawI

http://youtu.be/MgB525MuxR4

Trivia!

• In the town of Ravenholm, there were supposed to be corpses of dead children scattered throughout the map.
  • Bullsquids were still in the game
  • The Ichthyosaur was supposed to still be in the game. In the murky cbrown town waters. That you had to swim through.
  • The Cremator's (as seen above, the guy with the creepy white mask) head was made by child workers in a factory under supervision by a Metrocop. (as seen in the e3_industrial video)
  • Civil Protection were referred to as "Metrocops"
  • There was supposed to be a 'Combine Assassin', which had the head of the elite Combine soldier but the body of a female. It could dodge most of your bullets and do backflips to get to you then damage you with melee before jumping back. It also wielded dual pistols.
  • The Consul (the bald guy you see in some of the HL2 Beta images and on screens in the HL2 Beta) was supposed to turn into an alien when confronted by the character like a final boss. However, this was all discarded when Administrator Walter Breen took his place in HL2 Retail.
  • City 17 was supposed to be an American East Coast-like city based on Washington, D.C., with many huge skyscrapers

There are a lot more HL2 Beta images and videos, too many to fit into this one thread, so I go suggest looking them up. Really interesting.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 07:45:50 PM by Decepticon »

I wish they had kept some of the Half-Life 1 enemies in the game like bullsquids, houndeyes, and ichthyosaurs.
Combine Guards would have been loving awesome too.

Consul:

Captain Vance his Conscripts:
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 02:32:50 AM by Harm94 »

the Ichthyosaur would have made the cbrown town mission much more interesting

the Ichthyosaur would have made the cbrown town mission much more interesting

This.
I don't understand why they scrapped them and bullsquids, houndeyes, etc.

Also, the Mortar Synth

and the Crab Synth

The Mortar Synth is an incomplete Half-Life 2 aerial enemy only glimpsed towards the end of the game in the Citadel on a conveyor belt along with the Crab Synth, during Gordon Freeman's second pod ride. It is unknown where it is transported to, as it is never encountered in combat anywhere during the game or its episodes. With the Crab Synth, it is said to be "the backbone of the Combine's subsequent armies"

The Mortar Synth consists of a fleshy, triangular body with a mortar located on its back. Its front end features many spiked protrusions and various mechanical systems. Hovering low above the ground, it was to use its mortar to throw "energy grenades"[2] flinging upwards its rear section, similar to a catapult. It was likely to be used as a support infantry by the Combine, its attack allowing it to hit only far targets, being inefficient at close range (according to the file "skill.cfg" in the Half-Life 2 files, its energy grenades were to have a good range, but only inflict minor damage to targets).

The Crab Synth is an incomplete Half-Life 2 enemy only glimpsed towards the end of the game in the Citadel on a conveyor belt along with the Mortar Synth, during Gordon Freeman's second pod ride. It is unknown where it is transported to, as it is never encountered in combat anywhere during the game or its episodes. With the Mortar Synth, it is said to be "the backbone of the Combine's subsequent armies".

The Crab Synth has many spiked protrusions and various mechanical systems on its front and rear. According to its model animations, it can charge at targets like the Antlion Guard, but with likely even more damage due to its size. It also uses a Gatling gun-like weapon, but only when walking (as seen in its walking animation and concept art). When not walking, it is stored under its belly, hidden behind a plate.

Unlike the Mortar Synth, the Crab Synth can be hurt and killed if spawned. Upon contact, red blood will appear, in the same manner as with the Half-Life 2 version of the Ichthyosaur, as they are incomplete NPCs, not to come in direct contact with the player during normal gameplay.

Also guys, if you look through the sound file of Half Life 2, you'll find something like;

"d1_town_child_scream_01"

I think it's supposed to be the screams of the children from the Beta.

You can hear it in Retail though, it only plays in Ravenholm though and it sounds like a woman's scream
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 02:48:44 AM by Decepticon »

obv this is a creepypasta game

Don't Forget Mr. Friendly!

In the beta, you can actually go on the Borealis and not have to wait god knows when HL3 will come out. There was a recreation of the Borealis level which a mod called "Missing Information". Unlike the Borealis in the retail, it's on water and full of Combine and headcrab zombies.

TBH I liked the Old citadel better than the current one

I'll post pics of it in a bit

I always thought the HL2 beta was really eerie.